A new lesson learned.

About 2 weeks ago I needed to drop off my truck for service. I threw a uni in the truck, drove the truck for service and tried to ride back to the office 1/2 mile away. .

Unfortunately every dam foss tube I have leaks and I started the trip back with low air pressure. I could hardly control the uni and fell twice.

Lesson: The wrong air pressure made the unicycle almost uncontrollable, and I was a hazard to myself, and the public.

Check your air pressure before you leave your pump! My knee still hurts!

To continue the theme:

Lesson 2:
On planned (generally longer) rides, bring a pump with you. I keep a little one in my Camelbak. It’s my favorite small pump; A flip-out foot stand, and a head that switches between Schrader and Presta. But it does take about a million pumps to pressurize a 36" tire, so try to do that before you leave the house…

Funny, I had the opposite experience at Grischa Muni challenge. On the last day, we had a few very fun sections. A rocky, almost trials like section (ride a revolution, hop onto/over/down something, repeat until you need to dismount or UPD) very fun and exhausting. A bit later, a long, steep fast downhill (you could smell your brakes every time you stopped).

Riding felt great, and a bit later I noticed one of the reasons why: I was riding pretty low pressure. I usually look at a low tire pressure as a “bandaid fix” to bad technique, but I realised how good it can feel. No bigger drops on those trails, and a very sturdy sidewall on my magic mary, so it was fine, even though I felt one or two hits to the rim on sharp stones. But all the small rocks and roots my legs didn’t feel were awesome. Makes me want to test out procore, or tubeless with foam inserts.