What's the biggest injury that you incured unicycling (sorry ;)?

I was riding a bit of trials on a real rocky beach in Reid State Park, Maine. It was low tide, and so some of the rocks I was hopping on had that weird salt water moss/algea/barnicle stuff on them. I hoped onto a nice rock, but my wheel slipped and got stuck in a crevice as I tumbled backwards. The injury came when I landed flat on a rock on the base of my spine. The INSULT to injury came when my body began to tumble over the rock, submerging my head in a tide water pool full of assorted slimey amphibious bug larvae.

I was wet, I was cold, I had mosquito larvae lodged in my sinus and burrowing into my frontal lobe, I had a goose egg from hitting my head on a rock, and I could scarsely move for three days because I landed on my spine first!

But I have it on my uni dvd, so it is TOTALLY worth it to see people cringe when I show it to them!

Wow, that’s a rough one…I live by the ocean, so I know of the green slimy stuff you speak of!

Fractured patella

My wife was learning to unicycle last week and she had a pretty nasty fall. For some reason her foot stayed stuck to the pedal and the force of her body and the floor meeting was dissipated by her patella cracking. We’re both trying to learn still, but she has evidently been set back a bit.

Here’s a picture of her knee post surgery:
Edit: I decided to just link to the picture so that no one is grossed out.

my mom wants me to have an xray. she thinks i may have broke or cracked a rib. it hurts a lot but i dont want any xray. i fell really hard the other day on my again. no dancing or hard uniing for a few days.

Dude, it’s an X-Ray. They don’t hurt. Get one and post a pic of it up here. :smiley:

Man, that sucks! No dancing?!?! no uni-ing I could do, but no dancing?

Bummer.

T.

Actually, to tell you the truth I actually haven’t experienced a real bad injury. But I was riding my unicycle seat in front and I fell on my butt and the wind got knocked out of me. It is scary, It’s like I’m never going to be able to breathe again. :astonished:

My worst injury was from Natural Trials in New PLymouth, New Zealand

I broke my 3rd and 4th Metacarpels in my Left Hand (im left handed) and that required surgery, so i now have 5 titanium pins in my hand, i also smashed my chin on the rocks infront of me in the same crash which resulted in having concussion for 3 weeks, (i initially thought i had broken my jaw) and then after the three weeks i was diagnosed with post concussion for another 3 weeks, post concussion SUCKS, i felt dizzy all day, i couldnt focus or concentrate on anything, felt like spewing 24/7. and the worst part of all of this is that i wazs off my uni for probably 3 months after the crash, i had the crash a week before the Auckland MUNi weekend so decided to ride in it anyway and went offroad with a freshly broken hand (this was before surgery), I was in surgery for 1 and a half hours with general anathestic and had 3 hours in recovery where they gave me 12 shots of morfien (your mneant to have a max of 6:p ) also i had to wait a week for my surgery as a public hospital and in that week was not allowed to eat or drink from 2am till whenver my surgery was cancelled, between 4pm and 9pm usually so precided to loose 4kg very quickly, i woudlnt recomend it as a diet.

So thats my story of my broken hand. And it was about 6 months before i got back on the rocks at New PLymouth, and am now fully back into trials and MUNi and freestyle riding, the doctor said to me that i should never ride my unicycle again. i politly decided this information should go in one ear and out the other lol:D

Dan

umm i broke both my ankles/leg at defrent times (a weak apart) for the one i got 10 screws and a plate

got to hear the story behind that
Dan

The first one was when i was muning in a down hill moution bike comp and took like a 2 ft fall off the trail. the second was just messing around doing trials and i shatered my joint and broke my tebia and fibea

the only real bad injuries ive had were when i was first learning. I had bear trap like pedals when learning and kept slaming them into my shins, giving me many scars. but the worst so far has been when i fell backwards off my uni when learning, i slammed my heel real hard into the ground and then the back of my lower leg. It felt like i had broken something, but felt a little better after a few days. Other than that its mostly jst clumsly falls and hurting my ! when doing stairs or geting caught up in my unicycle…

Wish I couldn’t contribute to this thread

Well I was hoping to never have anything worth mentioning to go in this thread, but it looks like last Saturday ruined that. While attempting a small drop in the middle of a downhill section of trail, I bounced off the uni and managed to flip into the ditch at the bottom of the hill. There was a bridge over the ditch and my hand must have tangled up with it somehow. Anyway, ended up with a fractured wrist bone (scaphoid - I think) and stitches at the base of my pinky. I find out tomorrow whether I will be getting a cast or not. This puts a damper on my NAUCC trip, but am still planning on going and still planning to have a great time.

Surprisingly, I have not had any pain with the finger or palm - only the wrist.

The bruising is much more pronounced than the picture indicates.

Anyway, I am hoping that this is my last contribution to this thread.

If it only took a month to heal, it was a bruise. A broken rib can bother you for six months, easily.

I haven’t done anything too bad. Sprained wrists, sprained ankles, sprained knees, bruised elbows, lots of scrapes. But nothing that’s stopped me from riding more than a few days.

Sorry to hear that Hugh. My fist and only serious accident was a month ago when I broke my back Muni’ing. I’m also going to NAUCC and maybe we can be the injuried reserves cheering people on! Hope it’s a fast and quick recovery cause it sucks not being able to ride.

I cut my finger on a sharp bit of metal on the bottom of my uni

got tangled up in my uw soon after I got it and fell on my rists.

ohhh, have done that too

Thanks. I was sorry to hear about your injury as well. I saw the video of the fall and it just doesn’t seem like it should have caused that significant of an injury. Nonetheless, it did and that sucks! We’ll definately cheer everyone else on and hopefully I can get my wife riding on her own. She is soooo close.

Sprained my ankle bad off a grind rail. Had to stay off it for 4 months