📜 [Wiki] Schlumpf 2022 Hubs - Frame Compatibility ⚙️

Every Flansberrium, I’ll let the others manage their business :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As manufacturers have numerous frames, it might be worth stating what frames.

Nimbus steel frame “Muni” frames are likely also OK if drilled, but a Mad4One URC frame would likely be a bad idea because of the stamped bearing housings.

1 Like

Welcome back Kris!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I got confirmation of both @ so I can tell you that either way works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is good to have this… here is what I think the basic criteria whether the frame will fit the new hub:

1. Hub bearing width to be 100 either 125.
  2. Designed to use 42mm x 12mm bearings.
  3. Have bearing housings to be robust (ie not pressed)
  4. Bearing housings to be slim enough not to hit hub body (TBC)
  5. A 6mm hole in top bearing housing (Not a problem to pre or post install or use the air vent hole already fitted).

Maybe rather than naming the brands that will or will not… it is the bearings housings that matter most. I have a samples box I have collected over the years and can photograph these.

3 Likes

Hi Kris,
Nice to see you there again !
6mm hole will be drilled on both legs of the frame or only left side ?

20 ! Not 22 ?

No, I meant 12! (edited)

3 Likes

Just wondering, is the word “aluminium” required?
I am wondering about compatibility with steel ISIS nimbuses.

Happy to remove it - you can too if you think the change will add clarity etc., no need to seek any approval really on bits that add value or clear up possible confused for this WiKi

I added it in, as a column for Brands’ Lines/SKU (of frame) felt like it could be excessive and over complicating the table.

However what Roger has highlighted - the frame view here isn’t really needed as it comes down to a set of specifications, which when met means a frame has reached compatibility.

Added to all this, while I can’t speak for others I’d not aim on putting a schlumpf (1650g) into a steel frame due to the weight - and presume 99% of riders would opt for aluminium due to that being lighter.

But then again - make a change if you think it needs it :grinning::gear::pray:

2 Likes

Thanks Felix.
I am contemplating buying a schlumpf hub, I figure it would be good for going fast and far in nice flat areas, at the moment I’m limited by pedalling speed. The hub is approx AUD$2500 though… I don’t have any aluminium framed unis, only steel.

1 Like

Time to buy a new frame then! Such a great hub should not be put into a low-end frame :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi Didier - the hole is only needed on the the left side.

2 Likes

Low end frames? Steel frames currently on the market are, but it’s not because it’s steel that it’s low-end! I freshly finished a 36er frame made with 4130 steel, and already compatible with all the ISIS schlumpfs generations :slight_smile: . Yes there is a little weight penalty over an alloy frame, but it will be a lot stiffer. Plus it’s made with aero tubing, so hey, it should be faster right? :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

There’s nothing about low end about your steel frames that’s for sure @jaco_flans

1 Like

It might be interesting to see old school steel bicycle style steel frames with intricate lugs. Some of those were beautiful and a unicycle made in that style would be really cool.

Nimbus and a bunch of other brands used to make frames like that. Currently I think Miyata might be the only one still making this type of frame: https://unicycle.onlinestores.jp/resources/upload/products/FL2021.jpg

1 Like

Hey all - update on the comment above, regarding 6 mm vs 8 mm hole for the lock.
It is going to be 8 mm after all - sunwheel production moved faster than expected.
Re KH frame modification (can’t comment on others) - suggest avoiding drilling out the upper bearing housing to avoid potential for affecting the weld join.

4 Likes

Yes, the steel 42mm bearing clamps would/do work really with Schlumpf hubs. I used one for my Lands End to John O’Groats ride.

1 Like