šŸ“§ You can now create new topics via email

Hey! :uni:

For those who use emails a lot and/or want to post on unicyclist.com from work if they canā€™t freely browse the Web :smirk:

You can now post new topics in most categories via email :slight_smile:

Feel free to share any issue if a topic isnā€™t posted.

:information_source: The topic will be published after 5 minutes at most.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity is the email functionality used often? Very cool to have options but I love the site and itā€™s GUI myself. So simple and nice :slight_smile:

People often (daily) reply to PMs or topics by email since the new software.

Creating a new topic is less straightforward (since you have to create an email instead of replying to one), wasnā€™t configured until now and I believe it wonā€™t be used a lot. Still, itā€™s a nice addition :slight_smile:

1 Like

The important question isā€¦ will I get another badge if I do this? :laughing:

6 Likes

There is no associated badgeā€¦ Is someone knows how to create a Discourse SQL query for this, it could be done. I donā€™t have the skills :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh well, thereā€™s 1 badge when we reply by email:

https://unicyclist.com/badges/43/first-reply-by-email

Given the query, it should be granted even when we create a topic despite the badge mentioning ā€œfirst replyā€.

Post.select(:id, :created_at, :user_id)
.secured(Guardian.new)
.visible
 .public_posts
.where(via_email: true)
.where("post_number > 1")
.find_in_batches do |group|
    group.each { |p| to_award[p.user_id] ||= { post_id: p.id, created_at: p.created_at } }
end

Seems fairly simple, and I could probably create a custom badge for new topics created by email as wellā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

Donā€™t make a new badge on my account. I was only half serious. I wouldnā€™t want you to put the effort in for my sake.

P.S. I already have the one for replies! :wink:

2 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Meaningless topic

I started a new thread by email earlier - took a while to appear for me, but otherwise worked, except I needed to edit it here to get a video link to work. Didnā€™t get the email badge (yet) however.

Badges are triggered by background jobs that run like once every day or something like this, so itā€™s not instant.

1 Like

Thanks - I waited a day but then decided to reply to this by email - belt and braces - and all this for a more meaningful badge! :wink:

Soā€¦ The email badge appears immediately when I replied by email as above (as intended), but didnā€™t appear even after a day when I started a new topic by email. So I think it still only works for replying - which is what it says it works for, so no problems

1 Like

I think the badge description mentions only ā€œrepliesā€ and a first post isnā€™t a reply, so thatā€™s logical, but in my opinion the badge should be granted when we create a topic, and description re-written to take this into account. :smile:

1 Like