Any tips?

Hello, i have become fairly experienced with riding forward, but now i just have to work on steering better, getting on the uni, and idling…pzl help me with this, i learned to ride from you guys, and i want to get better. Thx :wink:

since when does somebody have to learn idling.

Now? I almost killed myself today trying it.

its not like you just hop on a uni and you can ride, idle and reverse. It takes time, and the time is now. I need help! :angry:

Maybe have a look through www.unicycle.2ya.com if you haven’t already. I thought I already posted in this thread…apparently not though??

Andrew

There’s nuthin there on how to get on without support, or idling, and thier tips on steering suck (no offense)

I’m sure somebody will say use the search for tips (and you’ll find loads that way), but for what it’s worth here’s my experience as a (now) fairly proficient freemounter and struggling idler…

With freemounting I found the static mount to be by far the easiest (I’m still pretty hopeless at anything else after a year of riding). The thing to get used to is the amount of pressure needed on the back pedal when mounting, which on a 20" is hardly any, or at least a lot less than you think. It makes it easier if you exaggerate the roll forward before you jump up, then the foot pressure is a bit less critical. Mounting on a slight downhill slope also makes it much easier. I tried to learn a rollback mount for ages (because the book I was reading said it was the easiest) before deciding to try a static mount after finding this forum, and I managed that in only about half an hour.

Idling is a bit elusive for me at the moment. I’m trying the “ride half pedal backwards then forwards again” method to try to get used to it, and I can do that fairly consistently, but if I try more than one repetition I nearly always lose my balance and either fall off or have to ride away. I’ve been to a couple of indoor uni meets in the last few months and I found riding on the nice smooth gym floor with no wind is a huge help. I practised my idling during the last meeting and by the end I felt like I was getting somewhere, but at home on the uneven tarmac it feels just as hard as ever :(. I think it’s just a thing that has to be practised for ages and it will eventually come together, just like normal riding. One tip that has helped me is to reduce the pedal movement in idling - I was trying to do about half a wheel revolution each way, but much smaller movements (less than a third of a rev) work better.

Good luck - and I bet you nail idling before I do… I seem to be slow picking things like that up (took me four months to be able to ride forwards) and I don’t practise nearly as much as I should - not much time to ride and I spend most of that time riding about on the trails :roll_eyes:

Oh, one more thing… have a look at some of the tips and videos on websites like unicycle.2ya and unicyclist.org - I found these really useful. EDIT: Or perhaps not - just seen your reply to Andrew’s post.

Rob

I used the search function and found this:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37145&highlight=freemounting

Just type in “freemount” and you’ll get pages of information:)

Freemounting is a try and fail, try and fail sort of thing. You can do it by chocking the back of the wheel with a piece of wood and practice putting less and less weight on the back pedal as you mount. I think I used this technique when learning to freemount.

Steering comes with riding practice. Learning to ride straight at a comfortable speed and making small corrections to steer comes first. Then, trying to lean to steer. Then trying to ride slow and twisting to steer.

For idling, keep your weight on the seat. Idling requires lots of corrections and your tendecy will be to stand on the pedals. Don’t do it. Put your weight on the seat. It helps some people to learn to super-idle first. That is one full revoltion of the wheel backwards and one full revolution forward. Super-idling is much more stable and easy to do.

If you go to unicycle2ya.com then to “basic riding” there are vids on static mounting, roll back mounts and idling.

Also, on Leo Vandewoestijne’s site: http://unicyclist.org/cont/levels.cfm
there are vids on practically every skill level by level. They are available in four different formats too.

And unicyle2ya is part put together by Andrew Carter, who kindly pointed you in the direction of his site, so maybe a “Thanks, but that doesn’t really work for me” might have sounded better than a put down?

I think what MUNIFREAK is trying to tell us is that he can’t idle, and he doesn’t consider it important.

If all you can do it ride forward, you’re pretty much not doing anything you couldn’t do on a bicycle. Idling and backward opens up a whole new world.

Tip #1: Use the subject part of your post to describe what you want tips on."

Tip #2: There’s a ton of discussion here (search) about freemounts. Search on “freemount”, “static mount,” “rollback mount.”

Tip #3: When learning to freemount, possibly the single most important rule is try not to have one foot stop at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Once you can get past this, you’re at least 90% of the way there.

Tip #4: For steering, just set yourself some goals and go at it. At first you’ll have to flail your arms alot, but in time you will learn to twist at the hips and lean into the turns. Eventually you should be able to go wherever you want with your hands stuck in your back pockets.

Tip #5: For steering “better,” you have to give us a frame of reference. If possible, videos are always the best way to show us where you are, so we can point out what to do differently.

There’s both text and video tutorials on freemounting (getting on without support) and idling. Sorry the tips on turning were no help, but if you really did mean no offence maybe something a little more constructive than ‘their tips on steering suck’ would have been appropriate? After all the only reason they’re there is to help others out.

Andrew

Cheers s7ev0.

Klown,
I don’t think I stressed enough in my previous post that I really would like to know how the tips on steering could be improved. When I was writing them (in the “Learning to Unicycle” document) I actually felt they could have been more helpful but couldn’t figure out how to improve them.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sorry if i offended you, but i tried for like 2 housr straight and i didn’t get anywere…sorry :frowning:
those videos realy helped though. I can kind of Idle but not very well. :slight_smile:

along with unicycle.2ya.com, check out http://www.marsht.tripod.com
it’s a really useful site for beginners, I’m pretty sure they have tips on idling… even if they don’t, there are a lot of informative stuffs for beginners.

Argh…it didn’t work…“The page you are looking for could not be found” did you check the URL?

Yeah, no worries. Idling is meant to take a while though. Only ridiculously fast learners learn to idle fast. :slight_smile:

Andrew

Glad yoo no get mad :smiley: thx for understanding

There are alot of basic riding skills that are not so basic that’s what makes this such a great sport is the challenge behind it. Just remeber Klown practice makes perfect so practicing for 2 hrs may not get you very far in being a master at idling, I am just becoming someone who can idle non-stop and I have been riding for 3 years.

So Just dont get angry get out there and do it again and again again until you get it, eventually it will come:D

That’s the site I was going to post earlier, James (oops, sorry, Michael ) as I was sure I had a vid of idling from it. I visited to check though, and couldn’t find the vid.

Anyway, hopefully this link should work Unicycling Tutorials, Tips and Tricks
and as James (d’oh! Michael ) said, there is lots of other good stuff on it.

Do Tammy or Tanya post on the forum? Perhaps they are both really James Potter…:stuck_out_tongue: