Why do unicycles exist?

Unicycles exist, because bikes dont fit in most cars. That was the main reason I wanted to learn UW, coz it takes even less space in the car, but it is too hard and tiring to ride.

So when the inventor and his friend got married, they decided to join the wheels and thereby created the bike

Answer: 42

To be honest I went for a Brompton because my 27.5er muni is uncomfortably large in the train (and comparably slow at the destination of the train).

For me unicycles exist because they are fun and require less maintenance after a muddy ride in the woods. After they invented the chain they found out it wears pretty quickly when operated in sand and water…

1 Like

You need to start getting your news from more reliable sources. I wouldn’t trust this place!

Whether that is true or not, when I was trying to learn, the ground was VERY real!

I guess that sums it up for unicycles.

For atomic bombs, however, they wanted “terrible” bad enough to spare no expense and involve thousands of people in making it before anyone else could. Then, of course, they “had to” use it…

I’m trying to think of responses with John Oliver in mind:

• They exist to show you that the impossible is not always what you think it is
  • They exist to remind us that we can do the impossible
  • They exist because sometimes, stability is overrated
  • They continue to exist because, once you go through the struggles of learning, they are too much fun to walk away from!
  • They’ve been pointless for all this time, until they became a perfect metaphor for the year 2022! :slight_smile:

Well, Scientific American reckons there is a 50:50 chance we are living in a simulation. So the deeper question should maybe be: “does our perception of a unicycle’s existence in this reality help to prove this is actually a simulation?” – ie. did unicycles come in to existence due to a bug in the simulation software? – as only a bug could create something so impractical and hence this must be a simulation… :grinning:

We probably aren’t living in a “simulation” as we would define it in this universe, simply because the concept of a “simulation may only exist inside our “simulation”.

2 Likes

Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly,
Human got to ask “WHY, WHY, WHY?”.

The answer is simple: unicycling can ONLY exist as a tiny minority.

Because the ONLY use of a unicycle is to be able to ride “legally” along one of those “prohibited” paths where the authorities have put up a sign with a picture of a crossed-out car, a crossed-out horse and a crossed-out bike.

If too many humans take up unicycling, the authorities will add a picture of a crossed-out unicycle to those signs and our only advantage will evaporate.

So fellow riders, we need an “anti-religion” to STOP our activity becoming too popular. Spread the word that Odysseus killed Cyclops because he had only one wheel, and King Tutankhamun died in a chariot crash because the chariot only had one wheel, and that “unicycle” really means “You, knee! (sigh) KILL!”. And moreover, NONE of the prophets of a current major religion advocates unicycling (BUT, the other day I saw a burning bush with the devil herself/himself/itself in the flames laughing while performing tricks on a one wheeled chariot!).

2 Likes

Because there needed to be something to match the UNIqueness and awesomeness of the few who are just too cool for 2 wheels.

3 Likes

You, my friend, are smoking some very fine herbs. But I do have the T-shirt: You, Knee (Sigh) Kill! Circa 2005 or so? From The Dan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unicycles exist to check if I have vertigo

When I pass by runners, I feel unicycling is an evolution of running.
I have only ever done one marathon.

Sometimes when people ask about the feeling of unicycling,
I tell them “ once past the initial learning curve, it feels so intuitive… I love it.”

I tell people it’s a cross between running and bicycling.

It’s also cycling that can turn into running very quickly :smile:

4 Likes

Yes… an evolution from Bicycling… ejector seat…

1 Like

I call it the Wile E Coyote moment. Peddling in mid air after separation from the unicycle waiting for gravity to catch up.

5 Likes

A so called unplanned running

1 Like

I think unicycles exist to p### o## road riders!!

hmm, looks like us humans can’t answer the question properly, so let’s see how the OpenAI chat bot (with default configuration) handles a set of questions about unicycles. Sorry it is a bit long, but you may the following transcript amusing…

Q: Why do unicycles exist?
A: Unicycles exist as a form of transportation, recreation, and performance art.

Q: Why do some people ride unicycles?
A: Some people ride unicycles for recreation, exercise, or as a form of performance art.

