wilder rail bracket...

ok, round 2. i was so pissed, i scrapped round 1…
i just purchased a wilder rail bracket an’ primo rod to see how the other half lived. i’d been thinkin’ ‘bout this for awhile an’ finally could justify the $61 for the bracket. today is the magic day that said bracket arrives. much to my dismay, the bloody thing DOES NOT FIT! so, now that i am calm, the question begs…
is it the wilder or the primo that’s not right???
the rails are at least 2-3mm too narrow to fit in the seat post’s rail clinchers {sorry, don’t know their actual name} what this o’ course means is that if i tighten it down enough to use it, i get side tilt i don’t want. so, is it possible to bend the rails out to get them to fit correctly?? uni.com already f@#$ed up the paintjob doin’ their miyata seat base mod so i am not really worried ‘bout the paint anymore. however, will this needlessly stress the rails??
on the other hand, should i just send the bloody thing back an’ get Ti Cycles to build me a Ti bracket an’ be done with it??
any help would be appreciated. i am not pissed at anyone directly, just frustrated. my guess is it’s not the primo rod as the spare set o’ clinchers it came with had the same width therefore i had the same problem. i may sweet talk the more beautiful one into testin’ the bracket out on her mtb seat post…
in the meantime, thanks…
doc

awh ha ha hah…oh sorry.im sure you heard my frustration about my bracket 2 weeks ago.just be glad yours didnt brake (yet) like mine did.

i would file the primo rail slots out,making them wider.spreading the rails to fit is only going to add stress to the already weak welds.

my new one hasnt broke yet,if it does i will never buy another one again…thats all i can say

Re: wilder rail bracket…

I say spread the rails then beef up the welds. It’s strong and works well.
That’s what I did and I haven’t had a single problem.

Dylan

If the rails aren’t the right distance apart I’d send it back to unicycle.com. If you do try to spread them apart have a welder do it so they can make sure the welds are still good after bending the rails.

Do you have another bike seatpost to check the rails on? Some of the BMX posts have crummy rails guts (the parts that clamp on the rails). They’re just like a pipe cut in half with little notches cut in for the rails. Other BMX posts have good alloy guts that are much better. I don’t know what type of guts came with your Primo. Take the seat to a bike shop and check it on a proper MTB seatpost. If it doesn’t fit the MTB post then send it back to unicycle.com or find a welder to spread them.

If you have the sloppy steel guts for the Primo post you can get aftermarket alloy guts for BMX posts. A local bike shop may have alloy guts (I have seen alloy guts at Greggs in Seattle). Danscomp.com also has the alloy guts. Steel guts bad, alloy guts good.

h3y john,
still decidin’ between sendin’ them back an’ havin’ someone tweak them for me…
i have now checked it on an mtb post an’ they’re still too narrow by the same amount…
the primo is chromoly, so i am guessin’ the guts are not alloy. they’re really simply called “guts”??
i think i may hit Ti Cycles this eve an’ see what they can do for me. i managed to get it to work well enough to make it down the block an’ back just to see if it’s worth keepin’. i did rather like the tilt, i must say.
at this point, i may scrap wilder an’ go custom. we’ll see, we’ll see. at least i am in a better mood. the highlight o’ yesterday was goin’ to the dentist for the first time in 10 years an’ findin’ out i only need 1 root canal an’ had only 9 other cavities.
thanks for the reply an’ have a good one…
doc

ps. who/what is wilder anyway?? is it sorta like Yuni where it’s just what the drummond’s call a certain line o’ gear?? or is there actually a company called wilder??

now that i’ve had a little more coffee an’ have taken another look at the bracket, i realise bendin’ the rails out will not achieve my intended goal as the rails are still to narrow at the backin’ plate for the brake lever post. instead o’ parallel rails i will get somethin’ more akin to a trapezoid. merde, guess i send it back…
thanks again for replies to my dilemma…
doc

Re: wilder rail bracket…

Wilder is the unicycle.com “house brand”. It’s named after Wilder Ranch
State Park near Santa Cruz, California.

—Nathan

“dr garbanzo” <dr.garbanzo.bn7fz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:dr.garbanzo.bn7fz@timelimit.unicyclist.com

> ps. who/what is wilder anyway?? is it sorta like Yuni where it’s just
> what the drummond’s call a certain line o’ gear?? or is there actually
> a company called wilder??

Re: Re: wilder rail bracket…

thanks! not that there was any other reason to ask other than curiosity. but now i know…
doc