A SERIOUS 24 inch Muni/Trials

Certainly. I’m inclined to agree with that, as it gives a wider base for adjusting side-to-side.

Yes, and this is definitely a good thing. If the bearing spacing wasn’t standardized, we wouldn’t be able to put Koxx hubs in KH frames, etc., as aluminum isn’t bendable like steel frames.

terry you have too much cash!!!

your muni is cool looking, just thaught i would let you know that some people think it is super, as if nobody ever tells then you never know what people really think…

and as for the muni, well if you want minimal q factor and light weight then go a kh with a koxx hub/crank.

Haha, a big part of the reason to being able to afford more stuff is I don’t have kids to raise and put through school and all that! (like Munivision!)

And I rather like the “Q” factor of my muni…anything less and I’d keep striking my magura brake cylinders which stick out from the frame! :roll_eyes: Plus, as someone said, it makes the wheel stronger and more stable.

ok guys, thanks for all the help.
I went riding with onelesscar (Todd) monday and we discussed my set up in detail and did some hardcore riding. After talking with Todd and riding his kh 20 incher; I have pretty much figured out my setup.

here is my set up!

kh low profile seat with all the carbon fibre components.

thompson seat post.

kh 24 inch frame

dont know about tire yet. I want it round, not square.

dont know about pedals yet. I want them to be strong, lightweight with lots of grip… duh? I guess thats obvious. I guess the difference for me is that I am willing to pay good money for them. I have enjoyed my “twisted” pedals by Odyssey brand. I want something similar with the large foot base and lots of little replacable spikes.

kh rim (stock for the 2007 kh 24 incher).

let me know if this thing can be any better! It’s not too late for any revisions. nothing has been ordered yet. the parts can be from any place, maybe not even a unicycle dealer…

let me know before I start ordering

-Joe

Square tires definitely don’t work as well as round ones.

That sounds almost exactly like my current Muni setup! I just received and intsalled my SW CF derail base, w/thompson seatpost and DG handle. Original low profile KH fusion freeride foam/seatcover. I do have the Large Marge Rim and [round profile] duro 3.0 tire. I was lucky to have found a LBS with black SS spokes instead of plain silver!

For pedals I have the Speedplay “Drilliums” which are simply AWESOME! Very thin with huge foot area. This, for me, is my ultimate MUni setup!:smiley: Sounds like you made good choices! Btw, total weight is 15.9 pounds. Oh, and I also got a pair of “sif grips” so I might stick those on soon!

One important difference, Terry, is that he’s gonna use the Koxx1 hub and crankset.

He’s also using the standard drilled rim, and no maggies.

But yeah, it’s funny how everyone’s dream 24" kinda turns into the same setup, huh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Luckily for me it’s not a “dream” anymore!

Yeah, he’s open to suggestions, but it seems like weight is more of an important issue. In addition, this will be used mainly for trials, with occasional muni. Us valley people don’t have too many hills :stuck_out_tongue:

So given those criteria, I think a standard drilled would be better…but yeah, suggestions are cool.

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but, for trials and muni, I’d opt for a stock KH20 and KH24 over spending so much on a single highly customized unicycle. The stock KH models are so nice, IMO, that you really only need to worry about customizing them once you break something.

Cash be no object

These are the lightest pedal with lot’s of pins. :sunglasses:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=PD3113
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=PD3125
I have some, and wrote a review.:slight_smile:

PD3113.jpg

PD3125.jpg

phlegm,

hello. you are relatively close to where I live. I might be up there sometime. if you want, send me a pm with your phone number. I am heavily interested in riding with people.

were you at mountain unicycle weekend 99, 00? If you were, we have already met.

joseph

muni addict. hey thanks for another pic of your beasty. I am jealous :slight_smile: and wanting mine to get here already. about half of it is in the mail, 1/8 is here at my house and the rest is not even in the mail yet. I am waiting for scott wallis’ manufacturing and bedford’s shipping. Scott said 3 weeks until shipment… ohh such a long time it will be! But I ordered a seat post shim from udc for my miyata seat.

and hey, muni addict. I am in southern california every once in ahwhile. some of my family members do business down there. I might hitch a ride sometime for a weekend if you are interested in riding.

do you know onelesscar (Todd)? we rode the other day and it was sweet.

mornish,

hey thanks for the reply. so tell me more about why you think those seats would be better for seat in front hops?

also, please tell me more about this tire.

joseph

feel the light,

yep, check out your entire write up on those pedals. good write up, but still have not yet decided which pedals to buy…

still have not yet decided about that quick release…

oh yeah guys, spokes! anybody know anything about spokes?

still open to suggestions on anything and everything.

joseph

YEah that would be great! Anytime you’re in the area, PM me and we’ll get together for some riding! YEah I Know Tod we’ve done some muni together and it was always fun!:smiley:

Yeah, DT Champs are good solid straight spokes. I’d say go for 14G, cause 13G are really tough to find, but I suppose that’s pretty much a given :slight_smile:

Although, I haven’t actually used them I think these Tioga’s would be really good. I think they are the widest platform pedal I’ve seen. For me I think those pins are too long, so I’d switch them for shorer ones.

Also I think these Atomlab Aircorp’s would be good. It seems they are just average width, but VERY thin, putting your foot closer to the spindle. I think MuniAddict has used them.

Yeah, the key phrase there is “used them.” They flew off the spindle so many times, I have since retired them. I should really send them back to Atom labs. Think I will!