A Very Merry (And Early) EB Christmas

Since when did YouTube comments start showing up in RSU?

Here it is, folks, the beginning of the end.

I just got it all set up to ride today and went for a bit of a spin. You can run the pressure so low without hitting the rim or having it fold that it’s almost as if you are riding on a cloud of air. It tractors over everything and I don’t believe its much heavier than my torker muni.

So jealous :stuck_out_tongue:
I need to get a friends to start unicycling so he can buy all the sizes and i could try them and decide the sizes that i like.
or someone could send me some cool stuff :roll_eyes:

Wow, I’m impressed

I’ve never hit my knees on my 24" frame, you can just train your self not to hit them.

I’m trying to do this.

I think in the past I have somehow hurt my knee. Or it’s from riding BMX, coasting along with the left pedal down, and right knee over the frame looking back checking for cars coming when I ride past parked cars.

When I ride, my right knee is closer to the frame than my left knee, by about 3 inches. I have been trying to train myself to keep them equal… because I still have a problem riding on sidewalks that aren’t level… making my body twist one way, which only happens on sidewalks that slope down to the left by a good amount.

If I keep my knee inline properly, this problem doesn’t affect me, but I don’t ride on sidewalks to often anymore… so it’s slow to learn.

I think as long as I don’t do much SIF I will be fine, but this is 26" frame so its a good bit higher than a 24". Its quite wide at the crown as well but it does what it needs to do so I’m pleased.

Evan
that is very generous of you no matter what the conditions were. now why are you quiting unicycling?

I’m not an SIF ridder, yet anyways. Hopfuly getting a trials uni for christmas, if not i’ll get one in april. I don’t find SIF very practical in muni.

Hes damaged his shoulder and nees time off, hopfuly not perminatly.

He just got a coker and has been riding that quite a bit so hes not entirely out of the sport.

Kudos to Evan. Enjoy that stuff Brian!.. Man am I jealous.

daaang!!

thats the nicest think i thin ki have ever encountered on the fora. that is awesome… and while we are on the subject… evan… do you have any more CF bases?

I pretty much destoryed my shoulder with a series of dislocations and subluxations. It will never heal and will never alow me to do any sport-like activites with it.

Skrob: No that was my only cf base, I gave brian everything apart from what it takes to keep my coker going.

I had muscle casing taken from my leg and used to replace the ligaments I destroyed in my shoulder last april. It was the first time that this was done at the hospital I went to.

As medicine advances there is a good chance that a new procedure will be developed that could help you. Don’t give up man.

I haven’t, I’ve just moved onto hobbies that don’t require exessive use of my shoulder.

Evan, after seeing this post I looked up your other ones to see what had happened. Missed your original injury post regarding your shoulder. What a bummer!

Keep looking. Never and ever are really permanent words to be saying at 16. There may be some limitations now while you’re still growing, but ultimately there may be some surgical steps you can take which will help this. My wife had similar issues when she was slightly less than double your age. Massively dislocated shoulder in a waterskiing accident, which stretched all the ligaments/tendons. This made it easier for her to re-injure, which she did while skiing, and ultimately created an “easy exit” path which made it easier and easier for the shoulder to pop out of socket. By the time she had it repaired, a hearty slap on the back was almost enough to knock it out. I exaggerate, but not by much.

The surgery she had was fairly invasive, but went in and actually tightened/shortened the ligaments, to the point where the shoulder was not able to dislocate. Lots of PT afterwards, but it has never dislocated in the 15 years since, whereas it popped out several times just in the year prior to the surgery. Since the surgery, she’s been able to ski again, swim, kayak, and other activities which had previously been off-limits.

At the surgical technology level of 15 years ago, they tended to “over-tighten”, and if you don’t stretch the hell out of it during your initial PT, you can find your range of motion permanently limited. I had a good friend who had the same problem, and the same repair surgery, as my wife. His happened a few years earlier than hers, and was less successful, at least partly due to his failure to PT appropriately afterwards. His shoulder has never dislocated since, but motion was lost.

The technique has to have improved in the last 15 years, and will likely improve even more by the time you stop your growth 5-8 years down the road. If you are willing to find and pay for the right surgeon…one with experience working on athletes…and to seriously crank on the PT afterward, there is no reason this needs to be a life-limiting injury.

Sorry if this comes across as presumptuous…I obviously don’t know your exact injury and all the doctors that you’ve spoken with. But I have seen some pretty bad chronic shoulder dislocation scenarios, and what can be done medically to address them. All I’m trying to say is don’t give up hope. Even if there isn’t an immediate fix due to your age and “still growing” status, you will have options down the road.

TB

I have looked into these shoulder surgerys, both the bankhart repair and athroscopic sugery, all the pages I have found that give a thourough talk about dislocations and surgery state that the younger you are, the less likley the surgery will help, but also the more likley you are to continue dislocating.

Also, due to the things I like to do, the 2-3 months in a sling after surgery would be horrible and down right unacceptable to me.

Right now I am doing a treatment called Prolotherapy, it consists of injections of “Dextrose”, pretty much sugar water. This creates a localized inflamation in the area injected and makes the body produce collogen which in turn thickens tendons and ligaments and helps relive pain as well as tighten the joint. Though this likley wont be able to make me able to return to sports activites, the course of the injections only takes about a month and does not require any kind of sling so I can continue using my arm.

Due to my shitty situation I have decided to go with short term, non-invasive treatments and ruled out any kind of sports as my hobbies. Vs. Surgery with long down-time, risks and a possibility of returning to sports.

what hobbies do you have now?

my sister had the prolotheraphy done on her knee and the ligamnet tightening on her ankle but they tighten a little to much.

wow evan. very impressed. Evan, you have made my day. I read this thread and realized was generosity truely is. Your amazing.
-Riley

I would gladly leave my arm in a sling for a few months if it would allow me to go back to doing sports.
Id rather limit myself for those few months, then limit myself for possibly my life.

Just saying.