What Was Your Worst Unicycling Injury?

I already posted this in the “Unicycle Chat” Facebook group but decided to post here as well after meeting a unicyclist friend using the same rotor that caused my injury who is not using Facebook. So, I figured there may be others like him and they should be aware of this.

A month ago I had a very bad injury from my disc rotor (seen in the picture). I dismounted my unicycle (KH 29) badly and my leg hit the rotor. The leg was severely cut by the rotor. A cut of about 20 cm long and 3-4 cm deep in my right calf (a few internal stitches and 16 external). The Achilles tendon was exposed and I was very very lucky to not have severely damaged it. The rotor practically sawed my calf. I was wearing knee guards, not full leg armor.

The rotor belongs to Qu-Ax and, to the best of my knowledge, is mounted on their unicycles. They did tell me they would instruct their dealers to stop selling it separately. Nevertheless, I highly recommend anyone with this rotor to consider replacing it ASAP. I see no reason not to use the widely available non-jagged rotors for unicycling, as the leg is so close to the rotor (unlike when riding a bike).

3 Likes