Amazing Unicycle Race in Canada! June 2008

Hour record is held by Patrick Schmid at 27.18km on a Coker with 114mm cranks.

It is certainly possible to cruise at 25km for more than an hour, especially if you have a group. I think the lead bunch at the Unicon marathon all averaged over 25km/hr over uneven terrain.

I just found this info:
TOP SPEED:
Christian Hoverath 48km/hr in a Downhill sprint (Coker and 125mm cranks)
ABOUT 280 rpm!! Amazing.
HOUR RECORD:
On Wednesday 26th of July, 2006 Patrick Schmid rode 27.18km in hour in the Hard Stadium in Langenthal.
ABOUT 160 rpm average for a full hour.

Based on this I would guess the race will be won at a speed of about 22 kph (130 rpm on a coker). What do you think?

The hour record is I believe just under 17 miles, or 27 km. On a standard 36" wheel with 114mm cranks.

Most good coker riders can do 10mph/16kmh average including stops for an indefinite period of time*, which means you’ll be doing about 12mph/20kmh whilst riding. A few faster riders seem to have no problem cruising at 15mph or more. They are mentalists though.

In terms of absolute maximum speed, once you’ve got a coker and put 110 cranks on it, the main limitation is fear. I don’t like anything above about 18mph personally, but I know some have managed 25mph/40kmh on downhills. On the flat, I believe some riders hit 20mph, but most stop at about 18 or so.

As for spinning short cranks, once you get used to it, they’re super easy to spin for a long time (like 10 to 12 hour rides). It just takes practice to get used to them.

Joe

• 100 miles (162km) in 10 hours is a nice round benchmark to aim for

That is interesting. I was wondering how fast the Marathon racers were going. If they averaged 25kph in a Marathon they won’t be any slower in a relay race I would guess.

I think it could be won with an average speed of 24-25km/hr with the right teams. Various combinations spring to mind…I think the UK and Japan will be able to field some pretty strong teams. Likewise if people like Patrick and Dustin got together…

I’ll do MUT so you can do Mayhem!

Roger, I will GLADLY take your place on the MUT ride so you can go in your Mountain Mayhem race :slight_smile:

Ken, no no…no putting together an international dream team. Read the original post. The race won’t be interesting to the sponsors and spectators unless it is actually a race with many teams shooting to win. I have this dream that nearly every team could be shooting for at least a top-5 finish. I know this favors big countries - we might have to go by regions smaller than a country, for instance states in the US. You’re safe to take anyone from NZ though! Just get Rowan and Tony and that’s a legal dream team right there!

—Nathan

So it has to be restricted to national and regional teams then :stuck_out_tongue: You could say it was a European Team…

That does disadvantage smaller countries. Nothing wrong with that…that’s how it works at the Olympics. As long as we don’t have to form an Australasian team…:smiley:

OK to make it fairer on you ken… should we say do it by UK countries. Say England, Scotland and wales.

That still gives me Dez, Sam and me for Wales. Two riders faster than me! I would be happy with that. Population of 2 million and a lot smaller than Nz. :slight_smile:

Ok but may not work… but, would be fun.

Roger

Here is a thought…

What will the rules be on slip streaming? I guess it may not be like UNICON Marathon where the top group slowed down when Patrick and Yuta fell to wait for them to catch up.

Scenario. riders from team ride in pairs with the score rides behind a rider to slip stream them for 5k at 30kph (yes can do, see thread about Manchester to Blackpool) then drops and front rider takes place with fresh pace rider for 5k then swap…etc. will this be allowed?

Roger

How about a proper peleton?

Have all 60 riders ride together for some stages and form a real peleton like Le Tour. Not much margin for error if someone falls in the middle :astonished: but it would be awesome to see!

Cool idea Paul! wow that would be great! :smiley:

Yeah, I like that idea too…that would be a fantastic sight.

How would the times be recorded then? Perhaps fastest 2 of 3 finishers in the team counts towards team times?

Roger, if I read you correctly, you’d have two teammates riding at the same time, one “resting” behind (ha, resting at 30kph). This would be allowed but the extra advantage you’d get slip-streaming (drafting in the US) would be negated by having two of your teammates racing at a time wouldn’t it? I suppose this type of strategy would be even more interesting in strong headwinds.

In this race, each day, each team has to get the baton (GPS tracking device) from the start to the finish in the fastest possible time with any number of hand-offs allowed. If you choose to all ride the whole distance in a tight 2 or 3-person formation, more power to you! (Although I reserve the right to change this later - well in advance of the race though!)

We are exploring various options to make some special sections that are more interesting. The will be at least one time when all 3 riders are riding together, although they might not all be going the same route. More details over the next months as we get it sorted out. Lots of logistics are involved with “special” sections.

—Nathan

PS Is this going to be awesome or what?!

Yes, it is going to kick ass! I hope to be doing this but probably not too much of a race. I mean, I probably would be doing it on a 29er, which is a bit of a disadvantage, and there are are many riders who are much faster than I am…

But 800km in 5 days? Thats a fair tour!

I think it’s fairly unlikely that a unicycle peleton would stay together very well; the benefits of drafting are fairly small compared to what they are in bike racing, and the aptitude differential is larger. At most you might get clumps of three or four riders of similar strength.

Maybe not as advantageous as a bicycle peleton, but I think there is a noticeable difference on a unicycle. For several reasons:

• Unicyclists tend to have a slightly more upright position than bicyclists. If you sit up straight you’re about as aerodynamic as a flying brick wall
  • If there is a headwind effect- can make your effective speed well over 30km/hr with only a slight breeze
  • Psychological- it’s easier to pace yourself in a group.

I’ve drafted bikers and unicyclists and I’m sure I’ve gone faster when I have.

This is all very exciting. I just wanted to pop back in to mention I intend to participate as well, and am looking for teammates! I suppose we might have to be careful to not have multiple dream teams from Northern CA? :slight_smile:

Uh, not including me of course, unless I get trained up and prove myself worthy over the long haul…

It’s definitely possible to go faster when drafting; I just don’t think the difference is enough to keep together a typical pack of unicyclists the way it keeps together a typical pack of bike racers. In the Tour de France, the only way to drop the peleton if it really wants to stay with you is to be the strongest one, and do it on a climb. Partly that’s because the difference in riding strength between TdF-level bike racers is much less than the difference in riding strength between the 60 people who will show up for the Lobster event, and partly it’s because typical TdF peleton speeds are 45-50kph on the flat, and wind resistance is a much larger component of overall power consumption at that speed.

Also, I don’t think it’s possible to follow a wheel as closely on a uni as one can on a bike; it’s realistic to be only a couple centimeters behind someone’s wheel on a bike at racing speeds; on a Coker at racing speeds, that’s a recipe for broken limbs.

I think that it will end up being a bunch of clumps of riders. People at the front who are really gunning it all the way back to people who are riding more casually.