Worst comment ever

So there I was, handing along a long wall that goes along the sidewalk, trying to learn how to wheelwalk. I of course, could get both feet to go down the wheel once, then dismount, to try again.

An elderly lady, out for a stroll says ‘Pretty hard isn’t it?’ ‘It sure is I said’ ‘Don’t worry, keep practising, you’ll be able to ride that thing someday’

:angry: :frowning: :astonished: :thinking: all of the above

Re: Worst comment ever

I find that unless a passerby actually sees you RIDING the uni forward for some distance, no matter what else you’re doing, e.g. trying to mount a giraffe, trying to ride backwards, attempting to do an unassisted headstand on the seat while keeping the uni upright and motionless while twirling an umbrella with each foot, the assumption is made that you’re just learning to ride and a well-meant and friendly bit of encouragement is in order.

Sometimes I will just smile and say thanks and sometimes I will break from what I’m doing and give them a demonstration of basic forward riding. Usually it depends on how my ego is doing at the moment.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I usually do like Raphael says. I cant stand people thinking that I cant do something I can do.
-Kap

I had someone say that to me butsepot i was learning to stand up wheel walk, Dont people have a clue? u dont learn to ride stand up wheel walk :slight_smile:

Trev

Uninformed or unfamiliar can be the source of unappreciation for dynamic skills happening in front of a person’s eyes. It’s much the same as not knowing what questions to ask about a new subject.

My thoughts, anyway.

Bruce

YEAH!

it is soooo frustrating and annoying when someone says something like “you’ll get it someday”. Arghh.

-Mike

In an Almost Totaly unrealated note, Last night while riding around a local lake, Which had some decent trials obsticles, this 6 year old says “Your a Vampire!”, followed by his younger sister saying the same thing. talk about an uneducated guess. I mean, he had no way of knowing just by watching me ride by that I’m a vampire…

Re: Worst comment ever

I once picked up a 24" uni for GBP5 at a local car boot sale, despite the
saddle being way to low I managed to freemount it in front of the the amazed
seller who said “so thats how you do it”.
that was good.
However the seat was still far too low to ride comfortably and as i did
not want to crush any civilians whilst riding it in the car park i wheeled
it out in front of me.
Once outside i had to have another go so i cheated by holding a lampost
to mount the uni again, as i did so a couple walked past me and the guy said
“I would’nt do that if I were you”.
As i pedaled past him i thought “YES… there is a god of
unicycling” :slight_smile:

trev

Trevor Pearce-Jones

“A uni is a trick bike.” The Sun. (on a photograph of a 12 year old paper
delivery boy riding a uni today)

¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸ [email]Trevpj@globalnet.co.uk[/email] Devizes. Wiltshire. England. °¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: 09 September 2002 15:09
Subject: Worst comment ever

>
> So there I was, handing along a long wall that goes along the sidewalk,
> trying to learn how to wheelwalk. I of course, could get both feet to
> go down the wheel once, then dismount, to try again.
>
> An elderly lady, out for a stroll says ‘Pretty hard isn’t it?’ ‘It sure
> is I said’ ‘Don’t worry, keep practising, you’ll be able to ride that
> thing someday’
>
> :angry: :frowning: :astonished: :thinking: all of the above
>
>
> –
> Sofa - I started ~~~~~
>
> If I had a signature, would you forge it?
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Sofa’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20315
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>