40 In unicycle

warren county north jersey

as for how they compare it is a little different but not too noticeably i only have like a 1/4 mile ona 36

if you ever take a trip to lbi let me know!!!

i am planning it when i can

check out this guy:

that’s a 72 inch wheel! And notice the blocks under his feet to make it possible to ride.

David Stone also thinks toe clips are a bad idea.:stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see why a high pressure tire on a unicycle is any more uncomfortable than on a road bike. Is there a physics related reason, or is it just that we unicyclists so used to cushy tires that we’re spoiled?

I did an MS 150 on a 110 psi 700c tire, and while I did have saddle soreness, I don’t think it was any worse what I’ve experienced on my coker. I used/use the old unicycle.com denim folded-over dog-bone air-cushion seat.

Has anyone ever tried that 43" uni off of UDC?

A solid tire is not a high pressure tire, it’s an approaching infinity pressure tire. It’s not pneumatic. Kind of like riding on a wood wheel.

exactly but in riding the 40 100 miles yesterday i can tell you avoid potholes if at all possible i have put over 200 miles on the unicycle in 4 days since i put the speedometer on it and have topped 25 mph
i will say for the price i paid i have an excellent unicycle and will post pictures as soon as i fix my other computer

Yeah that was an amazing deal you got there, congratulations!

At the time that Semcycle still offered their 43" wheels they used a non-pneumatic tyre that nevertheless wasn’t really solid. It was very dense closed-cell foam rubber and they claimed it was equivalent to a pneumatic tyre at about 6 bar. I don’t know what type of rubber Tommy Miller used for his big wheels. But even (most types of) really solid rubber are more deformable than (most types of) wood.

BTW, contrary to what many people think, solid rubber as a material is hardly compressible (meaning the volume does hardly change with pressure) but that is beside the point.

What a Wheel

I did not see an air valve on that tire/wheel so it probably is not pnuematic.
It is pretty cool though for the price if you are a distance rider.

Unicorn

Lack of mass? It’s a Schwinn tubular rim (steel) and relatively solid wheelchair rubber. In other words, no lack of mass. What makes it feel really squirrelly compared to a Coker is the lack of ground friction. Whereas a Coker prefers to go straight, hard-tire big wheels love to swoop, spin and pirouette. This is great for doing shows, but not so great when you want to go straight.

I have a 45" TUF big wheel, which is constructed exactly the same as the one pictured. I raced it in the 10k at Unicon 11 in Washington, but felt slow against the smaller Cokers. For rides of any distance, I’ll take the Coker any day. Or anything else with an air tire that can go a decent speed.

The wheelchair rubber Tom Miller used is (was?) fairly standard stuff, what you see on a typical rental or otherwise non-fancy wheelchair. You cut it to lenth and mount it on the wheel via a complex process involving tightening a wire which runs through the center of the rubber. So it’s actually hollow, with like a 1/4" hole up the middle where the wire goes. It is not like riding a road tire with 110 pounds of pressure in it. Maybe 300?

With a high pressure pneumatic tire you may feel every detail in the road. With a wheelchair rubber tire, you own all those details. Hitting big bumps you aren’t expecting can make flat spots in your rim. I had my 45" wheel replaced in 1994 due to bashing up of the original rim. The new one gets a lot less use because now I have Cokers.

congratulations on your purchase, you really are a crazy unicycler in NJ! 100 miles! What’s your unicycle’s serial number? Tom Miller numbered all of his big wheels and put the completion date on them as well. I used to own #20, and #30 is my 45". Yours looks newer, excepting the seat, which I would guess was put on someone in order to make the sale. If the original Schwinn seat post is not there, you can basically use any seat post you want (diameter doesn’t really matter). Then drill holes for the bolt. Or stick with pre-holed posts, which will fit KH or other brands of seat.

I have ridden the Semcycle 43". The tire material on that is definitely softer than the wheelchair rubber, making for a more forgiving but still hard ride. I imagine it has hollows in it to allow for some compression.