29er better than a 36er ?

I have ridden a 29er for 5 years but looking to buy a 36 uni. Tell me the truth, what is the difference besides price and wheel size/

36ers murder babies.

Rotating mass. The 36er rides very differently. Great for going in a straight line, not so great for going uphill or making quick maneuvers.

But they’re really great for going in a straight line. :slight_smile:

Oh, the other big difference is buying tires, and how much space they take up in the car.

Have no doubt that for most purposes the 29 is safer, more practical, more versatile, more manoeuvreable, easier to store, easier to buy tires for…

However, the 36" is a whole new experience. It is substantially faster and smoother, more spectacular, more challenging, and it is perfectly capable on cross country and light muni.

You know if you want one. It won’t be a rational decision.

For sustained, multi-mile climbs I prefer my kh 29er hands down. Light, nimble and will get you where you’re going with less pedal strokes than the smaller wheels, yet still climbs well. Going downhill it moves at a decent clip, especially with 110mm cranks, which I always bring along for the ride back down.

I ride in Central Pa and have had both a 29" and 36" for road use. I prefer the 36" so much that I sold the 29" because it was getting no use. I also have a Nimbus 26" muni for the woods. The 29" kinda fell in between the two and wasn’t the “best” for either. That being said, if I could only have one uni, it would be a 29".

Someone forgot to tell him that…
http://vimeo.com/11815056

Nah - he seems to have worked it out by the end (including the bit about them not being great for going uphill).

And puppies, don’t forget the puppies.

What’s the difference between a Miyata and a Corvette?

36ers are unique, fast, stable, great for riding distance. I can’t imagine riding road or easy trails on a 29", it would painfully slow and boring. A 36er is big fun, I ride mine interchangeably with my 29er, just depends on the trail, my mood, energy levels, etc…

The Corvette’s been around forever and still can’t use the search function? No, wait, I screwed that up. Its murdering again.

Search is for losers!

To the OP, you need to ride one, nothing else will help you decide.

I love my 36er, it is probably my favorite unicycle, but if you’d asked me two years ago I would have said that it was too big.

To get the most from your unicycle experience, try everything, even a giraffe, it is the quirky nature of unicycling that makes it different from biking, and 36ers are most definitely unique.

I like riding the 36er way more then the 29 because, in my opinion it is just way more fun going faster and such. And you can just ride over curbs and down three stairs with ease.

BTW, the answer to the question in the thread title is “No, it’s just different.” Better implies an end result, which really depends on what you want out of it. Discussions about that pollute these forums and there’s plenty to read on both sides of that (non-) argument.

Were you referring to the two attempts at doing spins off of those poles, of which both ended in dismounts? Of course there is an exception to every rule, and that guy’s a great exception for 36" wheels. But they definitely suck at tight turns, and the wheels are definitely heavy. That video is remarkable mainly because it’s all happening on a 36" wheel.

Nurse Ben said “Miyata”. The Corvette’s been around since 1953. Miyata, the Japanese bike (and unicycle) company, has been around since the 1890s. If Nurse Ben meant “Miata”, a.k.a. Mazda MX5, that makes more sense.

I guess the Corvette would be the 36" because it’s bigger, heavier, faster and costs more? But not better. Miatas are very different to drive, and are much more maneuverable than the 'Vette.

Yeah, like John said, Miata, sorry about the misspell :smiley:

Okay so I finally watched that 36er video, and other than the trick stuff, I ride my 36er on terrain like that and harder. There’s not much I won’t ride on a 36er that I’d ride on a 29er, about the only thing that limits my 36er riding is steep off road climbs due to having no low gear and big drops where I worry about tweaking my wheel.

36ers turn tight just fine, but you do it differently than on a smaller wheel, so more twists than carving, some hops, a jump, lots of body language. Not many people see a 36er as a muni, but it is really fun to ride a big wheel on tight trails, esp with rocks and roots.

In the end, a wheel is a wheel, they all ride like a unicycle, each has it’s quirks, for me a big wheel is more fun; 29" is no longer a big wheel to me :wink:

My favourite is my new 32er :slight_smile: … but I probably use my G29 the most as its the best all rounder :slight_smile:

Are you saying, that you change cranks during the ride?

The only problem I have found with riding a 29" uni is that it seems so slow and twitchy after riding a 36" uni :slight_smile:

You need both, different unis for different uses.

Different, not better or worse.
I love my 29er and my 36er, and wouldn’t want to give either one up. Not sure which I’d choose at this point if I could only have one.
I agree that 36ers are less nimble than smaller unis, but I still find the 36er uni to be more maneuverable than a mountain bike.
Get one, you won’t regret it. But also be prepared to put some time and patience into getting comfortable on it.

Sorry for offtopic but I have now 145mm cranks (stock) on my 36er. Planing to install 114mm. Will it be more difficult to ride 36er with 114 cranks? Thanks.

Going from 145s to 114s is a big jump; you might want to try 125s as an intermediate step. I recently went from 137s to 127s for general use on my 36 and it took me a few rides to get used to the difference. Mounting didn’t feel much different but slow speed control took a hit and hills felt a bit tougher. I’m almost back to my previous comfort level on easy off-road bits and the 127s do feel easier to spin on the road.