5-B-4-50??

So far today I have transitioned to WW, gone 10m, and transitioned back a dozen times or so. I had a three-in-a-row run once. Yesterday, John Childs told me how to do seat-on-side in a circle but didn’t show me because we were both riding Cokers. I did it a couple of times yesterday on my 20" but couldn’t transition back. I’ve got until Tuesday.

How big or small do the circles have to be for backwards, seat out front, and seat out back in a circle? How about the size of the figure eight for one-foot?

Size doesn’t matter Harper. :wink:
Best of luck to you.

Re: 5-B-4-50??

The Rulebook (10.3.2) says: “All circle figures must be greater than 1
meter and less than 8 meters in diameter. The same applies for each half of
figure eights, between 1 and 8 meters for each circle (unless stated
otherwise, as in Levels 2 and 3).”

Ok?

Good luck!!!

Carol
Minnesota

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 1:52 PM
Subject: 5-B-4-50??

> How big or small do the circles have to be for backwards, seat out
> front, and seat out back in a circle? How about the size of the figure
> eight for one-foot?
>
>
> –
> harper - Gearhead
>
> -Greg Harper
>

Re: Re: 5-B-4-50??

Thanks, Carol. I am SO in on all the figure eight and circle figures. I stagnated on WW and only was able to complete about a dozen more test quality runs and only a couple of two-in-a-row sets. The seat-on-side is not yet complete either. Can’t get back up on the seat yet.

My son, however, has now made a 1/4 mile run with eight, 1 meter radius 90 degree turns in it partially uphill and partially downhill. He also freemounts and has done a figure eight. I think he’s ready for me to donate the 24" uni.5 frame (Torker) with blue handled Reecycle airseat to him. That’s the one he prefers.

I hope your boss knows the importance of you taking the next two days off.

Give it hell!!!

As long as you can nail it once in 3 tries you’re good to go. Just don’t mess up on anything else.

RE: 5-B-4-50??

> I did it a couple of times yesterday
> on my 20" but couldn’t transition back.

Remember, it goes back to plain seat in back. If you can get out of that
one, you’re most of the way there.

To prepare for your level test, you should practice doing the level test.
Start doing run-throughs now, to find where any unexpected weak spots may
be.

Good luck,
John Foss

(level 7 and holding)

Looks dismal. I spent 6 hours today trying to finish up. I injured myself alot. The most entertaining was when I got my right foot jammed between the crank and the wheel. That felt good. I practiced long enough that I got a cramp in my right calf. Took some skin off of one palm. Banged my heel spur a couple of times. Twisted my left knee. What I found were LOTS of weak spots so I started looking (groping) for strong spots.

I found I couldn’t ride backwards in a circle. Hey, how hard can it be if you can ride backwards forever? For me it was VERY hard. I finally got it by looking ahead and sweeping my view. I can make an OK circle that’s within 8 meters and keep the wheel rolling.

I couldn’t idle one-foot left-footed anymore. I had to bring that back up after about 5 tries. Weight on the seat, Greg.

The WW is still less than 50%. I’m best if I go out cold and rested. Then I can usually do the whole thing twice in a row.

I have done seat-on-side in a circle exactly once. To do it I had to lower the seat, do seat-out-back in a circle, move it to the side, do the circle, move it back and do another circle seat-out-back and then get back on the seat. Three circles to complete one skill? Tiring and not too efficient.

Everything else was OK, including the mounts. But it was tiring and frustrating and not enough in the end. I may be too banged up to try tomorrow at which time I would have to complete all the skills with some consistency, call Alan or Megan, set up a time, drive to North Bend and then pass the test.

But I have done everything required for level five at least once. It will just be 5-slightly-after-50. So tonight I will eat sushi sans Marmite and root beer.

Will you be a true sport and spot me 2 months of time from the day of your level 5 completion?

Well hey, there you have it. That would be good enough for me to claim success. But I’m pathetic and haven’t even offically passed level 1.

On the good side, this little delay will give you time to work on the kickup mount.

john “the almost level 5 rider who can’t yet wheel walk or ride backwards in a circle but I can do a kickup mount (sometimes)” childs

RE: 5-B-4-50??

> Looks dismal. I spent 6 hours today trying to finish up.
> I injured myself alot.

As many of us have learned, there is a limit to how much you can learn in a
day. After that, you’re just kind of grinding yourself up.

The most entertaining was when I got my right foot jammed
> between the crank and the wheel. That felt good.

??? Obviously only entertaining if you have an audience…

> I found I couldn’t ride backwards in a circle. Hey, how hard can it be
> if you can ride backwards forever? For me it was VERY hard.

Don’t feel bad about this one. You’d be amazed, after going to something
like UNICON, how few people can ride backwards in a smooth circle. Once upon
a time we had a Compulsory artistic event, which you had to do along with
either Freestyle or Standard Skill for 50% of your overall score. Top riders
went out there, and when they came to the backwards circle it was pretty
ugly. You could easily tell who had practiced it and who just assumed they
could do it.

> It will just be 5-slightly-after-50. So tonight I will eat
> sushi sans Marmite and root beer.

And that’s good enough. You have done well. Today, I will eat sushi (sans
Marmite and root beer) in your honor. Lucky for me I brought the leftovers
to work!

John Foss
the Uni-Cycone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“Next time, I don’t want to camp the old fashioned way. I want the new and
improved way… WITH NO BEARS!!!” – 10 year old nephew Austin Miller, on
our recent camping experience (in a tent, with a bear trashing the campsite
outside)

Yes. I will do ANYTHING required to keep you OUT OF THE SADDLE until your neck is COMPLETELY healed. Hope you’re doing OK.

I’ve already had Marmite and Vegemite.

Thank you Harper. I should be on the unicycle officially in two weeks. At least that’s my expected date for completion of the “fireball.” It should have been done with the powdercoating stage by now, but a mishap followed by another mishap in the unicycle.com shipping department has left me without bearing holders. Pointless to get everything powdercoated and not the bearing holders. The lack of having powdercoated components has also delayed my wheel building… I’d actually like to start riding daily, but it looks like it will be a bit longer than expected.

So when do we start placing bets on weather or not the old guy made it?

Hmm perhaps we sould consult vegas for making the odds.

It seems appropriate that this should read: 5-B-4-50.5

And…?

5-B-4-50.5 is what Barb Kowalski recommended, too. I thought it was much better than 5-B-4-51. But 5-B-4-50.4 sounds pretty good rolling off the tongue.

OK, Greg. 5-B-4-50.4 means that you have until midnight January 20, 2003…or until January 21 the moment before the time of day you were born. Would you like us to spot you that amount of time?

I thought about setting a goal for myself but I laid down until the thought went away, then I felt better.

Bruce

Greg Harper: .5-2-100

Happy birthday! This evening, I plan to enjoy a root beer in your honor.

Carol
Minnesota

P. S. Kelsey says, “You are soooooooooo cool!”

May I propose a root beer toast at 11:59PM eastern time in honor of Greg’s birthday.