what shoes do you wear when you ride

fiveten shoes… idunno what they are called… they we designed for freerunning in the beginning, they have sweet rockclimbing rubber on teh bottom, and they are super beasty… i dont they are any good for freerunning, but they rock for muni… although you cant reposition your feet without taking them off of the pedals…

My problem is finding good unicycling shoes (flat sole) that provides enough support for stand-up wheel walk and is a high top that covers the ankle. Even my current high tops make me suffer from hitting my ankles some.

The ultimate unicycling shoe would restrict movement of the ankle to prevent sprains, would have a hard sole in the heal area, and would cover the ankle to prevent hitting it (which happens when doing things like uni spins).

661 has good shoes like that.

Also, converse, with the original insole cut out, replaced with 661 ankle biters and a gel insole make it the best sho I have ever had, no ankle problems form the cranks or falling, the bottom grips excelent and its good for freestyle. =p

I’ve actually just bought a pair of vans. I bought them mail order cos I thought they would have a flat sole. Since doing longer distances on the coker I have come to realise the importance of being able to change my foot position.

They didn’t have a flat sole. They have a sole with lots of holey things in. By the time I got home today my feet were numb as I hadn’t been able to move them around to get the blood flowing. Also they got caught on the pins on two occassions when I was dismounting and I thought disasterous upds were going to happen (which they didn’t, thankgoodness).

So anyone got any advice re shoes with flat soles that don’t get caught on the pins??? Thanks.

Cathy

Do you mean the waffley pattern on the bottom or are these something different? That waffle sole is part of why people use them, they lock onto the pin pedals so well, whichever position your foot is in.

Changing foot position once you’ve got your feet well locked on is a skill worth learning, you have to lift up one side of the foot and wiggle them around till it’s right, whilst putting less pressure on that pedal, so they move to the right place. It’s better to have locked on feet and have to mess around a little to move them than to have feet that slip off sometimes and crash loads more, you’ll not regret learning it.

Joe

mm… waffles

they’re what i use too, just anything that i can pick up at the op shop, as long as it has waffles on the bottom.

Ed

Yes, the waffley pattern.

What you say makes sense. Infact I have been doing exactly what you suggest. I’ve decided not to do it at high speed again though.

I find that it’s easier to do if I have a good grip on the handle and harder to do if I want to move my foot out rather than in towards the uni. Ah well,
yet another uni moment where I can’t take the easy way out.

Cathy

I just wear running shoes, they work fine for me, and I don’t have to get another pair of shoes.

I’m like smcmorrow. I use generic Reebok running shoes that cost $40.

I wear salomons with 1/8" round laces made of kevlar the same stuff that makes bullet proof vest :sunglasses:

In my view, the Vans “Off the Wall” models with the stiff soles (not the super-flexy soles) ARE designed for uni, or at least are designed for pinned pedal riding. The diamond tread pattern is super grippy on pinned pedals.

I ride Vans, but I use them only for riding. No mountain climbing or skating or puking with them. As a result I’ve had the same pair for a couple of years now and at least 2000 miles. They’re doing fine, and are good for another grand at least.

Airwalk Quarry. They’re pretty smooth and I love them. :slight_smile:

Ditto!

XL2’s I have. They were great for unicycling for all of about a month. They’re just not durable enough for unibiking, particularly trials.

Over all I was not too impressed with them as unicycling shoes. I don’t even think they’re that greta for skating. It seems the manufacturing quality of Vans has dropped a lot in the last few years; my mate has a pair from a few years ago that are still going strong but newer ones just seem to fall to bits.

That’s going to end up in somebody’s sig.

I’ve just bought a pair of Five-Ten Impacts - only used them the first time riding to work this morning (ten miles ish, very rough xc) but they seem to be all that I need; grip pinned pedals like limpets, padded ankle, look pretty bomb-proof. I’ll do a proper review when I’ve put a few more miles on them, but I’m impressed so far. They’re quite a bit like 661 duallys (and about the same price as the new ones) but look to be a bit stronger and hopefully more durable. After ten miles of riding, there are not even any pin marks on the soles.

Rob

I use Adio skate shoes. I love them, but the model is discontinued. They have a nice gel pad in the heel and I really like them. I also really like DVS skate shoes.

Are the soles any stiffer than Duallys?

Anyone with Vans relations should seriously go for it.

I just wear some beat up old Adidas…I have Converse that I wear normally, but, contrary to popular opinion, riding in them just fels plain uncomfortable to me…perhaps it’s my flatfooted-ness