Wheel building spokes' pattern

I need help. I’m going to build a 32 spokes wheel in a 2 cross lacing THAN I’m going to move 2 spokes at a time and swap all to a 3 cross pattern! I cannot understand how to start the 2 cross lacing step to achieve the 3 cross pattern with valve in the right position… even if I imagine to move back in time I cannot figure what is the starting position of spokes… can anyone help me with this weird question?

I don’t think I really understand what you are trying to do, but maybe this video from Ali Clarkson will help where he is doing quite a few wheel builds with various patterns. You might be able to figure out what you need from looking at his builds. You may well have seen this before though.

3 Likes

Why not just start with the 3 cross?

Here is a video, Lacing a Rear 32 Spoke Wheel, 3 Cross

Why lace it in 2 cross first then?

And don’t forget that the spoke length for 2 cross and 3 cross is different.

My spokes will alongate 6mm when tightened. So I start with a 2 cross, than I swap to 3 cross. I use black spokes and a couple of white ones at the valve… that is why I’m going crazy about it🤗

You should be able to put the white spokes in the correct spot at the hub for 3 cross from the start, one can stay next to the valve on the rim, the other just lace wherever it lands in a 2 cross.

Although I would probably try and figure out a different solution to the elongation issue, I would expect that by applying torque at the hub you should be able to lace all spokes into a 3 cross directly. That way you only have 8 spokes where you need to stretch the spoke while getting them to their nipple, instead of doing that for at least 16 with your swapping idea.

You are right!