Any older people (especially women) here?

Oh BUMMER! I am always looking for a female friend to do sports with. I only luck out at the skatepark with girls on skateboards, rarely, but usually they arent out of high school yet. I’m the oldest female skater here! But its east coast. We just got a bunch of snow too but hopefully it will be gone by weekend. :smiley:

that’s a great uni to start, however if you think you will want to take it offroad, the nimbus 24 inch Muni would be a better option. it will cost you 45 dollars more, but you will get a stronger rim, and stronger cranks. you can still put a street tire on this uni, and it won’t require as many upgrades as you progress

+1
Also the rim is wider, riducing fold-over on large side hops, and creates a flatter profile increasing stability in loose dirt or mud, and comes w/ Magura brake mounts. + the Nimbus II only holds up to a 2.6" tire.

If you are seriously considering doing Muni I’d go this route.

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I went with that one. Now I just have to wait!

“Kills it”? Lol, is that good or bad?
When I first read it I thought the context might have been something like, “whenever there’s a good vibe going and he walks into the room, he kills it”. :stuck_out_tongue:
In this case I hope it was meant as a good thing. :o:D:)

Pardon me if you’re just being silly , and you already understand this. But killing it is a good thing. It’s like you’re dominating it, if that makes sense.

No generally here in NY and in the music scene and such , kills it refers to doing something really well.
I like your riding and dedication a lot, I could take or leave the narrations though :roll_eyes:

haha, no, I just was curious about the context, but I get what you’re saying so thanks!:slight_smile:

Thanks. Yeah any “narration” I do is mostly for little fun bits, like the IHOP parody video. I do like to include little clips of candid hiker/biker comments now & then as well. Just seems to add a little more variety. :slight_smile:

In a lot of my really old videos from way back, like more than 2 years, I used to have way too much commentary in the videos where there were at least two of us riding. We’d say stuff like, “Nice!” way too much and stuff like that.

I even made one video where we purposely said that phrase throughout the entire video, just to be annoying, lol! Since those days, I almost always let the riding do the talking, and maybe just have some trail sounds leak in a bit if there’s a big drop. I like hearing the impact while music is playing! :smiley:

woohoo embalmer! Sounds like you are a natural. I am a 53 year old woman, only five feet tall (and shrinking). I live on a dirt road with rocks and hills and I love my nimbus 24" muni with the big fat tire. I have a KH freeride seat and love that too, but the gel seat that comes with the nimbus is pretty comfortable too. I have 20" and 26" unicycles as well but I seem to always ride the nimbus.

I’m seeing red hats in the hills on munis…

ok, jk

How do you ride a 24" and 26" being 5 feet tall? I’m 5’1" and my inseam is 28" but thats the lowest the seat would go. I dont see anyone riding with the leg fully extended… Just wondering as I might get into muni later.

There are a few shorter people who ride 36ers. One very prominent 36" uni rider who is not very tall is Ken Loi (gizmoduck)

That’s the lowest the seat would go? What’s that’s?

Regardless, what is it that limits your seat from getting lower? If it’s NOT the seat hitting the seat tube (which is the upper frame tube), cut off some length of your seat post (which is the thinner tube that goes into the seat tube).
You can just cut it with a hack saw, but be sure to file the outer edge of the cut so that it doesn’t get stuck.
Also, don’t cut more than you need to, you need at least two inches of insertion to have a rigid connection.

If however the seat does hit the frame and it’s still highish for you, it looks like you have a so-called longneck frame. Good for freestyle but not for short people.

Well for the Nimbus 24", this is what it says for the seatpost,
Minimum Inseam Length Required For:

200 post - 28 inches
300 post - 31 inches
400 post - 35 inches

club is
Minimum Inseam Length Required For:

200 post - 28 inches
300 post - 31 inches
400 post - 35 inches

And KH seems to go 1" longer. I didnt see stats.

So being that my inseam is fully extended 28", that means I can only ride with my leg fully extended. I dont see anyone riding without a touch of knee bend. But does this mean I can still cut the 200 post even shorter? So I can get it a 26" height? I am a newbie so I dont know this info! I might in a year from now get more into muni or use it a lot for transportation. Both would be better with a bigger wheel if its possible.

Hey MBalmer

I’m 50 and female, and started learning last October 08. I’m having a really good time learning, and love the fact that I can go out my back door, and have a good time in the driveway, or down the sidewalk in the neighborhood.
Most of the other sports I do, like windsurfing, snowkiting, mtn biking all take a good bit of traveling, so this has been nice to have something fun to do at home.

It was good to see your post, since I was starting to notice that there was a lack of female, participation on this forum. Which is no different from any of the other forums that I belong to. Not too many females post anything on the windsurfing sites, I’m one of the few who ever does. I guess it just our nature to learn quietly in background.

It sounds like you are learning fast. It took me a couple of weeks to take off away from the fence and ride in a straight line. I’m fairly tall at 5’11" and got a torker 24, since my inseam is 34. I still had to cut the seatpost a bit to be comfy. I have not gotten to try any other size of uni yet, but would like to.

I’m working on the turning. I’m getting better, but the sharp turns on a sidewalk corner, or a sharp U turn usually cause UPD. I keep practicing in my driveway with a couple of big trash cans and ride figure 8’s as many times as I can. I also really want to learn to idle. I’m improving, but it’s comeing slow.

Post what you are working on learning, and what you are doing to learn it. Maybe it will give me a idea, on something to work on. Thanks for posting.

Hi,

Right now I’m just waiting to get the unicycle. Patience is supposed to be a virtue. I rode my daughter’s friends but don’t have my own yet. I would like to be able to comfortably get around, frontward and backwards, and also do dirt trails. I think all the jumping looks fun, but looks potentially painful. I think the snowkiting looks awesome. Is that on skis or a snowboard? I used to have a mountain board but it’s illegal in the entire Bay Area so I sold it. I also mountain bike, road bike, scooter, snowboard/blade, and ride a motorcycle.

I see that you are in SLC. I was born there. I still have some family in the area. I love Utah. I wish teachers made money there, but they are the worst paid state or I would move there in a heartbeat.

Well, I am 56 and a male. I just started and you are never too old. Great that you can go so far. keep it up.

Mmmmmmmmmmm…older women…mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I’m 5’ 2" and I ride 29er and 36" unicycles. I’m soooo good with the hack saw :slight_smile:

You can certainly cut any post shorter. As someone mentioned earlier,keep it as long as possible but you could go to a post length as short as 2". As A 200 mm post is aprox 8" long this means that you could take as much as 6" or 150mm off if you needed to.

This will open up quite a few options for you related to larger wheel sizes.

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile: