When Did You Start?

About a year and a half ago, aged 36.

And I’m still crap.

I got my first one for christmas in 1971 at the age of twelve. I bought a schwinn 24" that summer and started doing my paper route with it. I then started picking up the neighborhood kids and gave them rides on my shoulders. Talk about a moms freakin out! Ha! I even went to the circus and bought an 8’ uni. I used to lean it against the gutter on the garage and then climbed a ladder and got on the roof to get on it. After a couple years of semi regular riding I put it away and took it out once or twice a year. About six months ago I saw some unicyclist on youtube and was shocked. You young guys are sooooo talented. I then broke out the old schwinn and got back at it. In the last 6 months I bought a 26" torker, a 20" sun, and a 36" nimbus. I am 48 now and am hooked for life! This is great exercise and there is so much diversity as to what you can do on them.

like when i was 10

Daaaam some of you guys have been at it for a while. I’ve been unicycling for about 5 months but had to take a month off due to a concussion.

Last feb I first ever tried one. I didn’t know how I would ever learn, but I did. Now 9months later I am sif’in up 20" ledges with no prehop and doing the occasional 180 if a picnic table top.

OUCHIES!!! :astonished:

I’ve been riding for sometime now. I’ve had 4-6 unicycles since then. :smiley:

summer 2003 i got a torker cx 20" i rode to school and just around for a while. I was kidding when i asked for it for my bday but i got the bug. I sold that and upgraded to the 24". I still have the 24" but it now has a bent rim as I started actually getting into serous riding this summer. I mostly ride Muni on my dx 24" and have gotten so many other people hooked.

I bought my first uni 2 years ago (not sure why, just something different to do), tried for a bit but lost interest (didn’t know this site existed, didn’t know about MUni or any of the really cool stuff going on here). 6 months ago I found this site and thought I would give it another go, it stuck and I got totally hooked!

I started when I was (and still am) 17 years old.

I started because I am into juggling, and every time I went to youtube to watch juggling videos, I always seemed to some how find some unicycling videos, and I watched them. :stuck_out_tongue: Also most of the juggling shops on the internet have some cheep unicycles for sale, so that also sparked my interest. So I got one, and have been riding ever since. :slight_smile:

learnt to ride last year at school (circus skills workshop, the uni was the only thing that was appealing to me)
got first uni this april, now have a second…

i started last christmas when i got my first learner uni and i have been at it ever since. im celebrating one year of riding by getting a nimbus trials uni this christmas :slight_smile:

I was 17 at uni (haha). An engineer friend had a home made one, which he lent me. I used to it get around campus for the better part of a year before giving it back.

I hardly rode a unicycle at all for a gap of nearly 25 years, but I was a keen road bicyclist / commuter for all of that time. October last year saw me unemployed for a while. Having heaps of time on my hands, I thought to myself, “Hmmm. What to do… - I know!- ride a unicycle again!” - so I ordered a nasty 24" Chinese machine from ebay. Then I sniffed around the net, wondering what had happened to unicycling in 25 years, and wow, A whole lot had happened! 25 years ago, we thought we were pretty cool jumping gutters and riding down a couple of steps. Things had been taken to another level! - So with renewed enthusiam, I started riding, and bent the nasty cheap uni pretty bad after 2 weeks from doing drops. Since then, I have managed to acquire a Nimbus 24" Muni, a Nimbus X24 (sexy all black with hookworm) and the current love of my life, the KH29 (with 2.55 Weirwolf and sealed JimiC Mags) which I commute on daily. If I don’t ride at all for more than 1 day, I get withdrawal symptoms!

I started when I was 50. I chose unicycling for my middle-age crisis because it was cheaper than a hand-made Italian sports car.

i tought myself how to ride in the fall of 2005. (wow two years already!) i have never gone more than 4 weeks w/o riding since the day i bought my uni. I also have givven up almost everything else i did before uni’ing besides swimming (video games, soccer, reading a lot)

Yeah go swimming. It’s the only sport I do right now besides Uniing