Any older people (especially women) here?

Three inches in the tube is better than two. As long as you can bottom out the seat post.

cut it off.

Oh wow, thank you! I did not know this. This is great news, I think lol. So now if I get into muni or want to do distance, I can go up in size. Or maybe not good news as that means more unis later lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

hey ladies, im a lady.:D…i got my blue 20in nimbus yesterday. I wasnt crazy about the peddals so my husband picked me up some less intense ones at the bike shop today. :slight_smile: i practiced off and on all day yesterday, I had to work so I squeezed in the practice when I could.

Unicycling is sooo fun…I think we’re going to get along great! lol

You’re never too old (or too female) to muni! I try and ride few times a week with my friend Judy. She’s 50, and I will be 45 on Monday. I always wear plenty of pads and -always- wristguards. I don’t usually need them, but every once in a while I take a dive where I’m really glad I have them on. I’ve never hurt myself significantly, even with some pretty impressive crashes. My whole family is joining me on the trails now (7 and 9 year old daughters and 11 year old son, 49 year olds husband). We’re all having a ball learning together.

– Agnes

Riding uni is fun and you get lots of attention especially if your a girl

Good to hear from Youngsters like you! You go girl! :smiley:

A bandsaw in the basement is a really good thing for short unicyclists.

Let’s hear it for older women here! :slight_smile:

I’m older. (Than I was a minute ago.)
And I am a woman.

It would absolutely be the most wonderful thing if a woman unicyclist close to my age lived nearby and we did the same type of unicycling.

Hey, I am 55 (almost 56), and started learning to ride about 3 weeks ago. I now have 14 hours and can ride 100 yards and free mount on about every 3rd or 4th try. (Woohoo, I am so proud of myself!) i am tall (a giraffe?), and have a 20"uni because I was advised it was easier to learn on a smaller wheel. I now find that after 100 yards of pedaling it is like my legs are spinning in low gear and I am breathless and exhausted. I need a bigger wheel for sure.

Oh yes, and I live in Canada and need it to stop snowing… right now. :roll_eyes:

Susan

Hi Mbalmer…I’m not sure how I missed this response from you, but thought I would say hi, and too bad you are not back in SLC. where does your family live? I have several teacher friends here, and yes salaries are lower, but so is our cost of living. We used to visit the bay area often, for a couple of weeks, each summer, of windsurfing. Mostly 3rd Ave, area in the bay. Now we just head for the Columbia River (Hood River area) for our WS.

the mtn biking is spectacular here, and I’m sure you know that the snow is first class too for snowboarding. I’ve gotten out a few times snowkiting, which I do on skiis, but alot do with a snowboard. It’s alot of fun, but will give you a good scare, every once in a while. but I’m at least getting the hang of it.

I’m haveing a great time with the uni, it’s quite a challange. If you ever make it back to SLC, look me up, and come by and ride a wheel. take care.

And so it begins again! Congratulations and remember there is no turning back… muhahahah :smiley:

YOU GO GURL! Sounds like you are progressing rapidly. It took me a lot longer to freemount than you. I live in Utah and have the same snow issue as you. but I try to get out as often as I can…as long as the drive way is dry. On some of the other days, I actually just go in my basement, and practice idleing, and freemounts, which helped me alot, instead of not riding at all.

I’m tall too 5’11" and got a 24 uni, and am pretty happy with it. It does feel like you spin alot, to go…well, not very fast. I guess that will be the case with anyone that has ridden a geared bike. Uni riding has been very good for my leg strangth, which is helpful for everything. I think the balance practice, is good for anyone. the important part is…I’m having a good time.

KEEP SPINNING THE WHEEL.

I have a slightly odd way of freemounting because I did not know what I was supposed to do when I started. It seems to be a combination of the two methods I have now seen described. I put my right foot on the right pedal in the 10 o’clock position (almost in line with the seat post). I then combine a forward hop up with about a quarter turn rollback, so my left foot lands on the left pedal in the 10 o’clock position, and I push off with it. I initially had a lot of difficulty if my left foot did not land perfectly on the pedal, but my freemounts have just gotten a lot better because I have discovered that the best point to adjust the position of my foot on the pedal is right at the top of the cycle (twelve o’clock).

Susan

Old? Women?

My boyfriend has just started unicycleadventures.com, he is 47 years old, totally addicted to riding and would love to host an all women’s tour. He thinks it would be great for the sport and so do I. He got me started with a unicycle that he left me while he went to Bolivia to ride the world’s most dangerous highway. I emailed him three days later to notify him that I would be “riding circles around him” when he got home! LOL! I’m nuts about this sports and we have been riding all around Guatemala finding trails, on and off road, and if there is enough interest it would be great to do an all womens tour.

me…

I’m older and a woman :smiley:
I just started in April so I can’t or don’t feel experienced enough to give you advice but I had purchased a Sun 20" just to make sure I could ride. I used to ride when I was young. It wasn’t a problem so I upgraded to a used Kris Holm unicycle. Anyway you sound like your on the right track from one novice to another. Nice to meet you and welcome to the world of uni’s :D, to bad you don’t live closer :frowning: