Re: Who are you guys?

I’m Klaas Bil, aged 48, located in the Netherlands. Married, two
daughters. I started unicycling in Sep 2000. My wife doesn’t ride
unicycles, but Jorga (13) and Minke (11) do. Nevertheless, most of my
riding is solitary, apart from the unicycling club where I learned and
that I now infrequently visit. I ride mostly in the neighbourhood
(parks, polders, dunes). Lately I’m leaning towards MUni but I have no
MUnicycle yet.

I’m working as a research physicist for Shell. My other hobbies (sic)
include:
(i) music. I play in a folk band (percussion, string base, vocals). I
want to get back into sequencing and composing (progressive) if only I
can find the time.
(ii) camping, preferably on as wild ground as possible but the wife is
a bit more civilised.
(iii) pointless data collection and analysis.

More on http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“SWAT, Richard Reid, CCSC”

Hi all,

This is very interesting, thanks all for the courage of your posts. We’ve been enjoying getting to know you all through this. Here’s our input:

We’re the Edwards Family, Bruce (41), Mary (42), Ben (12) and Brad (9). Here’s our much-in-need-of-updating family webpage: http://www.geocities.com/yoopers98 Then we have Abby and Riley, both with beautiful deep brown eyes, golden hair, and cold wet noses…our Golden Retrievers. We live in northern Illinois in the small farm town of Rochelle where we’ve been for the last 12 years. Mary and I call Rochelle our home since we’ve settled in and are ingrained in our church, community and the boy’s activities. But Mary and I consider the Upper Peninsula of Michigan our real home where we both lived at age two and her father was my Pastor. Someday, we’d like to relocate back “up nort’ in da U.P.” but by that time will probably be old and gray (grayer actually) and not as fond of the snow and cold.

I’m a Project Engineer with a precast/prestressed concrete company in our hometown and Mary teaches in the Special Ed. class at the Jr. High. We love to camp (travel trailer style) and I am also a sideline musician on guitar and vocals in our church’s band. Hey Klaas, we’ll have to sing around the campfire sometime.

Our unicycling experience started at Christmas 2000 when we purchased unicycles with the intent of helping the boys learn body balance and develop leg strength for soccer. Ben and Brad play club soccer with a traveling club in a nearby town. At the time, we had absolutely no idea that you all existed. What an eye opener! For my 40th birthday in Jan. 2001, I thought the boys looked like they were having so much fun that I bought one for myself. We got to know John and Amy and ended up sponsoring hometown visits and performances by Dustin Kelm and Bruce Crevier. Then last July, we started up our unicycle club, The Unicycle Uni-versity. We wondered if the infatuation would wear thin after awhile but it ended up growing into a great love of the sport. We look forward with anticipation to each Monday night’s club meeting and are thinking of trying to go to two nights a week in the fall. We are now regularly experiencing 30-35 people at our meetings. It can be quite the madhouse in our small gym. Our club just returned from the Regional meet in Minneapolis hosted by the Twin Cities Unicycle Club and had an absolutely wonderful time. Thanks Andy and Connie and the gang! Mary and I and the boys are heading to Seattle for both NAUCC and UNICON this summer, our first, so we’ll see you there. We’re looking forward to putting faces with names and strengthening our connection into the unicycling community. Thanks for all your support and information over the past year and a half.

All the best,
Bruce & Mary and the boys

RE: Who are you guys?

> years Eurocycle Julien Monney did a master class and it was totally
> inspirational… but the way he described some tricks! “move
> your balance from the rear of the axel to the front of it and
> counteract with your left arm…”

There is no language for the stuff that Julien does. He just has to do the
best he can to explain it to us. He’s amazing.

> Oh, thanks John for your nice words. :slight_smile:

Just trying to give out that accurate advice. You’re the best, always
offering information on what people can do, and what’s available in the UK.
I still feel guilty about the lack of use my Mk 5 carbon MUni gets. But it
did come in second at the MUni race in '99 at Snoqualmie Pass. Perhaps it
will be used again this year…

JF

If you do come to the uk definitely tie up with the UK crowd, even come
along to see us during our 24hours MTB race. We are going it on the 22
June.

