What invention-ideas can you suggest for unicycling?

Interesting idea. It would solve the problems with current bearing caps, but would it mean a) some kind of splined interface needed on the inside of the hub, and b) removing a crank to remove the wheel?

This is one of the ways that Penny farthing rims are made. There are 2 main ways these are joined. 1. is using a spring, the other (and more common) is using a wire.

I have tried solid tyres on a unicycle… they are not ideal. We need more grip.

2 Likes

Wire or spring, or rubber, appears not so good. My hose crawls along the rim, moves slowly opposite wheel rotation. Wave or peristaltic effect. I’m looking for way how to prevent it.

Perhaps you could buy two or three extra long spokes so that they stick out into the rim and poke a hole in the hose so that it is stuck to the spoke and can’t rotate from there.

1 Like

Or alternately, use grip tape instead of rim tape.

There’s a terrifying video of a penny farthing crash where the rider is going down a long hill at speed and you can see the rubber tired stretch outward off the rim before the crash.
What about using some 2 sided carpet tape between the wheel and the rim to prevent slip. The 3m stuff for indoors is super thin and plenty sticky.
Edit- Having had a look at how these solid tires are mounted it would seem that adding a tape wouldn’t work as the tire needs to be able to move on the rim while being installed.

Found this, I hope that its helpful
Installing Tire on a Highwheel / Penny Farthing / Hiwheel Bicycle. - YouTube

1 Like

Looks like a great video to me! I hope it helps, also!

If you want to try some tape to try to stop things slipping I’d at least go for something like tub-tape or tub glue/cement – ie. something meant for gluing tubular tyres onto sprint rims (I’ve got a set of Mavic GP4 rims on a vintage road bike [which wasn’t vintage when I bought it!] and never had any concern riding these at pretty high speed). I"m not sure how this would bond to your tyre material but it surely sticks tubular tyres to rims.

Stuff like this for example:
https://www.merlincycles.com/velox-jantex-tub-tape-81504.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-alloy-rims-tubular-cement-25g-58612.html

Ideas sometimes can comes to life…
Past two years:

10 Likes

that’s very handy. That way the 36" would even fit easily in my car.

I noticed this is a very old thread after reading the 15th message…

How about a unicycle with a roof, so it becomes more pleasant to ride in the rain. Possibly with side flaps to stop the wind from blowing the rain underneath. It should be sturdy enough that it can survive UPDs.

Well, we got this.

No multi-speed geared hub yet.

Well, maybe there is… :smirk:
The president of a French company sent me a message two days ago. He told me that they are creating a multi-speed front hub. What I currently know:

• freewheel hub
  • 3 speeds, including 1:1
  • aluminum and steel
  • disc brake ready
  • should support the weight of a rider (the president told me he already rode it while being standing on the pedals)
  • is designed in partnership with Michelin!

I’ll try to get some more details :grin:
I’m absolutely not sure it can fit in a unicycle frame, but if it could… That’d be fun to give it a try!

12 Likes

Mmm, interesting that it’s 3 speed. The way I’ve expected someone to do this would make it a CVT.

I’ll await specifics!

1 Like

I would also have expected such a technology. But I’m not sure if it would work in a unicycle. Could we make something sturdy-enough to avoid breaking it? I’m no mechanical engineer so I don’t know much about that point :slight_smile:

Regarding Cyclauto, I’ve sent them a few questions:

• which bearing size?
  • which bearing spacing?
  • how do we switch between gears?
  • which crank interface?
  • which gears?
  • how heavy?
  • which technology inside the hub?

Do you see other point we should discuss?

BTW, I’ve invited them to come here if they want to survey the unicycling community :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:eyes: :ear: :gear:

:grin: :cool:

2 Likes

Number one on list, freewheel hub

1 Like

I would hope for those of us that like a fixed wheel - this could be option :crossed_fingers:

I don’t think this hub would ever be fixed. The guy I’m talking with told me the gear box involves a freewheel. We all know this isn’t the case - :wave: Florian - but I guess the technology they’ve used to create their gear box does require a freewheel.

1 Like

continuously variable transmission, remotely controllable with a toggle switch on the handlebars

4 Likes