why can't unicyclists have it too?

Because your statement is only partly true, and is partly incorrect or at least incomplete. It needed some justification.

Because I saw the birth of the idea myself during that day, and because I find it unfair that Schlumpf is receiving all credit for that part, while he initially approached the possibility of a solution negatively and with a somewhat arrogant attitude of being right -in thinking it was impossible to do so, based on his(?) bicycle hub concept-.

Oh, and for the record and to keep things in perspective:
Yes, I certainly do think Schlumpf deserve credit for taking a challange that wasn’t easy.
No, I did NOT call him arrogant, but only his attitude that day.

I had the illusion you were willing to learn about it.

Why would I even address this question again while the answer came already in my 1st post?

Since I never stated you made a false statement, and you’re now are acting aggrieved that you do not understand why I corrected it…
…did I arrive in a contest who’s the most stupid in wasting time and bandwidth?

So in the context of the discussion over the hub’s price, the fact that it’s only 98% Swiss engineered means…?

PM me your address and I’ll send you a cookie for winning whatever it is you think you’ve won here. Congrats.

Oh! Speaking of which, when will my statue be installed?

Can we get my Schlumpf hub bronzed and make it into a statue?

corbin

Well we officially scared off a new poster. Sorry Palacki808. :confused:

2%

But, are you asuming I’m only allowed to correct your arguments when there’s enough context to the initial topic (which was answered multiple times in this thread alone already)?

Just put:

unicycle
The Netherlands

on the enveloppe, and do NOT put a return address.

Probably the biggest reason we aren’t going to see a geared hub in this price range for a uni lies in the size of the market. There are a lot more bikers out there than unicyclists.

The fixed gear 3 speed hub is a niche item even in the bike community. As much as it’s special, it’s also pretty ordinary. The guts inside it are borrowed from a hub that has been in production in one form or another for decades, the SA 5 speed. It’s really a 5 speed hub that has been stripped down. Considering how niche this thing is I would assume it to be quite a bit more expensive, but since it hasn’t really got any new tech, or even parts it was fairly easy to bring it to market. In its current incarnation it is fixed with a bit of freeplay, but it doesn’t handle extensive reverse torque. It really doesn’t handle much drive torque either. Most internally geared bike hubs are rated for a drive ratio of no less than about 1.8:1. So, a 1:1 input ratio would kill most of these hubs. My S3X has an input ratio of 46:14, or a little better than 3:1.

If there was a stock hub that could easily be stripped down to serve as an internally geared uni hub I think we could see a lower price. Unfortunately, that hub doesn’t exist.

That would be a terrible waste of a good hub! Use a broken one.

And you can have your statue whenever you choose to make it. A guy like you wouldn’t want to leave that to someone else, would you? :slight_smile:

Or bored off, or disgusted off…

I guess Leo doesn’t like cookies.

So why so mysterious? Who was it that was trying to convince Florian on that fateful day? In any case, Florian deserves 98% of the credit. Without him, most of us wouldn’t have geared hubs. No matter who engineered it, if somebody didn’t make them, we’d still be riding slower and pedaling faster. :smiley:

Don’t feel like you’re being attacked, more likely you just stepped in a pile of pooh that you didn’t see; i.e you’re new and didn’t realize this is a hot topic.

Geared hubs should cost less, geared hubs should be more common, geared hubs should be more than one gear, but, they’re not.

Do some reading on geared hubs, it won’t answer your question, but it’ll help you understand how much thought has gone into this problem.

FWIW, I think your question was legitimate, and I agree you didn’t deserve the backlash you got. I’ve gotten the same type of response from a simple comment before, but it is usually very rare on this site. Don’t let a few snippy comments keep you from using these forums. Most of the people here are very helpful without being rude.

I’ve read and re-read the above posts but I just can’t find any attack or backlash from the responses. I only see facts and points being made to help to OP understand.

Really the implication of being attacked by juveniles was the first offensive thing I read.
It seems that post would have made more sense to say: “Ahh… I see. Yeah, makes sense.”

Also, this thread title is bad. Nothing about geared hubs, Schlumpf, Sturmey, cost… this thread could be about anything.

Kinda funny that someone would bash on the guy who made the geared hub a reality, sorta like trash talking Einstein because he didn’t complete a formal education.

There is no such thing as a new idea, only people who realize the idea and make it a reality.

Leo, if you’re jealous of what Schlumpf has done, maybe you could put that energy into a better product. If you did, I for one would be in line to try it out…

I guess you think the addressing wont work. I think it will.

If you paid attention then you must have noticed I do not bash that guy. Just those who give 98% credit to the wrong person. Something beyond the control of Florian. But without the originator then Florian still would claim it is impossible. I am not at all jealous on Schlumpf; as I do not have (and never had) interrest in making such hub (or even owning one). Again; I was only a witness of a sequince of events that day, not involved in the process (although I saw the draft as very 1st for review), and I have added 0% of engineering.

Thanks for that, that was probably what the OP was expecting to get. Looks like everybody have had a hard week…

Never did understand epicyclic gearing myself, I understand that is what the Schlumpf is.

Of course if you want a cheaper Schlumpf hub I suppose you will have to get Mr Schlumpf to migrate to China! :stuck_out_tongue:

Life is short,let’s ride (or run as the case is).

More likely he would outsource the uni-hub production to Germany.

But the Germans aren’t exactly known to make things much cheeper than the Swiss.

EDIT: link

I have to admit, I replied before I read the thread. There isn’t a large community of people riding the S3X, and there is probably an even smaller contingent of unicyclists on that hub. So, I figured as a member of both groups I have a perspective that might be different than other posters, or at least some experience with the hub in question.