Roger

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
From: “GizmoDuck” <GizmoDuck.4qdcb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 6:21 AM
Subject: Re: Who are you guys?

>
> Hi, I’m Ken Looi and I’m a 23yr old MUnicyclist from Wellington, New
> Zealand.
>
> I come from a mountainbiking background so the first thing after I
> learnt how to unicycle was to take it off road. Surprise, surprise,
> MUnicycling had already been invented. So I ordered myself a Pashley
> MUni which has been hammered to death since but is still holding up very
> well. If you or anyone is ever out this side of the world please feel
> free to drop in and I’ll show you around.
>
> I’ve raced all the local MTB races on a MUni, and I’m hoping to do a
> 24hr MTB race later this year on a unicycle. I’m heading to Kathmandu
> (this Sunday) for some unicycling and then onto UK and Iceland.
>
> Other than I’m in my final year of medschool and should graduate at the
> end of the year (I hope!)
>
>
> –
> GizmoDuck
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> GizmoDuck’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/18135
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

My name is Michael Grant. I’ve been riding for many years. Depending on
when you ask me I might say as many as 25yrs or as few as 15. I built my
first unicycle as a kid from the front forks of a childrens tricycle. I
remember my parents telling me it was a phase and it would pass. Well,
years later, I still ride. Only now I have a “collection” of 10 unicycles
that is growing.

I have a wife who is patient with my strange hobby. In fact, she’s
practicing and may be riding unassisted by UNICON. I have three children
ages 5, 4, and 2. The older two have their own unicycles but haven’t yet
mastered riding.

If you are interested in viewing pictures of my unicycles you can see them
at http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant

Oh, also if anyone is interested I’m thinking of selling the 3-wheeler. I
wonder if there is much interest?

-mg

That’s a very impressive garage door!

Dear Roger and Arnold the Aardvark,

Bummer, I’m not getting to London till the 23-29 June, after spending a month studying/working at a Kathmandu hospital. After that heading to a Glasgow for 4weeks. I was thinking of going over on a weekend to check out Ben Nevis. I remember seeing a thread on it not long ago. (Might hunt for it now). If anyone cares to join me for a ride or show me around in Glasgow/London that would be great :slight_smile:

Good luck for the 24hr!

Ken

I was one of the guys giving you suggestions for a muni.

I’m just a muni rider and a bit of a gear head hanging out in Bellevue Washington. I’m an independent with no affiliation with any of the unicycle companies. I don’t even belong to a unicycle club.

I learned how to ride way back when I was in the 7th grade. I never learned any real unicycle skills while I was young. I just rode around the neighborhood and considered that to be all there was to unicycling. I didn’t ride much during high school and college so the unicycles sat in the closet. Then in '97 I was lurking in this newsgroup and I found out that Pashley was selling a mountain unicycle. I bought one and have been hooked on unicycling again ever since.

I went to the California Muni Weekend in '99 and that was my first unicycling event. I’ve been going to the muni weekends every year since. I’ve also been to a couple of the national conventions just to have fun and meet other unicyclists.

My big thing is muni. It’s fun riding the trails. My best skill is buying new toys from Unicycle Source. Maybe one of these days I’ll have some actual unicycling skills if I ever start practicing.

john_childs

hi, my name is dave and i’m a unicyclist
i’m a 34 year old radio presenter living in johannesburg, south africa
i’m heading to the uk in 21 days time
the amount of packing i still need to do is cutting into my uni-time at the moment

i learnt how to juggle using the ‘juggling for the complete klutz’ book
shortly after that i joined the ‘balls up’ juggling club in jhb
i saw the uni’s around and thought them to be quite impressive and totally impossible
my first attemp saw a remarkably non-gracefull dismount with the machine out front and me flat on my (sprained) coccyx
i kinda packed it in as a bad idea and started working on five balls instead
i did however cultivate the rather annoying habit of walking into every cycle shop i could find asking if they stocked unicycles
(i must mention that these machines r very rare in south africa)
this disturbed the majority of cycle shop owners as their worldview was based on bicycles having TWO wheels (yeah, i know, dont get semantic on me, u know what i mean)

one day, one said ‘yes’ and here i am

i now own a 20" no-name brand and an equally no-name brand 24"
i managed to inspire two members of the juggling club to dust off their uni’s and GUS was born (Gauteng Unicycling Society - gauteng is the name of the province we live in - it means ‘place of gold’)
we do quite a bit of freestyle stuff in the gym during juggling club meetings
we also get around to doing some off-roady kinda stuff, but lacking the machines, nothing tooo intense

i’ve never had the opportunity to test for any of the skills levels
we have been messing about with them and would prob qualify level 2 pretty easily and we have a range of 3-5 skills between us

Hi all,

This thread has been fascinating and prompted my first post. I’ve been lurking awhile, so have learned a bit about some of you, enjoying and learning from all your discussions.

I’m Jerry Perkinson from Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. I’m 54 and have been unicycling since 45 when I told my family I wanted a unicycle for my birthday. I announced that “everyone” should continue learning throughout their lives and that significant birthday milestones were appropriate occasions to take up something new. Which subsequently lead to my learning snowboarding at 50. Now that I’m approaching 55, though, I need the next thing to learn! The family’s asking what it’ll be, but so far I haven’t committed (maybe I should be committed).

After learning to unicycle, I rode for 2-3 years, then it kind of slipped aside as I spent more time riding my two wheeled toys (I know, I know, that may be heretical in this group, but they’re great fun too). Last winter, I rediscovered unicycling, and with credit to this forum, my interest got sparked way high again. So, I ordered a new Sem XL 26" with airseat, kovachi wheel, aluminum cranks, and Odyssey pedals from Unicycle.com (great folks to deal with, as you all know!). After my noname starter 24" uni, this Sem’s fantastic!! As others have said, very smooth.

Now I’m working on learning to idle, and I hope to progress to hopping and maybe one foot riding/idling. Yesterday I managed a few occasions of maybe a half dozen back-and-forth “idles” (they weren’t necessarily pretty, but I stayed on), so I seem to be slowly starting to get it.

I’ve never seen anyone else unicycling around Cincinnati, and I’m convinced the neighborhood thinks I’m loony. But hey, life is to be lived, right?

Family-wise, I’m married to Nancy. Two children: Scott (19) in pre-med at the Univ. of Minnesota, and Lisa (21) at Stewart Home School in Frankfort, KY (a special-ed residency school). No one else in the family uni’s, but my wife and son both ride bike trips with me (most recently Bike Florida in March).

Thanks to all who’ve posted such useful info over the past few months. I’ve learned quite a bit from you. :smiley:

Jerry

I highly recommend scuba, or dinghy sailing, if you are comfortable in the water. Scuba is a unique new world. Dinghy sailing is quite similar to unicycling in that it is personal and requires a lot of balance and attention, and it is a real connection with ancient times. Both can be done by young and old, so you may have company from someone in the family. Neither is really that expensive, and used gear can be of very good quality and is plentiful.

What a perfect opportunity for fictionalization.

My name is Greg Harper, the frequent faller. I am 49 years old and first rode when I was about eleven. I rode every year, freemounting and riding forward and even off of curbs. I recently (in the last four years) got my first new unicycle in 30 years or so and began riding more regularly, or about 200 miles a year on a 24" Taiwanese with an auto-castrate seat.

Last September, after discovering the unicycle.com website and finding out that there was an enormous supply of incredibly cool unicycles available, I bought a Coker and so for the first time in my life owned more than one unicycle. I now own seven unicycles, one of which is the uni.5, a geared unicycle which is touring the country without me. I also began commuting 5 miles to and from work each way, first on the Coker and then on the uni.5 until I shipped it out. I now unicycle to work on any day that I think will be rain free.

At about that same time, I discovered on the web that there were a few other things people did on unicycles besides freemounting and riding forward and even off of curbs. I began my quest to attain skill level 5 before my 50th birthday in August. I made it quickly to level 4 but the evil god of wheel walking is laughing in my face as I reach out for the too distant level five.

My wheel family now consists of:

Torker 20"
Jugglebug 20" (VERY cool blue with a bell)
Semcycle 6 foot giraffe
Zephyr 24"
Steve Howard MUni (WAY, WAY cool)
Coker 36"
uni.5

Most of them you can see on my website:

On the personal side, I have been married to Karen for 29 years. We have two adults (no longer children) Sarah, 25, and Zach, 21. The only other family member who has tried unicycling (other than both Sarah and Zach riding on my shoulders as pee-wees while their mother wept with joy) is Zach who tried for a couple of days when he was twelve. He remains about three hours of practice from being able to ride and, for some bizarre reason, thinks he has more important or interesting things to do. The family member who enjoys unicycling the most is Buster (the disguster) our half sharpei, half golden retriever who loves to run alongside, and occasionally in front of, a wheel. The twelve year old cat, Claire, is not quite so co-operative or enthused.

I have worked at the University of Washington in Seattle for 23 years, the last 16 of which were spent as a research engineer at the Nuclear Physics Laboratory. There have been four other people at the lab who ride or have ridden in the past. One of them learned partly under my tutelage. She broke her wrist during the process while my words, “you won’t get hurt learning to ride a unicycle”, rang sourly in her ears.

Welcome to the newsgroup. You will find much information and entertainment here even though it is peopled with a viscious and vindictive lot. They hold themselves in check, usually, with brief and silly forays into the ridiculous. I steer completely clear of those shenanigans, however.

Greg,

You’re in Seattle…I take it you don’t uni to work much.

Bruce

:slight_smile: Hi,
My name is Rod Wylie. I go by teachndad and The Munieer. I am 40 years old and I have been riding for nearly 1 year. I first rode(sort of) my first unicycle at age 9 when a friend of mine had a friend who brought rode over on a Schwinn Uni. We dabbled on my friends driveway for about an hour and I actually made it down about 8 feet. Then 31 years later, I saw a unicycle in the JC Penney catalogue for 35 bucks and bought it on a whim. It was red, similar to a 16” juggle bug. I was way to big for it, but learned to ride in my master bedroom while watching TV for the first month and a half. I just leaned on the bed frame (sleigh bed) and tried for the doorway.

I found unicycle.com and bought a 20” United and got going on basic skills. It was that uni that I rode my first straight line down the side walk with.  I found muniac.com on a web search and was intrigued and bought a Sem XLW and I was hooked.  I am currently having a custom frame made and am also down with an ankle injury that has no healing date.:( 

I am in love with the sport(Muni) and sometimes wonder if I am obsessed with it.  I read the newsgroup and Muniac.com's bulletin board late at night quite often.  However, I don’t get to ride much as my family comes first.  I have three young boys, ages 8, 4, and 2.  They take all my time right now and there’s also my marriage to cultivate as well. There’s very little time to get out and ride these days.  I usually squeeze in 45 minutes a week at my Muni playground, 5 minutes from my house, that is a short technical single track to build skills. To this date, I have only ridden once with another Muni rider, mainly due to time constraints. That was Scot Cooper.

When I am not parenting, I am teaching 32 fourth graders at a school nearby.

I hope that at least one of my boys will want to ride.  My 4 year old, Karl shows the greatest interest.

I finish most of my posts with “Work the maze” which comes from a quote from Scott Bridgman. Learning is like a maze where you have to constantly find the way that gets you through with trial and error, basically.

Work the maze.

My name is Matt and have recently rediscovered unicycling after about a 11 year lapse.

As a kid my brother came home with a schwinn 20" out of the blue and learned to ride it. He eventually grew tired of it and the uni sat in our garage. When I was 13 I dug it out one day and eventually learned to ride it. It had the most awful rubber seat, thank God for viscounts!

