What invention-ideas can you suggest for unicycling?

I remember a freewheel hub CVT with 122mm bearings that I would like to use with bended Nightfox fork’s legs, but I stopped uni-dreaming as soon as my first son born

If their hub works, it’s 100% likely that one of you guys will craft a custom frame for that thing.

3 Likes

You’re 100% right! I’d love a 3-gear freewheel uni :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Enviolo builds a CVT wireless hub. We just need to put pressure on them building an ISIS hub with space for uni bearings at 125mm

The problem is how it’s made, and where the power is transmitted into the hub.

Bike hubs typically could not be modified into unicycle hubs as the axle is fixed, and the power is delivered via a sprocket which rotates around the fixed axle.

The shifting also happens on the outside of where the power is transmitted, which is not possible with a unicycle hub (aside from a design like the Schlumpf buttons).

2 Likes

I wrote enviole because of their site. Seems that the axle deliver transmission like in a unicycle. But I have too many projects to follow others

I agree that their technology would be very interesting for unicycles, mainly because the shifting is seamless and doesn’t seem to rely on any one directional effects (so it can be used fixed).

But every rear bike hub has a static axle in the middle, with a sprocket around it to deliver the torque, Enviolo is no different. So for a unicycle application, you would have to completely repackage the whole mechanism. Which is possible, but quite a lot of effort for a tiny market, so I won’t expect them to jump on it. (Schlumpf can barely justify investing in the production of hubs each batch and they have relatively little cost of new development…)

However, if someone has a lathe, a mill, some spare cash and a lot of time on their hand, I think this would be a super exciting project.

2 Likes

1 lower gear 1.5-1
2 locked 1-1
3 upper gear 1-1.5
did someone mention my name?

3 Likes

Enviolo is the new name of NuVinci so same technology (free wheel, not the same front and back ride ratio, ….)

But as far as I can see the freewheel is not necessary to make any part of the mechanism work, it’s just there because it’s a good feature on a bike. (Unlike pretty much every other internally geared bike hub, which usually have internal clutches that only work in one direction).
Not sure what you mean about the ratio, it’s still simple gearing in it’s essence, the ratio stays the same, no matter which direction you turn the input shaft.

That CYCLAUTO thing = tricycle.

I this is Justin who made a prototype some years ago with a NuVinci hub, he modifed it to remove the clutch and the conclusion is that the gear ratio front and back ride are different due to the CVT mechanism …

He modified it to have a clutch in the reverse direction which meant it was always 1:1 in reverse, and you couldn’t go above 1:1 in the forward gear or it would lock up.

Due to how the NuVinci/Enviolo hubs work with their non-newtonian fluid, they only work in a forward direction.

1 Like

Could be done through you, rather than them coming to the forum

Sure. If that’s easier for them to discuss with a single person, I’m here. Otherwise, if they want more opinions, you’re all here.

2 Likes

I took “survey” to mean distributing a questionnaire among unicyclists. You could put it on here for “all” of us to respond. For a more free-format discussion, it’s indeed better if they join here.

1 Like