Wide 29" road tire

Should be ok. I have a light bicycle 40mm internal and a ARC 40mm internal.
Nextie rims are good quality about from there 36” rims but that’s a different story.

If it that’s tight make the tyre warm, leave it in the sunshine for a little while. I know UDC said this on the 36” tyres as it makes them easier to fit.
Also use soapy water to help aid it onto the rim.

2 Likes

I’m gonna see if another LBS can handle it, if not I’m afraid I’ll have to choose another tire.

As I read again I noticed you are doing it tubeless. I’m thinking maybe it’s because I’m not using a tubeless rim tape (I’m using the KH rim tape from UDC, which is kind of thick), as I was planning to use it with a tube.

I also ordered a Maxxis Rekon Race 29x2.4WT as a backup.

That will make a little difference having a tube in there and the thicker tape.
How come you are not going tubeless? I love it tubeless.

I just replaced my tubeless tape and put a Rekon 2.4WT Maxxterra on with a tube just for 24h before I take the tube out and add sealant.

The maxxis tyres are a tighting fitting then schwalbe and my ET

I don’t know, maybe I should, but I’ve never done tubeless before and I thought because I’d prefer high PSI on this build, tubeless wouldn’t shine that much. Then again maybe I should.

This is weird, the LBS guys said the ET is the tightest one they’ve ever seen, but I’m sure they’ve seen quite a bunch of Maxxises.

As long as you don’t go above the maximum PSI for the rim and the tyre you will be fine.
What do you class as high PSI?

I struggled getting my maxxis in the rim with a tube. Maxxis is definitely harder then schwalbe for sure. I can remember my ET being fairly easy.

The ET is rated at 60psi max, so I’d go for 50 to 55, again, for pure road riding. I find many tires, e.g. the Nightrider, the Hookworm(26x2.5) and the DTH(26x2.3) become harder to control under 45psi. Then in my knowledge, going tubeless is mainly for targeting low psi while not having a tube to be snake-bitten, which is not applicable to my use case. Maybe I should get my knowledge base updated.

The second LBS saved my day! It was very tough, took them half an hour but they finally managed to put it on.

So this concludes my G29 build. Thanks to everyone who gave me help in it, you are the best!

I’m posting pics in the other post

2 Likes

I’m a little late to this thread, but my Surly ET went on by hand, although I got it used and it had been mounted for a while before I needed to remove and reinstall it to patch the tube. It’s an amazing tire though, handles everything except wet mud and ice and rolls super fast, perfect for riding fast to a trail and then riding the trail.

3 Likes

I’m also a bit late to this thread, but I think it’s important to add the Vittoria Mezcal to the list for future reference. It’s a gravel tyre but rolls very fast on the road and seems to last a good distance.

It was by far the most popular tyre on Tour Aotearoa, which I did last year, followed by the Maxxis Icons. I did 3000km without a single puncture, on a mix of road and off road surfaces. It’s also reasonably good on camber.

My tyre was 29x 2.25, but I believe it comes in a 2.35 and 2.6" version.

5 Likes

Am I reading this right? you did over 1864 miles - 3000 km on a unicycle for one event. How long did that take? That’s insane.

Edit: I clearly misinterpreted, I’m assuming you meant over the life span of the tire.

Tour Aotearoa is one of the world’s great bikepacking trips: stretching 3,000 km from Cape Reinga to Bluff (the length of New Zealand) it follows a combination of cycle trails, tracks, paths and lanes connected by the most enjoyable country roads available. The event is a brevet, meaning that it is not a race and cyclists ride at their own pace, though participants are expected to complete the challenge in under 30 days.

1 Like

So I didn’t read that wrong. That sounds wonderful. Im assuming gizmo duck completed the event. Maybe gizmo could expand on the experience.

See GizmoDuck’s full report of his adventure in the link he provided.

I did it in 27 days, just over 100km/day.

The Mezcal was a great tyre. I think it could possibly last close to 3000km, but I swapped it over to a new Mezcal at half way to make sure there was plenty of tread left.

4 Likes

Amazing! My hat off to you, I’m very jealous. I would love to visit New Zealand let alone cycle it. I think I would be more of a bicycle candidate than a uni candidate for the trip you completed.

1 Like

My favourite 29 road tyre is the Maxxis Torch 29 x 2.10. The rolling resistance is very low and it has very low susceptibility to camber.

Anybody tried the new Schwalbe Super Moto? It’s rather wide (2.40") and has an updated design.