2015 Douthat State Park, Virginia, Muni Gathering(s)

There are 3 of us from Chattanooga that would be willing to drop our campsite and move into the lodge to help spread the costs. We don’t mind being split up. What would the cost be? 2 guys and 1 lady.

The cost for a room at the lodge is $130.35 for the weekend. There are now two rooms available. One room has two twin beds that sleeps 2 and one room has two sets of bunk beds that sleeps 4.

Room at the lodge

The room at the lodge that sleeps 4 has been claimed. There is still a room with two twin beds available.

Lodge check-in and details

Check-in time at Beard’s Mountain lodge will be at 3:00 pm. I will be there by then to take care of the check-in. I have already asked about an earlier check-in and was told that we will not be able to get in earlier than that. If you arrive earlier you will have to wait until 3:00 pm to get in. If you are staying at the lodge make sure you stop at the office to get your vehicle pass. The lodge is registered under the name Claude Magnuson. There is a maximum of six cars at the lodge and a parking fee is charged for additional cars.

The kitchen has an electric range and oven, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, drip coffee-maker, pots, pans, dishes and utensils. The kitchen is not equipped with coffee filters, coffee, salt and pepper, or nonstick cooking spray. Bed linens are provided and include sheets, pillows, pillow cases, blankets, a comforter, towels, washcloths and dish towels. One set is provided per bed and they are not changed daily. The lodge also has a washer and dryer.

Ditto that for me too. I really enjoyed riding Portal with you at Moab.
Get better soon!

Lodge room available

If anyone who has reserved a campsite would rather have a room at the lodge, there is one available with two twin beds ($130.35 for the weekend). You can transfer your campsite reservation to the fall for no additional charge and avoid a cancellation fee. You can do it online or call call the Reservation Center at 1 800 933-7275. The fall dates are Sept 11-13.

I will volunteer to lead a more advanced ride starting at Beard’s Mountain lodge at 4 pm to the top of the mountain and down to the park office. There will be lots of climbing and lots of steep downhill with sharp switchbacks.

Which one is the ride with very little climbing and lots of steep downhill? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like to save my climbing legs for the usual Saturday afternoon ride, but Douthat doesn’t ever seem to have that as an option.

Haven’t you found the elevator yet James?

I’m having the same thought. I want my legs to be as fresh as possible for Saturday afternoon, but I also want to challenge myself. Do I pace myself or just go all out? The adult in me says take it easy, but the kid in me says ride, Ride, RIDE! The kid is pretty loud unfortunately.:smiley:

Thanks Claude, I’ll plan to join you on that one.

Someone just needs to bring a helicopter for some heli-muni :sunglasses:

My thought is that depending on how much rain actually comes on Saturday I may not want to go all out anyways. So I say go all out on Friday while the conditions are likely to be better. Deal with Saturday when it comes.

I certainly understand the logic behind that, but I take it there’s little interest in having a group go on an easier ride Friday afternoon.

I was hoping my wife could get out on a ride on Friday before the bad weather hits.

Sunday looks like it could shape up nicely. My experience is that the trails drain really well, no worries about the trail conditions whatsoever, Brookes could tell you all about some “creek bed” riding. :wink:

Stephen has offered to lead a ride starting from the ranger station on Friday. He was the first to announce a ride option for Friday. I offered a different ride option so people could have a choice of what type of ride they wanted.

Ok, thanks. I missed that one.

Rainy day activity

If Saturday is a total rainout, we could visit Devil’s Backbone brewery “The Outpost”. It’s right at I-64 and I-81:

My wife Shelley is interested in an easier ride Friday afternoon.
I’m up for the “Claude” ride.
We’ll probably arrive around 3pm or so.
Looking forward to it.

• Chuck

Yep the Soggy Bottom Boys ride at Asheville, and WHERE were you at Ben? I can’t quite remember you going on that ride :roll_eyes:

Yeah, the glasses don’t fair too well, too many flecks of water obscuring vision.

I don’t mind getting wet/muddy once the water stops falling from above, flying blind… not so much.

The tobacco ridge trail imho that starts opposite the ranger station and by the camp sites there seemed like the best all around ‘rideable’ inclusive option for all. While it doesn’t have a two mile descent it also doesn’t have a two mile walking ascent : )

James Waltz and I plan to be at the Park by two and if there is a group that wants to ride at that time or maybe three at the latest on this route that loops back to the lake that’d be fun and I’m happy to ‘lead’.

We should have daylight through 8 PM so there is lots of time for flexin our muscles on Friday afternoon. That seems to be the prime weather window for a big ride and to make the most of the trail conditions - getting there early seems like a good idea. Set up camp/check into the lodge later.

Saturday morning may also be okay but the rain looks to move in by the afternoon and be quite significant. Bring rain gear for a road road down to the interstate and back up the climb in the afternoon might be a less muddy option. Or drinking lots of beer and taking a nap.

See you all tomorrow.

pip pip pax

Awesome Douthat weekend as always. Beards Lodge was great accommodations, thank you Claude for organizing. Thank you shuttle van Kim and other drivers. Thank you everyone for brilliant company, moral support and sharing everything.

Okay, the rain on Saturday was less than optimal. But we had Friday’s sunny ride that was excellent conditions wise. Four rides on Saturday was a record. Today’s morning ride with ten or so significant creek crossings sent us all home better than damp : )

Traffic home wasn’t too bad and JTC and I had no shortage of memorable anecdotes to re work and embellish while they were fresh- unlike ourselves!

pax out

Douthat 2015 Spring Muni Video

Here’s my edit of the video clips (it’s about 11 minutes): https://vimeo.com/127557203

Many, many thanks to Nate who generously provided most of the footage.
And to Claude for booking/organizing the gathering.
And to everyone else for making it a really enjoyable weekend.

• Chuck