Why live?

Got a heart operation. Can’t ride anymore.

What do I do? Feel like dying if I can’t ride anymore. What the hell good is life after one wheel is no wheel?

Sidewalk Surfer

Peace,
Jay Hatfield
404-229-8074
Personal:jayhat789@yahoo.com
Business:jay@homescenes.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup

Jay,

I am sorry to hear of your heart condition, and your inability to ride. Nobody can trivialize a problem like that, and I’m sure no advice I can muster up will ever replace your desires.

Still, life goes on. There are a million pleasures and challenges left. There are a million things left to learn. You fell in love with the cycle, perhaps you can find something else you love. Books, friends, young people who are growing up in life, music, etc. You have to. Use every minute, take up something new. If pleasures seem like trifling things, take up charity.

If you want to stay in the world of cycling, and it doesn’t pain you too much emotionally, teach somebody else verbally. Contribute advice. Organize an event.

I’m not trying to say that my words can cover it all up. I’m just trying to show you that as long as you look for options, and look forward, and have friends at your side, you have things left to do in life.

I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

Lewis

Hey Jay,
When matters turn the wrong way…look to Jesus my friend, for He is the almighty healer that is greater than any force, and will heal you if you are willing, and let you ride the good life.

Psalm 37:4 - Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

My prayers are with you, so that you may see the light,
that Jesus loves you.

Sincerely,
~Jon~

Maybe you will be able to ride again, doctors can be a bit over protective sometimes. Gentle cruising on a uni isn’t really any more exerting than walking.
If not, as lewis said there’s plenty of other things to get into- if I’ve learnt one thing from all the unicycling, juggling and numerous other things I’ve been into, it’s that you can get get pretty good at anything if you just practice it!
There’s a whole world of possibilities to try out- craft, playing music, art, tai chi, writing etc. etc.

best wishes,

Dave

And walking is a fantastic sport! Best to you.

Re: Why live?

Jay Hatfield <jayhat789@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1022821202.22156.rsu@unicycling.org>…
> Got a heart operation. Can’t ride anymore.
>
> What do I do? Feel like dying if I can’t ride anymore. What the hell good is life after one wheel is no wheel?
>
Jay,

I feel very sorry for you. I noticed that in the Unicycle Fanatic test
<http://www.unicycle.uk.com/uni-fanatic.asp?action=results> you scored
a mere 0.02 point different than me. That may entitle me to say the
following.

To me, as apparently to you, unicycling is a significant part of my
life and I would severely depressed if I couldn’t do it anymore. (In
your case it will be even worse, as I imagine there are more straining
pastimes now out of reach.)

Having said that, there’s other hobbies in my life. Lewis made some
very good suggestions, better phrased than I could. I’m sure you can
find something else to pick up and get passionate about. Don’t let
your heart condition win over you!

All the best,
Klaas Bil
(Echelon-thingy may have a heart condition too.)

In article <MrHalabaloo.5iafn@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
MrHalabaloo <MrHalabaloo.5iafn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Hey Jay,
)When matters turn the wrong way…look to Jesus my friend, for He is the
)almighty healer that is greater than any force, and will heal you if you
)are willing, and let you ride the good life.
)
)Psalm 37:4 - Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee
)the desires of thine heart.
)
)My prayers are with you, so that you may see the light,
)that Jesus loves you.

Maybe you can arrange to have him come down with a new ticker for the
poor guy then. Or is he still too busy helping out reality show
contestants and basketball players?
-Tom

Hey Mr Halabaloo, i’m with you 110% man. Strange thou, last time i mentioned Jesus some people fell on me like a ton of bricks and told me to stop preaching/ telling them who to worship.
Any way, Tom Holub, yeah, Jesus is real busy helping out reality show
contestants and basketball players, but he’s also up for helping Jay or anyone for that matter. Sometimes thou, he doesn’t help us the way we want, that’s why we’ve gotta trust he’s got things under control.

Anyway, i could go on all day, just thought that needed to be said.
Take care

All,

This thread should be about helping Jay.

Let us all just give a shout of support to Jay, and wish him well in all things.

Jay, I wish you all the best. If you have friends or family who you feel comfortable with, chat with them. If not, we are here.

Lewis

As one who has engaged on this forum in religious debates and one who believes they are generally appropriate given the right circumstances, I would like to suggest that this is not the proper thread for this kind of discussion. People deal with loss differently and as Jay has opened himself up in a time of personal difficulty it is appropriate that people express their sentiments based on their own personal beliefs, religious or otherwise.

