125mm cranks on a 36er - why didn't I do this earlier?

Not only is it a nicer, smoother, faster, more fun ride, but I also find that long rides cause less saddle soreness. The thought of a 100km ride on 150mm cranks isn’t that great, but is no problem on 125mm.

And if you like 125mm, just try 114 or 110. Very very smooth, and very very fast.

—Nathan

When I first got my Airfoil wheelset I only had a set of 125’s to put on it, I had 150’s on the steel rim Coker prior. The 125’s were fine for flats and slight inclines but I didn’t like them at all for Seattle area hills (same thing for 102’s on the 29er).

For all-around Cokering I am very partial to my 140’s (and 110’s on my 29er).

Maybe when I’m in better conditioning I’ll try 125’s again but for now that’s this desk jockey’s opinion.

Thanks

For the info. I will buy some !:smiley:

If you want a real challenge do what i do. Get 110s on your coker. This is what makes speed fun. I’m soon to be getting 102s for mine but I haven’t decided yet. :smiley:

It’s great fun :slight_smile:

I was glad that I’d had lots of practice on 150mm cranks beforehand. It got me good at spinning smoothly and got me used to piloting the big wheel. In fact, having had a bit of practice on it I can now actually idle with the 125mm cranks a bite

So don’t be put off if the short cranks feel tricky to start with; you can always go back to longer ones and you’ll probably get comfortable with it with enough riding (assuming that length suits your legs, I guess!).

I, too, was blown away when I made the 150mm to 125mm switch. The first couple of rides I felt like a superhero.

Since I’ve lately been doing all Muni training (w/150s on a 29er) I loved getting back on the Radial/125s for a road ride last Sunday. I mounted up and said “Ahhhhh”.

yes too true… longer than 110 is for sissies. Although the real men ride 89’s :slight_smile:

Roger

That was a ‘see if I can do it’ kinda thing, I have done no 100km rides with those things!

Brian is not just a MAN! but is nearing to god status with 40mm cranks. :slight_smile:

Roger

Yes indeed - as long as 114 still counts as the non-metric version of ‘110’ (or I’ll be in the sissy bracket most days) :wink:

If you are considering 100’s… you’ll probably be glad you did. Fast, and can still go up non-monsterous hills. I think 89’s hit the sweet spot for ‘really really fun’ on the flat - 80s started getting much less fun.

Sam

I think i found that special someone who is capable of breaking my speed record. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You know, funnily enough, in my mind it’s the opposite. Cept, I replace sissies with “cyclists” cuz that’s much more pc. :slight_smile:

I have 170’s on my µニ and, though I haven’t tried any other sizes, they are good for mashing up and down steep hills on the technical single track that I like to ride.

The cyclists (read sissies) like to use short cranks and brakes… :slight_smile:

But hey, that’s just my overly jaded opinion. :wink:

Speaking of the qu-ax 36, does ANYBODY know anything about it at all? I’m very curious about any of it’s details.

OK, you guys are beginning to scare me now :slight_smile:

This looks like a good thread to talk about my current experiences. I too started with 150s, but went to 125s relatively quickly. I have also used 170s for some MUni, 140s for the San Francisco tour, and all both those shorter sizes for MUni. The shorter the crank, the flatter you’ll want your chosen trails to be!

Currently I have started training for a ride (partway, for me) around Lake Tahoe. This ride involves lots of hills and altitude, so I’m not considering anything shorter than the 125s I used last year. I find it a good all-around size for road riding and all but really steep hills. If I were riding it to work like I used to, I’d definitely give the 110s a try. I don’t like the loss of control you get as the cranks get shorter though. You need enough “oomph” to be able to make corrections from unseen bumps & such. My riding is too varied to go with really short cranks.

Just changed my tire to the Radial TA. Couldn’t get the old Coker tire off my (original) Airfoil rim, so I “took advantage” of my local bike shop for the tire change. After all, they only charge $7.00 to change a tire so I thought that was quite reasonable! :slight_smile:

I installed a computer on the cycle as well. Several searches only found me numbers for the Coker tire. Anyone got suggestions on cycle computer rollout numbers for the Radial tire?

Alloy rim, narrow than the airofil but the correct diametre, 48H, Qu-Ax ISIS freestyle hub (the red one). That’s all the info that’s been floating around.

I hope it’s a black frame.

Looks crome to me.

Based on that tiny picture the frame looks the same as the Coker (looks like round tube changing to oval midway down the fork). Splined may be seen as overkill for most riders, but this could be part of a move by Qu-Ax to all-splined on their higher-end products. That would be nice for unicycling in general as it would make splined stuff more available and cheaper.

Oh, I didn’t realize there was a picture of it. Looks pretty nice.

I emailed them about it, they told me they wanted to move ALL unicycles to ISIS, also theres no braking surface on that rim.

EDIT: oops you were right JF, he said all high end, not all. Heres the email:

I emailed municycle.com a couple weeks ago asking about it and this was their reply: