Anyone ever hear of a Super Cycle?

I am an occasional unicyclist - just started riding again after about a 30 years - I am 43 now. I have a 26in Torker which I really enjoy.
Lately I had been sketching what I thought would be a new design for a geared unicycle with the sprocket in front of the wheel…

I was on ebay the other day and to my dismay, found this exact design of unicycle for sale. So much for my original idea. But I would like to try to ride it to see what it is like. I just won the ebay auction for the gizmo today.
The unicycle is called a “Super Cycle” - looks from the pic to be older - maybe 1970’s. Anyone ever ride one? Or hear of one?
I attached a couple of the ebay pics if they show up.

Tim

supercycle.jpg

Supercycle2.jpg

Seems like you’ve got some extra wheels there. Very interesting, though. Here’s another thought:

Also very unique. :slight_smile:

To answer your question, i can honestly say i haven’t heard of one. Still it looks preety cool. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: The modern version of the Super Cycle must be this. http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=758

Those things were most commonly called skatebikes, combining part of a skateboard with part of a bike. But the earliest version that I saw was called Rodeocycle. Sem Abrahams and family brought one to the 1983 USA Convention, which was my earliest exposure to one. Yours came later and is probably from the mid to late 80s (guessing).

Unfortunately it’s more tricycle than unicycle, and probably has a freewheel. The Rodeocycles had a fixed gear, which made them more interesting to play around with, as you could ride them on the back wheel, backwards, etc.

thats not really a unicycle…its more like a tricycle. It looks odd.

Wow - quick replies!

That new version(the link that was sent in the reply) says that it has a coaster brake. I do not know if the hub on the rear of the one I bought freewheels, brakes, or is fixed. It does have a caliper brake on the rear wheel, so I am hoping it is a fixed gear.

Thanks,
Tim

Wow - quick replies!

That new version(the link that was sent in the reply) says that it has a coaster brake. I do not know if the hub on the rear of the one I bought freewheels, brakes, or is fixed. It does have a caliper brake on the rear wheel, so I am hoping it is a fixed gear.

Thanks,
Tim

But not nearly as "uni"que as Jeff Baker a/k/a Unibiker (R.I.P.)

I have a friend named Jeff Baker… weird.

“SuperCycle” is just the brand name. It’s a budget bike company sold by a hardware store here in Canada CanadianTire.

Funny, just yesterday I was riding my b*ke and I saw a kid climbing a tree and he had same kind of “unicycle” as that lying on the ground. I was in a hurry so I didn´t ask him about it, but it bothered me what it was. Hmm, maybe next time I´ll ask if can give it a try :slight_smile:

I have seen something like your supercycle, but it was direct drive like a unicycle. the skateboard trucks and wheels just made for “training wheels.”
I don’t personally know the guy who owns it, but it was cool to see.

Yes I rode those. I bought two for my daughters back in the early 90’s, If I remember correctly. They are a lot of fun to ride, but not enough to replace the unicyle. I still think the unicycle is a lot more interesting and fun.

My dad owned a motorcycle shop in the 80s. He sold the supercycle. I’m 43 now and I’m remember having a blast on them. Get one and u we will see what I’m talking about. I wish I had one now. Riding wheelies, jumping them. Anyway. If u come a cross one, ride it.

Just got rid of the one I had very recently. I think a larger wheeled version would be much better. I was too big for it.