Q: Is unicycle riding pointless?
A: Unknown

Q: Why is a unicycle better than a bicycle?
A: A unicycle is better than a bicycle because it requires more skill and balance to ride, and it is more compact and lightweight.

Q: Why is a bicycle better than a unicycle?
A: A bicycle is better than a unicycle because it is easier to ride, it can travel faster and farther, and it can carry more cargo.

Q: Are unicycle riders all clowns?

Q: What would happen if there were no unicycles in the world?
A: If there were no unicycles in the world, people would have to rely on other forms of transportation, such as bicycles, skateboards, or scooters.

Q: What is a common feature of nearly all unicycles?
A: Nearly all unicycles have a single wheel and a seat.

Q: Does anyone say that unicycles are practical?
A: Yes, some people say that unicycles are practical for short-distance travel, as they are lightweight and easy to maneuver.

Q: Can anyone ride a unicycle?
A: Yes, anyone can learn to ride a unicycle with practice and dedication.

Q: Are unicycle riders too cool for 2 wheels?

Q: Where did the first unicycles come from?
A: The first unicycles were invented in Germany in the late 19th century.

Q: Are unicycles evolving?
A: Yes, unicycles are evolving with the introduction of new designs and features, such as electric motors and disc brakes.

Q: How are unicycles manufactured?
A: Unicycles are typically manufactured by welding together metal frames and attaching a wheel, seat, and handlebars.

Q: Can unicycles be simplified?
A: Yes, unicycles can be simplified by removing features such as brakes, gears, and suspension.

Q: Are unicycle riders intelligent?

Q: Are unicycles dangerous?
A: Yes, unicycles can be dangerous if not used properly, as they require balance and skill to ride.

Q: Are there any laws prohibiting unicycle riding?
A: No, there are no laws prohibiting unicycle riding in most places. However, some cities may have specific regulations regarding unicycle riding.

Q: Was it inevitable that unicycles would be invented?

Q: Why don’t more people ride unicycles?
A: Many people do not ride unicycles because they require balance and skill to ride, and they are not as practical for long-distance travel as bicycles.

Q: What are some common misconceptions about unicycling?
A: Some common misconceptions about unicycling include that it is difficult to learn, that it is dangerous, and that it is only for circus performers.

Q: Is unicycling similar in some ways to a religion?

Q: Do any famous people ride unicycles?
A: Yes, some famous people who ride unicycles include actor Will Smith, musician Moby, and comedian Steve Martin.

Q: Do any criminals ride unicycles?

Q: Would the world be a better place if there were no unicycles?

Q: Are some people annoyed by unicycles?
A: Yes, some people may be annoyed by unicycles due to their loud noise or the fact that they can be difficult to maneuver in crowded areas.

Q: Are some people puzzled by unicycles?
A: Yes, some people may be puzzled by unicycles due to their unusual design and the fact that they require balance and skill to ride.

Q: Could unicycling be a way to save our planet from global warming?

Q: What is the best way to destroy a unicycle?
A: The best way to destroy a unicycle is to cut the wheel off with a saw or other cutting tool.

Q: Why don’t unicycles track in straight lines?
A: Unicycles do not track in straight lines because they require balance and skill to ride, and the rider must constantly adjust their body position to stay upright.

Q: Is it easy to ride a unicycle downhill?
A: No, it is not easy to ride a unicycle downhill as it requires balance and skill to stay upright and control the speed of the unicycle.

Q: Is it especially hard to ride a unicycle up hills?
A: Yes, it can be especially difficult to ride a unicycle up hills due to the lack of momentum and the need for more balance and skill.

Q: Why are there so few unicycles?
A: There are relatively few unicycles because they require more skill and balance to ride than other forms of transportation, such as bicycles or skateboards.

Q: Is unicycling a sport?
A: Yes, unicycling is considered a sport and is practiced by many people around the world.

Q: Is unicycling faster than walking?
A: Yes, unicycling is generally faster than walking, depending on the terrain and the skill of the rider.

Q: Are there any unicycle clubs?
A: Yes, there are many unicycle clubs around the world that organize events and competitions.

Q: Are there any unicycle forums?
A: Yes, there are many unicycle forums online where people can discuss unicycling and share tips and advice.

8 Likes

I think the OpenAI Chat Bot should get an account on here… :wink: