Amazing Unicycle Race in Canada! June 2008

Why not have one day be trail riding? This would be a better showcase, and even more fun!
-Roland

The slip-streaming (drafting) on big wheel unicycles definately works. I think the Marathon this year proved that with the sustained speeds that the front group acheived and maintained. The wind resistance on bikes is a lot lower than it is on the big wheel unicycles so the point where it becomes an important factor is lower. As Nathan pointed out it will be during windy conditions that there will be the big advantage.

Roger

Crikey!

This sounds more than a little like the most incredible unicycle experience ever!

Over a year to train like a tank engine… 'Tis more than possible eh.

Is the sponsorship for the race coming from unicycling organisations or other places too/instead?

Wherever you can get it I suppose.

Do people have to all go the same route? Or might there be some splitting and some riders going different paths than others? I think there should be a rule that you must at least stay on the road.

[QUOTE=rogeratunicycledotcom]
Here is a thought…
Scenario. riders from team ride in pairs with the score rides behind a rider to slip stream them for 5k at 30kph (yes can do, see thread about Manchester to Blackpool) then drops and front rider takes place with fresh pace rider for 5k then swap…etc. will this be allowed?
/QUOTE]

Roger, this sounds suspiciously like a plan to make a new unnofficial (not officially allowed open route or drafting I think) 100 mile record at 30kph - down to under 6 hours?

Who’s saying all riders shouldn’t do 160km five days running? :wink:

Sam (should probably go out for a 200km training ride before getting told off for being unrealistic :slight_smile: )

The route would be set and all the riders would have to that same path. As everybody will have a GPS that is tied to the website it will be obvious if someone takes a shortcut.

For the 20 team limit, I’m also not worried about that as there is usually a 50% drop rate from tours. Also the 70km pre-reg ride for two consecutive days will also help people decide on the event. Right now there 58 people have expressed an interest on the RTL interest form. When that number hits 120 that is when we might have to re-think the 20 team limit.

One possible strategy for doing the whole event is to switch off riders a lot. That way someone is always fresh. For example, lets say a team averages 20ph. If they decide to switch every 20km, then the first rider will ride for an hour and then get two hours off while his to two other team members ride. Going this speed would mean they would finish in 10 hours, not too bad considering it is 200km. When looking at this way, it isn’t so bad.

-Andy

ZzagG And I are very motivate for a french team !

It’s soo far for me, but whatever, I will train on my 36" uni…
I’ll be ready for 2008.

Thanks for all the infos…

I am just so pumped about this event. I have been marathon training for the last few years and frankly, the running deal is getting quite borring. I am training to qualify for Boston this spring, but once that is finished, I am all over this. It will interesting to be introduced, first hand, to all the muscles that I never knew I had. That’s the part of distance training that I hate the most really. Finding all those new muscles about 12 hours after your first session.

Peleton

I’m really looking forward to the race, but I’m concerned about a peleton. Riding behind another unicyclist imperils you (much more dangerous to be behind than in front), and a large group would only address to that. I’m not saying we can or should mandate anything about peletons, but I think the organizers could agree to warn riders ahead of time that its best to ride abreast (catchy rhyme!).

Now remind me, how do I sign up? I’ll have to reread the original post, but count me in!

At the first 20ish kilometers in the marathon at Unicon we had an amazing peleton, Daiki, Roger, Ken, Patrick, Tony, Ryan, myself (Did I forget anyone?). For me it was the first time I rode with other 36" unicyclists so I was pretty scared and held back at first, watching out in turns, dropping back at bumps I was scared someone would fall over… No one fell, we had some nice descents without brakes :D, stretches of gravel etc, it felt very natural to ride in a peleton and I doubt we’d have such a good time had there not been any.
I don’t think you should worry so much about the dangers of riding in a peleton, when Roger, Paul and me were heading back from the marathon workshop in the dark on a steep descent I was riding pretty close behind Roger, he UPDed and we easily evaded him.

There’s a form on page 3 or 4 to sign up.

Was this the descend where Roger broke his forearm?

As this could be misread: I don’t think the accident was caused by riding to close to the man in front. Riding downhill fast in the dark without seeing the bumps in the road is more likely to cause UPDs.

How many hours of sunlight will there be in Nova Scotia? A long day offering a 200km trip might ask for 10 to 12 hours of riding. Riding in the dark is more difficult, even more so in an unknown territory.

15.5 hours. Should be okay.

Joe

It was the descent where Roger broke his arm. He was leading at the time. It was nothing to do with riding in close formation, more to do with Roger’s pedals lacking grip…

Paul

Yes Paul summed it up my fall… bad choice of pedals. It was my fault through and through, I should have put the correct pedals on.

The peleton is more dangerous than not riding in formation but it does not take long to get into the rhythm and once you have this then it is reasonably safe.

Roger

There should be a mailing list to send out updates (if there isn’t already). Put me on it :wink:

Jess - if you check the original post on page one, it has the link: http://fs19.formsite.com/RideTheLobs...671/index.html

We are using this form to collect a database of people who are interested. The form just takes a few seconds to fill out.

—Nathan

I got a ‘File Not Found’ at that site when I just now checked it again. I already filled out my entry, tho.

SORRY about that. I pasted a bad link. The correct on is http://fs19.formsite.com/RideTheLobster/form029675671/index.html

yet another reason that I want a coker. :roll_eyes: