What Unicycle for Heavy Load?

If you end up getting a MUni I would look into getting a Maxxis Hookworm tire for it as well. The hookworm is 24x2.5" tire so it has plenty of volume and has a real nice round profile which should feel great on pavement.

I have never unicycled with a hookworm but I have heard good things and I have the 26x2.5" version on my cargo bike and love it. save the knobby for when you decide to start riding off road.

I think a MUni would be a great investment if you think you will continue to ride and eventually take on the trails but if you just want something to learn on and nothing more any decently made unicycle should hold up to general riding.

MUni tires are squirrelly due to the knobs, and have poor overall handling characteristics; they turn poorly and behave poorly on side slopes. Not to mention they weigh a ton. It’s easier and more rewarding to ride a street tire off-road than to ride a MUni tire on streets.

Heavy Rider

…no shit there I was 7th grade and doing great on my Schwinn Unicycle. I’m close to 270@39yrs now and Im still confident in my skills but I don’t want to ride my original cycle. Back then I would break spokes from time to time (warranted forever…that shop hated me) just by hopping over curbs. I guess I was a big kid for Junior High. Now I’m almost retired from the Army and I’m thinking I should have a new unicycle perhaps made with a heavy duty motorcycle wheel.
Anybody make something like this? I KNOW there are big-multi-spoke motorcycle wheels that could be fitted with a crank. GIve me some advice or watch how innovative I will become.

Some issues with motorcycle gear

Granted, the motorcycle rims, tires, spokes and hubs are several times stronger than uni stuff. There is a weak link problem though. Would it be worth machining the spokes to fit a uni hub, and boring out the uni hub spoke holes ? You might never break the motorcycle rim, but would the fat spokes just pull out of the uni hub ?

Using a motorcycle hub would solve that. However the bearings are pressed by the outer race into the motorcycle hub. No simple way to attach a uni frame to that. Welding an axle to the uni hub is problematic, as you can’t weld a steel axle to an alum motorcycle hub. Nor would an alum axle be strong enough. Maybe you could machine in key slots.

I don’t wish to be discouraging. It seems that a motorcycle wheel uni would need a custom frame (on the wide side), a custom machined axle and machining on the motorcycle hub. While you are at it, custom cranks, and a machined spline axle-crank inter face, to at least double ISIS strength would make sense. Otherwise, you are just moving the weakest link to the cranks, while getting the weight of the motorcycle parts, but not much more practical strength.

We would all love to see it. It is definitely doable, but maybe a lot of $, unless you are a skilled welder and machinist with a lot of free time.

I’d be REALLY suprised if you could F-up a Large Marge or similar 65mm or greater rim with a UDC or KH ISIS hub… I know guys that do serious downhill (I’m talking 20’ drops) with their LM downhill set-up; granted, these guys have full suspension but I’ve even seen some rigid frame set-ups do some pretty big stuff with them. I’m 205lbs and my Surly Conundrum set-up with the LM rim/UDC ISIS hub is pretty bomber. I haven’t thought twice while learning to drop off 3 foot curbs etc… seems like 270-300 lbs should be fine for riding around.

I’d also disagree somewhat when others say that wider rims suck on pavement. I actually ride much more smoothly and can ride faster on my LM set-up than I can on my Torker 24" set-up. The width of the rim and my IRC Kujo tire work great on pavement when the tire pressure is pretty high.

That would be my suggestion… you would just need to find a frame that could take a wide wheelset.

I was pushing 250 lbs when I started learning - I haven’t had a single issue with my totally stock Nimbus 29" riding off curbs and short drops. I’m sure that I’ll eventually push it beyond its limits and be required to upgrade something, but thus far it has served me well.

In case anyone finds it useful, my first (and currently only) unicycle is a Nimbus II that came with a Maxxis Hookworm. Now the unicycle is more of a Frankenstein of random parts I have put on – I replaced the seat, pedals, cranks, and I have switched to a Kenda Nevegal (because I do more off-road riding than anything these days). I definitely have to say that the Hookworm handled easily on pavement. I honestly don’t find the Nevegal to be super hard to handle on pavement; the main difference I notice between the Hookworm and the Nevegal on pavement is turning – it takes a lot more effort to turn the Nevegal in a tight turn (which is to be expected, I think).

hookworm on a 24" muni

I am riding (and selling unis. One of my customers wanted a 24 uni that he could use to ride to work without fearing going off curves or an occasional gravel road. He got himselef a Qu-Ax 24" Cross (A 24" Qu-Ax Muni would have been “too strong” for what he needs. After riding a couple of weeks we changes the tire to a Maxxis Hookworm 24"*2.5 - This tire is great, very smooth and is definitely a more suitable one for city and little gravel riding conditions.