wheel size for first muni?

I’m thinking about getting my first muni. Been riding an SS 29er MTB
for the last couple years, so i have an appreciation for the benefits
of a larger wheel in that context. However, i have no idea if that
sort of thing translates to a muni. Seems like most of the munis are
24", but i also see some 26" and 29". (My street unicycle is a 24".)

Any suggestions as to what wheelsize i should consider for my first
muni? BTW, i’m about 6’2", and 230 lbs (will be back down to 220 lbs
by the time i actually get the muni). Live in Austin, TX, so the
trails are kinda’ rocky. Willing to spend a little extra if needed to
get the required sturdiness.

thanks in advance,
Eric

It all really depends on the technicality of the trails you will be riding on. a 24inch can handle any trail you throw at it but you might feel the bumps a bit more than on a 26 or 29 inch. the 26 can handle moderate trails and the 29 is more for cross country munish trails

my 2 cents

24 or 26 are very good to start on, and are nice to continue on for downhill or technical XC riding. 29ers are good for smoother tracks and a little more experienced riders, plus they steamroll over alot of things. Basically, the way they are on a MTB translates pretty well to MUni. I like the 24 but you may like the 26 because of your size. A 26x3" tire is nearly a 29" tire anyways!

i just got my 26" a couple weeks ago and i love it. i’m only 5’11" 157lbs so its a little tougher to control but i got it to double as a commuter as well. if you want a hardcore muni i’d go with a 24" and if you want a little more speed and roll over capabilities go with the 26". i’m glad i got a 26" personally. after i get used to riding some technical trials (i have to drive a ways to get to some so i don’t ride them too often) i’m sure it will feel really natural to me. so if you were me i’d go with a 26". but it’s all about personal opinion. if you can i would definitely test both sizes first. good luck!

A 24" is stronger, easier to control on descents than a larger wheel would be. I like the 29", but it pinch flats easily by comparison. How rocky is the terrain?

Most MUni riders use 24" wheels; at big events, at least 80% of the riders are on 24" wheels. 29" is fun for less technical terrain, but if your trails are rocky, you’ll be better off with a 24".

26" is basically similar to a 24" in terms of appropriate terrain; there are more options for 24" cycles, and not a whole lot of advantage to the 26".

Re: wheel size for first muni?

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:34:22 -0500, tholub wrote:

> Most MUni riders use 24" wheels; at big events, at least 80% of the
> riders are on 24" wheels. 29" is fun for less technical terrain, but if
> your trails are rocky, you’ll be better off with a 24".
>
> 26" is basically similar to a 24" in terms of appropriate terrain; there
> are more options for 24" cycles, and not a whole lot of advantage to the
> 26".

Many consider Austin trails very rough. In fact, i ride a Kris Holm
rim on my 29er for just that reason. At my weight, though, sounds like
i should probably rule out a 29er muni, and go with a 24" or 26". I
reckon it’ll come down to how much extra i’d need to spend to get a
26" that can stand up to my weight as well as a 24" could.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, guys.

/Eric

The trails in Chico are tough, too–lots of rock gardens, lava cap, sharp-edged step-downs, etc. I have both a KH24 and KH29, and ride the 29er more often than the 24 these days. I’m 6’2" and probably 205-210 (don’t weigh myself often). I wouldn’t rule it out. The biggest difference is climbing and descending; both are somewhat harder on the 29er. If you’re doing lots of big ups and downs, the 24 is preferable (for me anyhow), but if it’s more rolling, the 29er might be a good option.

The 26" Nimbus Muni is strong and pretty inexpensive. The stock cranks aren’t very strong though, if you are going to do drops on it, so you may want to upgrade them.

A lot of people love the KH Moment cranks (the upgrade), but they don’t have enough Q-factor IMO. Luckily there are many other options for ISIS cranks.

Most use 150 mm cranks. Longer ones will make the terrain easier, give more tourque for rolling over stuff, be slower on flat easy sections, and increase the likely hood of pedal strikes.

if you’re okay with the price just buy the stock kh 24. It’s a very nicely thought out unicycle, and a great muni to start on. There isn’t a massive benefit for beginners in 26. A 29 for a beginner will suck, as the tyres aren’t any good for technical muni, you can’t hit the harder trails without a lot of skill, which you need to develop on the smaller wheel.

Once you get good, you might decide you want a 26 or 29, but i wouldn’t worry about it for now.

Joe