29er tube in Nightrider at high pressure?

Is anyone running a 29er tube in the new night rider tire at 65 psi? The first time I did that I had spectacular blowout. I’ve had this second tube on for a couple of weeks and every other time I ride I pump it up a little bit more. I’m back up to 60+ psi and it seems to be holding for now. I love the extra pressure…it makes the tire some much snappier and quieter. I really can’t fathom going back to the weighty Coker tube. Anyone else had experience with a 29er tube at higher pressures in a 36 inch wheel?

I just had a blowout with same setup and am wondering what input others might have. I too am using 29" tube with Nightrider at 60-65 lb.and it’s been ok for several months, then kabooooom.
If I’m not mistaken, it seems to be a matter of the bead coming off the rim rather than the tube failing. Am I right?

We have gone through this before somewhere.

The blowout is a seating issue with the tire. Little chance that the tube is the problem. Bigger tires are more problematic especially when they are new or have been folded.

When installing the tire check carefully that the tire bead is seated well in the rim. Pump it up slowly and keep checking the tire all the way around as you go. You may want to ride it briefly at pressure intervals just to make sure it is mounted evenly. The higher the pressure and the bigger the tire the more careful you should be.

Just seems to me that a 29er tube, which is 7" smaller diameter than the nightrider tire/rim, would be overly stressed, especially when pumped to 65psi! Sounds like 29er tube blew up as it literally got “stretched to thin” at high psi!

As for saving a bit of extra weight with a smaller, lighter tube, I’d much rather have a little bit more weight and use the proper size (36er) tube, which is made to inflate the matching [nightrider] tire up to 65 psi. The risk of tube failure using the proper size tube is far less than using one that is much smaller, and expecting it to perform as well, under extreme added pressure! :smiley:

I’m with Terry on this one. I haven’t tried a 29er tube yet, but to me it’s not worth the risk of having a blow-out. Especially if it happened at a critical moment, like going down a flight of stairs or maneuvering in heavy traffic. I’m sure there are some nice benefits of having less weight in the wheel, but I’ll have to pass on it. Good luck to all of you that are experimenting with it though.

I still like going clipless on occasion, with my 36er and my muni, and I know many would call that really crazy. So, to each his own I guess…

I’ve had a schwalbe 29-er tube in my nightrider tire now for over 6 months at 62psi with absolutely no problem. Believe me… The weight savings is noticeable and I wouldn’t think twice about it. Brycer1969 helped me install it, baby powder on the inside of the tire, soapy water on the bead to make sure it seats right and a nice, slow install over beers :slight_smile:

If I recall correctly, it saves you 2-3 lbs off rotational weight.

I don’t think you recall correctly, the tube is 480g or about a pound.

I think most report about half a pound savings from rotational weight, which is still quite a lot.

I stick with the coker tube for reliability, however I just recently had a flat for the first time! A dreaded goathead thorn punctured the nightrider tire and tube.

+1 for nuking the heavy 36’er tube and replacing with either 29’er tube or tubeless. Make the change to either and I reckon it’s hard to go back, definitely a immediate noticeable improvement - extra zip!

Had no problems running 29’er tube in a 36’er over ~10 months (at 40-45lb) then decided to try out tubeless, no problems with that either in the last ~10 months (granted 36’er has had less use lately)

Fwiw, one thing to check with the 29’er tube is that it (over)inflates evenly before fitting. I wouldn’t use the tube if it over inflates unevenly i.e. unevenly stressed. (the tube should only narrow around the valve stem, the rest should be an even ‘sausage’). Should do this anyway to pre stretch the tube, and it makes fitting it a snap.

A simpler solution for everyone would be a lighter 36" tube in the first place.

if only someone made a 32.5" tube O:-)

I run my standard coker tube in the nightrider tire at an astounding 32 psi.

corbin

Why so low? Offroad use or something. I used it at max pressure with the standard tube. I’m using the Coker button tire up to 50psi at the moment.

The high pressure was my Nightrider’s downfall after getting a big gash from glass. I tried doing patches on the tire but the high pressure kept making the tube bulge out. I loved the high pressure when it could hold it though.

