Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

Thanks for taking the time to dig out this thread, and congratulations on the 100-10-1!

I remember when it came up a almost a year ago and I was proud to have completed 100 miles… in a month! These days I seem to be averaging this most weeks.

The problem now is that the gauntlet has now been raised again, and when I’m almost in a position to accept! In 2 weeks time I will be riding the 140 miles from Nottingham to London over the weekend. I was planning on splitting it in to an 80/60 mile ride. However, for the sake of some extra work on the Saturday, and a leisurly 40 miles on the Sunday, I could become a member of your elite club. Hmmm…

I’ll be doing it on a 29er though, so I don’t think the 100-10-1 is going to be possible, but the 100-14-1 might be :slight_smile:

STM

Damn this is tempting me even more to get a 36, 100 miles seems like an impossible distance to tackle, guess it’s going to take a lot of practice to get that good.

Well done Sam, sounds like you kept it in the spirit of the thing, no organisation, no support, and you only decided to do it at the last minute.

I dunno if I could do it on my own. The last time I did a really long ride (96 milesish), I was riding fast enough to do it, but I couldn’t be bothered to hurry that much, and sat around for an hour or so eating a nice lunch, and took my time over snack stops.

Hey Spence,

You could aim for 100-12.5-1, because that’s about the ratio of the wheel sizes. Although, just think if you did manage 100-10-1, unsupported, you’d be something like the 4th person in the world to do that, or at least within the first 10, which would be super cool as 3 out of the 4 would be living within 2 miles of each other. It must be possible, as it’s not that hard to ride at 11mph on a 29er, and John & I didn’t average much faster than that, you just have to not faff at all, and carry a days worth of food with you.

If you’re going to do 80 miles in a day, it isn’t much harder to do 100 miles, so you should go for it. Personally I’d rather split a 2 day ride into a very long plus a short day, because then you arrive at your destination more rested than if you do two long days. As an added bonus, you’d probably end the first day somewhere near Leicester, and you must know someone who lives round there and has a floor you can sleep on which would save organising a B+B.

Joe

Cunning, but I believe he’s going the other way;) So he’ll have hardly eaten his first soreen loaf by leicester

As Roland says, it’s the other way. I figure that if I head down the country from Nottingham to London then at least I’ll have gravity on my side :wink: Was probably looking for somewhere around Luton for a B&B, but might have to re-evaluate that if I’m adding the extra 20 miles on.

Although wouldn’t an 80-10-1 on a 29 be about equivalent to 100-10-1 on a 36?

STM

No, you need another 0.5555555… miles :stuck_out_tongue:

Jeez - you Brits are jumping on this thing - the 100-miler.

Firstly, you GO guys!:smiley:

Someday I’ll score one of these and enter it here, but my longest rides yet were only 20ish miles.

Sore taint (groin) is my main concern for all that distance. Did you feel it when peeing for the next couple days?

add me to the list

I’ve done three 100 mile rides in a day that I can think of. I’ve done the ms150 from Houston to Austin 6 out of the last 7 years. The first day is 100 miles. A few of them I didn’t make it the whole way the first day. Add me to the list, anyway. Later.

Aj

My searching for an elevation profile based on a road route is proving tricky. Does anyone know any good tools for going straight from GoogleMap road route to elevation profile?

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=509234. This running tool is one manual point-setting one I’ve found. I can’t find any cumulative height stats though.

Sam (not thread-jacking, honest)

I got a book about a guy who went across the US and back again (One Wheel, Many Spokes). It’s an Interesting book…

i havnt but i want to do the tour de france:p

That would be sooo cool! Imagine a Uni on the Tour De France, you wouldn’t have any chance of winning though…

Well, it’s about 7am here in Nottingham, dawn has just broken, the weather forcast is good, and I’ve got a hang over. I can’t think of any better way to try for the 100 miler!

I’m hoping to get on to the London Underground by early this evening, and will be taking a route past Plumsie and Eddbmxdude. If either of you see me, shout some words of encouragement! If anyone else sees me, please let me know that I’m very very lost!

I’ll post again tonight to let you know how I’ve got on, and if I qualify for a 100-10-1 t-shirt or not. But, in the mean time, wish me luck!

STM

Good luck!

Yeah good luck, let us know how you get on.

Well, I’m posting earlier than planned, due to… failure :frowning:

Things started off pretty good, and even my first dismount after 1h20m was a planned one. By then both the thick frost and heavy hangover had started to clear away. At the 20 mile mark I stopped for a 10 min break, and headed off again. Everything was fine until I got to Leicester.

For those of you that don’t know Leicester, it is one of those cities that doesn’t beleive in road signs, road names, or any other clues to tell you where you’re going! So after what seemed like going many miles out of my way (and suffering GPS failure at the same time!), I found where I was going and was back on route for Market Harborough.

That’s when I suddenly noticed the shooting pain in my right knee. I tried to carry on for a bit, but realised that doing all the pushing with my left leg wasn’t doing that knee much good and it didn’t seem to help the right one either. So, after about 40-45 miles (I’ll check the maps later for a more accurate distance), and nearly 5 hours, I decided to head back home. Defeated :frowning:

STM

Defeated for now, but you’ll be back.

Knee pain like that is one reason I don’t do Coker tours (the other reason being a dislike for extreme saddle soreness). If I’m not careful too much Coker riding will cause knee pain due to Iliotibial band syndrome. If that kicks in the ride is over along with riding for the next couple of weeks (or longer if it flares up badly). So I tend to avoid long rides that may cause ITBS knee pain.

I’ve ridden 107 km, does that count?

That was for the “around the bay in a day” bike ride. I rode it with Max Pfeifer in about 7 hours including breaks.

Ed

Nope, you’re about 33 miles short :slight_smile:

What if I said I did it blindfolded while juggling flaming chainsaws and balancing elephants on my forhead?

-shifty eyes-

Ohh… and do I get extra points if the only proper training ride that I did was 35 km that I rode a week before? Or is that just stupidity?

Ed