That being said, I’ll return to a common theme for me. Karl-Heinz Ziethen, the juggling historian I have mentioned here before, took up his vocation, I believe, as the result of some medical condition that prevented him from becoming the juggler he would have liked to be. He subsequently has become the authority on the history of juggling.

In no way to minimize Jay’s health condition, my own investigations into the development and uses of the Coker stem from interest and curiousity, but also from the fact that personal (though not health) circumstances prevent me from devoting as much time to unicycling as I’d like and certainly from traveling hither and yon to spend more time and be more involved personally with the unicycling community. It is my hope to learn from this investigation and to make a contribution that will benefit unicycling.

So, Jay, whether your comfort comes from religious beliefs, loved ones, or a new found purpose/activity or any combination, I do join the others here in hoping to assure you that an end to unicycling is not an end in itself.

Best of luck,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

RE: Why live?

> Got a heart operation. Can’t ride anymore.
> What do I do? Feel like dying if I can’t
> ride anymore. What the hell good is life
> after one wheel is no wheel?

Jay,
I’m sorry about your medical condition. But the answer to your question is
one that must come from within.

I have thought about this myself, starting long ago. What would I do if I
ever lost the ability to ride (such as through a spinal injury or loss of
limb, etc.)?

And the answer was clear. If I stay interested in unicycling, there are tons
of things to do. I can teach others. I can write stories, for On One Wheel
or for the newsgroup. I can volunteer and help the sport. I can find
sponsorship monies for unicycle conventions, and help run them.

The sport of unicycling is looking for lots of people to help, and it
doesn’t matter if they can ride or not. Much of my involvement in unicycling
has been spent in front of a typewriter, followed by a word processor, and
today a computer. It has also been spent talking to people. In person and on
the phone, to provide them with information or motivation to make unicycling
what it is.

There is plenty for you, and any of us, to do. You just have to ask yourself
if that’s what you want to do.

Good luck,
John Foss
President, Unicycling Society of America
President, International Unicycling Federation
jfoss@unicycling.com

I would open up a unicycle store, selling parts, components, clothing, fixing wheels, changing bearnigs, being constantly surrounded by my passion. Your work stool could even have a miyata air conversion upgrade. Shit, that sounds like a fine business good ticker or bad.

Like mentioned earlier, I’d find out for myself if I could still ride or not.

religousness

well i my self am athiest, not that it relly matters, but i can stand somone on a form, talkin bout religion, as a way to cope with bad things happen in your life if they got a bad heart, its like if you see it starting to talk about religion, just scroll past it, not like a conversation with a group of people were you gota hear it, ona form you just go by, nothing making you read it. Plus aslong as this doesnt turn into a religous form, it should be cool, if its mentioned every 100 threads. Well hopefully i didnt offend noone, if i did, sorry. later, and Jay, youll find somthing to do, you could try your hand at inventing, talk to ohter unicyclist, hear what they want, and try makin stuff in your spare time or somthing, it still is in the unicycle community, and hey you got a possibilitie of makin money on the side.:slight_smile: so anyway, yeah, later.

Jay,

I totally agree with John. In the last ten years or so I have been doing a lot of organizing
of unicycling clubs and Unicons, especially in Asia, and much less riding. This is a good
way to contribute to the sport even if you can’t ride, as John explains. I do hope that
you get well enough and back on top soon.

Best of luck

Greetings

In message “RE: Why live?”,
John Foss wrote…
>> Got a heart operation. Can’t ride anymore.
>> What do I do? Feel like dying if I can’t
>> ride anymore. What the hell good is life
>> after one wheel is no wheel?
>
>Jay,
>I’m sorry about your medical condition. But the answer to your question is
>one that must come from within.
>
>I have thought about this myself, starting long ago. What would I do if I
>ever lost the ability to ride (such as through a spinal injury or loss of
>limb, etc.)?
>
>And the answer was clear. If I stay interested in unicycling, there are tons
>of things to do. I can teach others. I can write stories, for On One Wheel
>or for the newsgroup. I can volunteer and help the sport. I can find
>sponsorship monies for unicycle conventions, and help run them.
>
>The sport of unicycling is looking for lots of people to help, and it
>doesn’t matter if they can ride or not. Much of my involvement in unicycling
>has been spent in front of a typewriter, followed by a word processor, and
>today a computer. It has also been spent talking to people. In person and on
>the phone, to provide them with information or motivation to make unicycling
>what it is.
>
>There is plenty for you, and any of us, to do. You just have to ask yourself
>if that’s what you want to do.
>
>Good luck,
>John Foss
>President, Unicycling Society of America
>President, International Unicycling Federation
>jfoss@unicycling.com
>www.unicycling.com
>
>
>___________________________________________________________________________
>rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>

Stay on top, Jack Halpern
Executive Director for International Development
International Unicycling Federation, Inc.

