ABC reality show, Master of Champions

excellent. I want to see this too, just to see how it was portrayed. Seems like it’s a big publicity thing, but it’s not likely to bring new converts, since nothing else I’ve heard about that was showed on there is likely to draw people.

I think they billed it as a Trials/Street competition (or Street/Trials). It was both. But altitude is going to win with non-unicyclists. Whoever goes highest is likely to be considered the better rider, all else being equal. Dan could have won it as well, and almost did. Notice the other two competitions on the show were like 75% vs. 25% and 66% vs. 33%. Almost makes you wonder how many people were actually voting. I believe it was supposed to be the studio audience.

The course they had did not get completely used in the bits we saw on the show. I think the competition rides the guys did were much longer than what we saw, and were edited for time. I was hoping to hear from Dan or Zack on these types of details. And whether they did Zack’s hair for him. They definitely dressed the guys.

Anyway, there appeared to be a grind box, or at least an obstacle with sloped grind rails on the sides, which we didn’t see used. The moves the cameras focused on weren’t the hardest ones, nor did they even look like it to what I think a non-riders would estimate. But hey. If we want the world to be more educated about our sport, they need to see more of it. This was a huge step in the right direction!

Yes it is a huge step, but when you think about it, unicycling was compared to a contorsionist(sp?) from the circus…And they seemed to view unicycling like an extremely odd sport that takes people that are similar to those who can shoot an arrow with there feet and a blindfold…So in a way they portraid it as a very unusual act, more than a sport…

NOOOooooo I found the show, it plays again (same episode) on thursday, in the evening, but we don’t get ABC!

So… someone watch it thursday evening. 6 pm mountain time.

Bump to remind someone to upload.

If this means anything at this late stage in the thread, I thought it was the most stupid thing for the unicycling part i’ve ever seen. Obviously these guys did not do there homework on the riders. They built a trials, ride around (no real style it was just stupid) course. No rails, no ledges, but one little beginning set with no run up. This is just stupid. I believe Dan should be the one in it (like he was) but that was no course for him. Maybe it’s for promotion, didn’t do a really good job though. Made me dislike the sport more.

-Shaun Johanneson

i had to turn my sound off when i watched it cause of the total n00b anouncer woman. It sounded like she never saw a unicycle in her life it was horrible. :astonished:

PSH! N00BS!

I WANNa see it… Don’t forget, it’s on tommorrow evening for you to tape it and post it somebody. :slight_smile:

its really not that great, i don’t have enough memory on my camera to do it or i would, but i could do 95% of the stuff they did (the only things were the 360unispin and the 360)

im not even very good either :thinking: :thinking: ohh well

its nice to know the best unicyclist out there pretty much thinks that too. i agree.

The world is full of noobs! Over 99% of the people in the world are horrible noobs!!! Life must really suck for you. Oh. You’re sixteen. So it pretty much does. Don’t worry, most people your age figure it out.

I’m pretty sure you just called Dan and/or Zack stupid (twice). How would someone else know what to build them if they didn’t give them specs and suggestions? My guess is that they were very involved in the building of the props.

Boy am I glad you “dissers” are not in charge of getting unicycling on TV. It would never happen because nothing’s good enough for you. Fortunately someone out there has a better idea of what people will think is interesting.

For a unicyclist to watch it wasn’t very impressive but since it was meant for people that haven’t seen it before I think it was good. It wasn’t technical at all but people wouldn’t even notice if it is. Nonriders probably think its hard to ride down a zig zagged foot wide ramp…I have heard from comments when I ride and people are clueless and usually don’t get past the fact that you are riding a unicycle. I have crankflipped a 3 set and people around comment to each other that I just rode down stairs.

I think it would be more entertaining to people to see more street kind of stuff with grinds and tricks like that. I think the part that they could have made alot cooler was the intro footage. If they were doing handrails and stuff then it would be alot more appealing to people.

ok im taking it off my camera now. Should be up with in the hour. What file size should i make it?

That’s it in a nutshell! Unicyclists will surly be critical and have various opinions. The main point, IMO, is that it was great for the sport, and MILLIONS of people were exposed to unicycling in that one segment, so that’s a good thing! Helps kill the clown image thing! :sunglasses:

Exactly. I read the nay sayer posts and could believe we watched the same thing. I even thought the female anouncer did an excellant job considering this was likely her first exposure. I had three people call me to watch it while it was on. All three non unicyclists. All three thought it was incredible. I thought it was a great moment in unicycling history. Twenty minutes of Prime Time Reality TV. It was a great start.

Exactly. I read the nay sayer posts and couldn’t believe we watched the same thing. I even thought the female anouncer did an excellant job considering this was likely her first exposure. I had three people call me to watch it while it was on. All three non unicyclists. All three thought it was incredible. I thought it was a great moment in unicycling history. Twenty minutes of Prime Time Reality TV. It was a great start.

Finaly some vid footage!

I just found someone’s filming of their TV of the uni segments of this show.http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=154604

It seemed to me that for each rider it was one constant run and not peaced together. I also got the impression that the producers said for the comp something like “You’ve got 30 seconds to show your stuff,” so both riders chose lines and tricks that they were 100% sure they could do for the entire time w/o a single upd in one run.

If I had seen this before or right when I discovered how cool unicycling is, (October, '06) I would have been in absolute amazement. So I think the show was very good exposure for the sport.

Yeah, I uploaded/filmed the video. See this thread about it.

Somebody likes Rush! (Not Limbaugh lol!)