2015 Douthat State Park, Virginia, Muni Gathering(s)

Lodging update

If you check online you will find that the campgrounds, cabins and lodges are full for April 24 -26. If you want to come and don’t have a reservation, there still may be some options.

If you call the Reservation Center at 1 800 933-7275, you can reserve a “horse” site in the Beaverdam camping loop. This is a camping loop usually reserved for campers that bring their horses. When the rest of the campground is full anyone can reserve a site there. Adjacent to the sites are horse stalls for the horses. This camping loop is close to the Lakeside camping and the Beard’s Mountain Lodge.

There also may be a few extra beds in lodge rooms if you want to share a room with someone.

Sorry, but Jess and I won’t make it so our campsite on the lake loop should be available tomorrow afternoon after I cancel. I’ll be in Ecuador for a couple of weeks (with a fellow unicyclist nonetheless). Last minute opportunity came up, we’ll miss everyone :frowning:

Sorry you guys won’t make it but the trip to Ecuador sounds awesome.

You can transfer your reservation to the fall for no additional charge and avoid a cancellation fee. You can do it online or call call the Reservation Center at 1 800 933-7275. The fall dates are Sept 11-13.

Roland probably doesn’t realize the conflict he’s causing, so just tell him to push the Ecuador trip back a week or two. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have fun down there!

Lodging needed

Nathan Stoltzfus has invited my brother and I to come down to Douthat next weekend. Any chance anyone has room in a cabin for two guys?

I am in the lodge and have at least one bed I can sublet. Claude, does the room I am in have 2 or 4 beds?

Between you, Stephen and Robi, there is one room available with 4 beds. You can have it if you want it but let me know.

No one else has sublet any of my 1 to 3 beds available in my room at the lodge. These are shared accommodations in a single room within the lodge with communal areas and shared bathrooms.

While we should ‘try’ and finalize who’s sleeping where there still appears to be some additional capacity within the group based upon final commitments of others unconfirmed indications of interest ???

Likely I’m car pooling with camper James W who will use ‘our’ car as a storage area by the lake. This will leave more parking available at the lodge.

James and my current plan is to get to the Douthat park by early afternoon Friday and have a warm up ride. I volunteer a 3:00 pm start from the main ranger station. Alternatively 4:30 so campers can claim their campsites. Thoughts?

pax

It looks like we should be able to accommodate KUC Ohio. I have a VA Park pass so I can park in a lot away from the lodge if we are limited in parking. I am super excited to ride there again. I will bring a lasagna again like I did last Fall

Sorry to have to report that it turns out we will not be able to make it. My brother discovered a scheduling conflict that he previously wasn’t aware of. Thanks for your lodging offers. Hopefully we can join you next time. Keep riding…

For those of you staying in Beard’s Lodge, check-in time is 3:00 pm. I will be there earlier but they probably won’t let us in until 3:00 pm. Beard’s lodge is part way up the mountain near the cabins. It is not the lodge next to the ranger station.

The Chattanooga contingent will be arriving between 3 and 4 depending on traffic (6 hour drive w/o traffic). We would love to have time to set up our tents and be involved in an afternoon ride. If you can hold off till 4:30 or 5 Stephen, count us in!

Sorry to hear that you won’t be making it this year KUC Ohio! Tell Stoltzfus that he’s always welcome to come ride in Chattanooga!

The weather doesn’t look that favorable at the moment. I’ve seen a range of temperatures but the average is about low/mid 50s for a high (the best temperature IMO) but rain on Sat. and Sun.

I think we’re planning on showing up early afternoon on Friday so we can be sure to get at least one good weather ride in. I’m hoping there will be enough of us on Friday to have two groups, a split to accommodate people’s skill level?

I think I’ve only got one ride in me… if I’m lucky enough to get that. I’ve taken almost an entire year off of unicycling. I’ve got no conditioning or even muscle to back anything up these days. Disc degeneration in my lower spine settled in shortly after last spring’s Douthat trip and I haven’t been able to unicycle.

Hopefully I can get some surgery or something before the fall but I think I may have to give up the sport. :frowning:

Yeah, the weather is looking not-so-pleasant for us tent dwellers :angry: . Gonna make sure I’ve got an extra tarp and lots of warm clothes to sleep in. I’ll be pretty grumpy if my tent starts to get soaked overnight with a temp of 38.

Maybe we can fit in a few short loops on Friday afternoon so that people can join in as they arrive.

Still super excited for the weekend–won’t let the forecast get in the way of that!

I plan to arrive early afternoon on Friday to set up camp and will definitely be up for a ride as well.

Man, you guys are such doom and gloomers with the weather :stuck_out_tongue: Not that I put much stock in our Va weather forecasts, but I trust weather.gov the most. I’m only seeing at most a steady 24% chance of rain on Sat during the day with mostly cloudy skies. Can’t say what the precipitation amounts will be, but I’m fine with those odds so far.

Totally looking forward to the weekend!

That’s better than what I saw. This morning weather.com had the highs in the mid 40s, lows in the 20s with a 90% chance of rain. I didn’t like that forecast so I kept looking until I found one in the mid 50s with a 50% chance of rain.

Looks like I shouldn’t have been satisfied with that one and I should have kept looking. :smiley:

Haha, looks like I need to start looking around more too, weather.gov is around 50% now :slight_smile:

As long as the trails aren’t closed and there’s no lightning, then bring on the rain. I love riding in it!

I’m glad that you are getting to join us Ben. I’m disappointed that you back isn’t getting any better though.

2 beds available in the lodge…

Yes, unfortunately I can’t make it this weekend. I’ve had to take this entire week off due to illness. I’m bummed to miss everyone this weekend. Hope you have blast!

So, anyway, that leaves my room (2 beds) available in the lodge. If someone wants it just let me and/or Claude know so we know the space is filled. Thanks. Have fun!

Sorry to hear that Robi. I hope you feel better soon. We will miss you.