Looking for good outdoor exercise I somehow thought of unicycling again (not sure how) and went out and got a schwinn 24". I was very happy when I got right on it and rode away, but I was not so lucky in retaining my freemounting abilities.

That was about two months ago and I’ve since become good enough to handle all the obstacles that are on campus while riding from class to class. I’m starting to gain a bit of a rep as “that unicycle guy” :slight_smile:

I am really loving unicycling; I’m very glad I took it up again. I already have urges to get another uni, but there’s still a lot my 24" can teach me. Muni-ing, in particular, looks like a lot of fun. I’m hoping to find some good trails around here for the future.

well im Neill Kolterman, i learned to ride a few years ago, didnt really do much with it, so i sat out side upnder the porch, for a year or two, then i was at the local Norco dealer, when i saw a video of Kris Holm, riding the Shore, so i went home and tried Marcels trail. I coulnt ride a bit of it, so I came home, and just tried jumping off the deck which at the tjme was about 20" to 22" and after awhile of doin that I could do it, then i tried jumping up onto the deck, around teh other side were thers 1 stair, so i hopped up onto that and would fall,. Eventually I could jump up onto teh deck with the stair, then with the no stair. Lately Ive started to ride rails, and i can now and you can see it in the Unicyclist photo Galleries. The last cool thing i did was hoppin onta a park bench then up onto the back, were you back rests agains, and then up onto teh bcak and off. Anyways all i got to say for now.

Im always lookin for people who ride the same sorta stuff as I, to get tips and ideas for new things,also lookin for people who make structures on trails for their MUni, like ramps, and drops, and ballance beams, teetertotters, becuase i build my trails by myself, and wnen you build by your self you sorta get stuck in a rut, in that i sorta build the same sorta thing over and over agian, i need some new ideas for my trail. but it needs ot be ridable fro a Uni.

Anyways all i got to say for now.

I’m David Maxfield, 47 years old, and live in the upper left-hand corner of the
US on Bainbridge Island. I learned unicycling on a Troxel tricycle style uni
when in the 6th grade. It broke as soon as it looked as if I’d win its sadistic
test of wills. My dad took it to a bike shop to be repaired–and came back with
a Columbia, which I rode until it broke three years later.

Then I took a 30 year break from riding.

I started again about 3 years ago. I do both road and off-road riding. I’m not
especially good at either, but persistent.

I’m helping to coach about 30 kids in North Bend to ride this summer at the
competitions.

David Maxfield

I’m Scott Kurland, 34, live in Austin, attend juggling club weekly, got a
Coker to help with knee rehab (tore my right knee in half 10/14/1 4:00
pm)… still can’t freemount or ride more than half a block or so.

Miscellaneous details include girlfriend and trio of Siberian Huskies and so
forth.

my name is jessica, and i’m mainly a lurker on this board. i don’t give advice because i don’t know anything about unicycling, except that i like to do it. i ride for leisure or recreation and short distance transportation. i’m 15 and have been riding since march of this year. right now im learning to juggle, but all i can do currently is the standard 3 ball cascade. ermmm, if you wanna know more about me check out my webpage (and sign the guestbook pleeeeease)

Jess

Great thread! It’s fun to read how diverse we all are and how unicycling has become the magnet for us all.

I’m Jason Preston and I currently live in Anchorage Alaska. My wife, 2 week baby boy and I are moving to Seattle later this year. I learned to ride last may on an old unicycle from George Peck, the great old unicycler from Seward Alaska. I ride with 3 other crazed uni riders here in Anchorage. We ride 1-2 times per week together. We ride somewhere between level 2 skills and level 5 skills. We have a number of videos we would love to share. Can someone email on how to post them on this page?

Jason

PS-I’m writing this with my little boy haning on me in his snuggly and his mom taking a nap. I’m very tempted to take him for his first uni ride.

PSS-All 4 of us are planning on coming down to North Bend for the uni festival in July. See you there!