What's Happening Today

Nice! I think powdercoating looks better than anodizing to be honest.

Last night, my daughter had three friends around. Since I pulled up to our place on a unicycle as they arrived, they later asked if they could try. We do have 16" that my daughter is learning on. She is actually relatively close now to getting it. She can cycle with only minimal assistance (one of her fingers holding one of mine) and has managed a few rotations with her back to the wall cycling towards me with no assistance. I think confidence is one of the main things holding her back at the moment.

Anyway, she went first to demonstrate and the other kids were somewhat impressed, but one of them (the only boy) felt fairly confident that he would be able to do that or better. So I let them all have a turn. Afterwards, I think they had new found respect for her, which was satisfying for both her and myself.

The only downside is that at some point they asked me to show them and this being a small uni, set down to their height, so it was very low for me. I cycled about 10 metres and then fell off very awkwardly, so now I have a nice graze on the top of one foot and good bruise on the back of my other leg. It turns out that little, slow unicycles are more dangerous than big ones! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just wondering, how old is she?

Well I don’t usually talk publicly about my children and only in limited terms, to retain as much privacy for them as possible for them into the future. For example we have only put out one picture of her on a public website in her entire life, back when she was a baby and thus largely indistinguishable from other babies.

Even with this post I actually hesitated and tried wording it to avoid giving away her gender but it was tough to tell the story in a way that sounded natural. So I hope you will understand that I do not want to list her exact age. Thus I’ll just give you an age range to get an idea. She is not a teen but she isn’t a toddler either. The size of the wheel is probably also a clue. :wink:

P.S. To be clear, I feel that everyone needs to judge this stuff for themselves but this is what my wife and I have chosen to try. I am certainly not intentionally judging anyone else who does things differently because I realise that we might be overdoing it. Plus I appreciate the very strong motivation to share and talk about our children. I am after all doing it now, despite my reservations. :slight_smile:

Do you even need to change the seat height once you’ve found the right height? I don’t think I’ve changed the height on mine in the last few years. Then again, Im no die-hard muni-rider. The only seat I want lower is the one on the 32", but I need to saw half a cm off the pin. Once I lowered the seat too much and I couldn’t figure out why the wheel stopped spinning. It was just stuck. So silly.

You showed them on a 16"? Yes that’s tough and almost impossible to ride! I tried one and it was miserable, even a 20" with a low seat is not graceful…
Depends on how small is your child (I could say daughter I guess), if she fits on a 20", she might find it way easier than the small wheel. I’ve seen eager parents give a 12" to their kids and get frustrated that they couldn’t ride it, but such a thing is just unridable.

I wrote this as well in my original post as well but snipped it out of my last reply to avoid you having to read a wall of text. :slight_smile:

Here is the relevant part

To expand. I have Nimbus VCX+ 3-holed cranks (100/125/150). On clean tarmac I would use 100mm. If there is a small build up of snow I switch to 125 to give me more traction and control. For lots of snow, 150mm. At which point I am also more likely to switch to a fatter, ‘floatier’ tyre. Obviously if I adjust my crank length, I need to adjust my seat height accordingly.

16 is a good size for her. Yes it is annoyingly small for most adults but I can ride it. I guess my biggest issue was that I did not bother to adjust the seat height for myself (I just left it on what I had set for them). Plus the fact that it has probably been 9 months or more since I last tried to ride this 16" and it feels very different from the 24", 26" and 36" unis that I normally ride.

Here is UniMyra on a 36", 29" (another 29"), 26", 24" (another 24"), 20", 16" and 12". He looks surprisingly comfortable on a 12", so a 16" is clearly easy! :stuck_out_tongue:

I will read back in the thread more next time, before coming with questions after they’ve been answered :sunglasses:

I tried a 12 inch at the festival last year. My daughter could more easily ride it, though holding the wall, as she can’t uni, but for me it was impossible. UniMyra does have a high seat, where mine had it low enough for my daughter to sit on. Another guy from a circus did manage to ride it with the seat so low. Im too stiff to fold like that.
I prefer bigger wheels :slight_smile:

That’s a fun video. It’s interesting to see how he uses his arms for balance more and more as the wheel shrinks. Once he’s on the 12", he’s flapping like a bird taking off!

Love the video. Gotta pedal crazy fast on the 12"!

All week I wanted to just ride the 29er in the forest this weekend, but as usual I always carpe diem change my mind at thè last moment. So today I ended up with 20km on the hatchet. Last time I already changed the seat to a gel one but still I notice I only sat half on the seat while riding. It wasnt comfy but then a creaky sound popped up and got worse. Eventually I figured out that the frame wasnt attached nicely at the hub. After some adjustment it all felt nice again and in the end it turned out to be the best Hatchet ride I had had so far. A well succeeded trip I would say.

I leave for a work trip tomorrow for one week in Iceland, so I started packing. I have dismantled and packed the most important item (one of my unicycles). Now, time for a break. I can worry about my laptop, toothbrush, clothes, and other non-essentials tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

The question was for Ruari, but my kids learned at the age of 7 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n75wBFK-FI) and 8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJ0Ydo2Qkc) on a 16". They tried to ride the 12", but I think a 12" is harder to ride because it doesn’t roll very well.

Still, the 12" wasn’t a complete waste since I’ve had a lot of fun with it. I admire Turtle and Lutz with their adventurous uni videos, and because I’m nowhere near their skill level, I made my own mini muni version on the 12 inch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6T0YwrIy-0

Replaced the old disc brake on my main 36’er. The old one wouldn’t release after braking on long steep decents, plus the lever was banged up, so I chose to replace it. I chose the 2 finger lever because it was cheaper. It worked out fine, but maybe a 3 finger lever would have been better. The best part: super smoooth braking.

hahaha that was a great vid with the 12 unimyra very entertaining to watch

Progress at last! I haven’t made any perceptible progress for a few months now, but a definite breakthough today. I’ve been practising hopping on my 20" for a while, and recently I’ve been able to static mount into a few hops, then ride away. Today I managed to ride - hop 180 degrees - ride off a couple of times! (Out of many attempts). This is pretty basic stuff, but it’s been eluding me. At least I know it’s possible now.

My hopping is still quite sketchy, I have to get my position just right, and I often have to bale out when my feet slip or the cranks start to rotate. I’ve learned that pulling up harder on the saddle helps.

good job Richard, it feels great when things start working doesn’t it. I am in the same place with the learning to stop hop and take off again. I found learning to stall and take off was the biggest factor to getting better at hopping

So today I’m rushing around this morning getting everything moved to the car for my afternoon ride as it was raining this morning and I didn’t want to take the bike. I get to work and at some point I realized I forgot my helmet… arrgg
now it’s calling for rain the rest of the week :frowning:

I had a scary lil close call…

I was riding my 36er along the shoulder of the local highway(I try to ride on the shoulder as little as possible, I stick to parallel side streets along highways) and suddenly my shoelaces got caught in the left pedal and luckily just violently ripped clean off and I landed on my feet and ran for a bit on the rightmost side of the shoulder. The uni, however kept rolling along and then veered to the left into oncoming traffic behind me. Traffic slowed though, thank god, and I grabbed my uni.

I will now ride on shoulders even less. In this case I had to to get to the next side street, but in the future I will always plan to avoid them.

Oh…and I’ll always check my shoelaces from now on.

I’m thankful I didn’t faceplant or end up in oncoming traffic.