I find it hard to go back to the heavy standard tube. The difference is a more delightful ride. But if you get the wrong 29"-tube it can pop quite soon. I had the best experience with a no brand tube that I had no trouble filling with so much air it was quite a bit larger than the tyre. I popped two Schwalbes in a row. Is Kenda 29x1,9/2,3 any good? The last blow happened because I had used poor rim tape: one layer of electrical tape that I had stretched on the rim so when I pulled the popped tube out I saw the tape was all on one side. Stupid I know, but a wheelset with low weight is important to me so I’m willing to take chances. This time I’m using a wide, strong, non-strech, woven medical tape. I hope it will keep the tube from going into the (drilled) holes of my airfoil rim.

There seems to be an idea floating around that 29’er tubes will cause catastrophic failure. There is only one way this could be true, and it’s within our control. The only reason for a tube to blowout (catastrophic failure) is a sudden change in volume. This could be because a tube blows into the rim due to poor rim tape, or because the tire blew off the rim.

Here’s what Jobst Brandt has to say, “Short tubes, that must be stretched to fit on the rim, can contribute to tire blow-off because a stretched tube tends to rest in the space on the bed of the rim where the tire bead should seat for proper engagement with the hook of the rim sidewall. A tube under the tire bead can prevent proper engagement with a hooked rim to cause blow-off even without excess pressure.”

If you are careful to make sure that the tube is inside the tire, and that the tire is seated on the rim correctly before bringing it up to pressure, you will get good service from the tube. I have had the same 29’er tube in my uni for over a year, and it’s on it’s second tire. I’m currently using a TA at 3 bars (44psi).

It seems I read this post too hastily the first time, I didn’t catch the mismatch of tube/rim sizes. Basically I still stand behind what I said before only there are a couple of extra steps and more care is needed…

Pre-stretch the tube! Inflate the tube by itself and let it sit overnight. Make it big but don’t stress it out (don’t pump it up hard enough to deform).

When installing the tube on the wheel your problem is likely to be that it stretches tight around the rim and gets in the way of the tire’s bead fitting properly into the rim. The key is to pull the tube up into the outer fatter part of the tire and hold it pinched in there as you seat the tire in the rim and do this all the way around.

Proceed to inflate carefully checking the seating of the tire all the way around as you go. Stop at intervals and ride around on it. Be patient this can be touchy.

I would bet that the blowout was caused by poor tire seating. Good luck.

The extra weight of the 36er tube probably makes the wheel roll easier on flat and downhill surfaces, as it tends to give it a “flywheel” effect. A bit extra weight means a bit more momentum builds up as you ride. At least that’s how it feels to me.

I used to run the TA tire which is heavier than the nightrider, but I also felt like there was a little added flywheel effect, and at least on flat and down hill I felt like the extra weight increased this effect. I may try a 29er tune just to see for myself if it makes the ride noticeably “easier”. I would imagine that the lighter, smaller tube might have the most advantage on up hill climbs.

I still insist on the 29er tubes but I recently went back to the TA tire because it was cheap and also I do enjoy the quieter ride on the road. I’ve been running it at 55 lbs with no issues for a long, long time, (knock on wood). For me, once I get it seated properly it seems to last forever.

Plus every time you accelerate or decelerate.

I just might have to try it! Would I just use a regular 29er mtb tube, or is there one that you guys like best? And what is the difference in weight between the 29er and 36er tubes?

Does one’s own body weight, including what is carried in your camelbak, contribute to the difference in the “feel” of the uni, or is it only the weight in the actual wheel that makes the uni feel lighter and more responsive?

Also, if you want to save the most weight, why not go all the way, and go tubeless? What would be your reasons for and against that option. Thanks!.

I use the schwalbe 29-er tubes. The weight savings is pretty good if you’re coming off a UDC 36-er. As far as going tubeless, I have thought about it and may when I get my 29-er road uni built in case it’s out of commission for a while.

I’ve been reading about tubeless “pros & cons” on some mtb sites, and what seems to be a common theme is something like: "The additional special rim strip and the guck weighs just as much as a tube. The main benefit is the ability to run lower tire pressures."

Also, if the 29er tube does flat, is it more likely to blow out form catastrophic failure, or just get a pin hole leak like a normal size tube? If it does blow out to the point that it’s not repairable, would you have been carrying a spare tube with you in case of that happening?