Why UNICON in Bemdiji Minnesota USA?

Summary:

Allow me to express my reservations: Bemidji, Minnesota appears rather unsuitable to host a Unicon. It is exceedingly remote, diminutive in size, lacks renown as a tourist destination, and is devoid of proximity to other attractions. Additionally, it proves costly and bereft of public transportation.

How and why was this locale selected? The website mentions consideration of various locations in the USA. What were the alternatives? Is there a procedure for proposing, voting on, or suggesting venues?

Extended Critique:

Upon reflection, it appears that the last Unicon held in such a remote location was in 2009 in Wellington, New Zealand? Prior to that, there was Bottrop, Germany in 1998 – albeit merely an hour by train from a sizable city.

It appears the event is to take place at a university. While the website suggests most facilities are nearby, the main Sanford Center is 5 km from the dormitories. Dormitory accommodation begins at 420 Euros. One might assume university lodgings are chosen to minimize costs, offering modest, economical options with flexibility, rather than mandatory 14-night stays.

The registration fee appears exorbitant. Nearly 400 Euros plus IUF registration, totaling close to 500 Euros. What does this fee cover? Insurance, emergency services – but are these expenses truly warranted? Previous Unicons seemed considerably less costly.

There is no regular public transportation to Bemidji. The nearest major city is a four-hour drive away. This appears to be a significant oversight. While the USA may not boast extensive public transit, surely there are smaller towns accessible by transit or closer than a 4-hour drive.

Bemidji has a population of 15,000. Previous Unicons have been held in larger cities (Montreal, Ansan) or smaller towns with tourism appeal (Donostia, Brixen). Bemidji falls short on both counts – neither near a major city nor recognized as a tourist destination.

Only 140 Americans are registered, with 25% from the state of Minnesota. There are more Germans registered than Americans?

Recent Unicons have been situated in either major cities or smaller, tourist-friendly locales with ample transportation options:

• Grenoble: Accessible public transport from Paris and Switzerland; situated in Europe.
  • Ansan: One hour from South Korea’s largest city, Seoul.
  • Donostia: An hour from Bilbao, a 5-hour bus ride from Barcelona.
  • Montreal: A major city with proximity to Europe.
  • Brixen: Regular daily 3-hour bus rides from Munich, boasting a major airport; 5 hours from Venice.
  • Wellington: Remote, akin to Bemidji, perhaps the most challenging to access recently.

Comparing further back may not be entirely equitable due to differences in social media, rideshare apps, accommodations, and transportation options. In short, I merely aim to articulate and share the reservations shared by myself and many peers. This is not an attack on anyone just attempt to understand.

1 Like

There has been some previous discussion on this which may cover some of the points you’ve raised. Also the podcast I mention there (post 16) has some discussion with Kirsten Goldstein on the location choice:

3 Likes

I don’t think you’re the only one who had these reservations. I’ve spoken with a handful of local unicyclists and many have said things along the same lines as you.

This will be my first UNICON, as I was too young to afford international travel when I first started riding. I then took a 12 year hiatus from riding. Only until recently (as of December 2023) did I renew my interest in the sport. Hence, I was excited that my return to unicycling coincided with the return of UNICON to the United States.

My excitement diminished significantly realizing, despite being in the U.S., this UNICON seems even less accessable than international destinations. What a catch-22.

I’ll still attend and I’m sure I’ll have an amazing time. But I can’t help but wonder if it could’ve taken place elsewhere in the U.S.

1 Like

Thank you. The other conversation is enlightening. With the benefit of hindsight my questions come down to:

• On the podcast summary it was said that Bemidji was eager and clamoring to host this. That a large university would make for spacious and available accommodation. However, with the benefit of hindsight: The dorms are very expensive and do not offer any flexibility. Where are the 3-night, 7-night packages for a nominal fee? The only option is the entire duration, 450 euro per person.
  • That the small city would offer intimate accommodation. Dorms to Sanford Center is 5 km. This is much to large to traverse multiple times per day.

The purported benefits, again, with hindsight, are not panning out. Not ample flexible accommodation, and not intimate closeby facilities. :slightly_frowning_face:

Were other cities really were considered?

1 Like

I’m with you on the cost. I live about 20 hours driving from Bemijdi and though I’d love to go, I could go on a trip to Europe for the price of attending. As someone who lived closer to that area and went the post secondary school nearby it’s quite perplexing.

Even some of the smaller locations in Canada will have a regional airport, nature nearby for Muni, and facilities to host the needed events.

As someone who mostly commutes and does gravel riding too I found the events taking place to make it seem mostly like a sports competition.

I get the social parts probably get self organized but keeping our sport to the traditional disciplines leaves out a good chunk of other parts I find like why not do a workshop about commuting by uni, or a race where each person carries 2 bags of groceries for 5km lol.

Though I’m sure the event is well worth the cost and is an amazing time for many of the attendees, it’s not for me this time around.

I’ll answer a couple questions I can answer. I’ve been to the 5 last Unicons and I have no plan to miss another one.

How and why is it selected: Anyone really can submit a potential location. Whoever submits (usually clubs) need to provide information on venues, accommodation, areas for the 35 different disciplines, information on tourism, the city, etc. There is a lot to plan, and anyone who has been to a Unicon can see that, so there aren’t tons of application. I dont know exactly how it’s choosen, but it is choosen by the IUF based on what application offers what is best to host a large group like us.

I have never been to Bemidji, so I can’t speak for how remote it is. The city seems to offer everything we need for 2 weeks. Smaller cities are very nice to visit, there is apparently lots to do in Bemidji (Unicon eats a lot of that time!). Having Unicon in a big city can create problems too. And not everyone wants to be close to a big city during the event. USA is huge, most places are remote to cities people would know.

Accommodation in America is expensive. There are other choices, but more expensive. Even at the current price, it is still cheaper to get the dormitory for the whole period and stay half that period of time. So it is very economical.

The registration fees cover a lot more than insurance and emergency services. They cover other fees like renting the race track, permits for certain events (like Muni, Road, CX), road closure for road races, road closure for the parade, materials for urban events, chips for races, ect. Everyone is volunteering, none of the directors or organisers are paid for any of the work we put in. 2 weeks of events can get expensive fast.

Public transportation in North America sucks. You dont need to go visit the nearest major city, I do understand many people might want to do so though. I’ll be driving and arriving from North, so I wont see any major cities (and I have no plan to do so), I’m sure Bemidji will be a great place to visit.

There has always been more Germans than any other at Unicons. Montreal had about 1/3 or registrations from Germany. There is just a huge number of German unicyclists, and it’s awesome that they join event further away.

I hope that answers some of your questions :slight_smile:

9 Likes