Well Jay, its totaly up to you…
All I can say is that Jesus is THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIGHT…and nobodies opinion can change it, just because they havn’t seen the way, truth, and light. So people, please dont critisize religon if you have never felt the love of God for yourself. And Jay…Heart problems can be serious, and have to be taken serious…and I sugest that you get to know the King of all Kings and Lord of all Lords, for you life, not just for unicycling, but for a healthy heart to live your life.

~Jon~

Hey Jon,

I know would you mean. Without jesus the life isn’t a real life. Many people are asking for the reason of living here on the earth, god is the answer of all questions…

greetings
-Felix

GOD BLESS

> I know would you mean. Without Jesus the life isn’t a real life. Many
> people are asking for the reason of living here on the earth, god is the
> answer of all questions…

Yep, fear of death and a lack of tolerance for uncertainty go a long way
toward explaining religion.

A heart operation is a tough thing to go through but you did it and that’s what counts. You’re alive and kicking. Nothing is forever. For years I’ve worked with kids that are medical miracles. I’ve learned from them that you need to take time to heal. There’s a good chance that technology will catch up and you’ll be on that uni again.
Until then enjoy life. Learn the technical aspects of a unicycle if you want to stay in the uni game. Learn how to lace a wheel properly. Grab a camera and film some events or something. there’s lots of thing you can do. It sucks that you can’t be on a uni but you can be around them.
Good luck

Unicycling is only one hobby among many, and most of the best hobbies seem to involve being fit and healthy. If I couldn’t unicycle, I could live with that, but the same disease would probably stop me dancing, and that would be hard. After 19 years in the same team, dancing every week except for holidays and sickness, I doubt I could cope. So if unicycling’s your big thing, I can sympathise 100%.

As an atheist, I have to say I found the foray into religion on this thread a little distracting and inappropriate. Each to his own on this point, but it all boils down to you deciding how you want to go on: will you decide to find a way round the problem, or will you decide to throw in the towel, or will you decide to put your faith in something spiritual? Your decision.

Most of the constructive responses have been along the lines of ‘there are plenty of roles in the sport for you… you don’t have to ride to be a unicycle enthusiast’ and there is some sense in this. However, here’s another constructive approach: how much does your doctor know about unicycling? Is it simply a case of forbidding it because it sounds like it’s vigorous? Are you banned from going up and down stairs, walking the dog, smoking cigarettes, watching sport on TV… ? Maybe, just maybe, there is scope for a little light riding in the appropriate circumstances. Speak to the doctor in more detail, if you haven’t already done so.

Good luck.

There’s a difference between religion, and faith. Oh you of little faith, it is not impossible for Jay to receive a brand new heart through supernatural means. Miracles happen to be an unexplainable phenomenon, but not coincidental in nature when for instance a “brother in the Lord” comes up to someone, prays, and heals the person by the power of God. We as humans can’t do jack. But with God, all things are possible to him who believes. Religion, by the way, does not produce miracles but rather a false blanket of being “spiritual”.

Precisely right. But again religion has nothing to do with miracles or faith. Religion of this world is to trust in traditions, to try and mold your own life by your own power. Faith works differently. And it would be disturbing or meaningless to those who don’t believe (ahem, athiests), to hear the word of God you dont beleive in… that’s cool though, live with whatever hell comes your way. But if yall want freedom, Jesus is the way. Miracle Man. lol

I completely agree with John Foss though… at one time or another, everyone will reach a point where their circumstances deem them unable to ride. At that point, what John said, you can choose what to do cuz there is LOTS to do. But hopefully that won’t come til we’re all old fogeys. And hopefully one has enough faith to at least try to defy his/her conditions. If not, then I hope you live with it the best you can.

There are some things that are forever… like the spiritual realm and God, etc. Most of the time, effects in the physical body are results from some type of action in the spirit realm. Medical miracles = what? Unbelievable recovery? Perhaps that it could be the hand of God in assistance, which otherwise they’d be helpless? Those cases are documented and nowhere near coincidental. Technology can speed things up, and so can medicine at times… but the hand of God is instant for those kind of healings.

Jon~