What I’ve learned while unicycling

Re: What I’ve learned while unicycling

more useless acronyms

I’ve learned that some people are drawn to the unusual, and others shun it.

I’ve actually been keeping a list;

Try something you think is impossible, you’ll surprise yourself.

Success and Failure are part of the same thing, a larger experience that is incredibly challenging, frustrating, and rewarding.

Now matter how new and fancy your unicycle is, you still have to ride it. - Oh hey, that’s in my sig line

The skill of a biker or a skateboarder is often directly proportional to their reaction to a unicyclist. Not always true…but amusingly often

similarly, the only time you’ll make a stupid pointless UPD is when many people are watching, ex. when there’s four cars at a four way stop, and you wave at your friend in the car as you’re crossing, which makes you not notice that pothole.

1.Some people are bigger pratts than I ever realised before.
2.The unicycle community is more friendly than the juggling community.
3.The power of self-belief. It doesn’t matter if you can or can’t do something but if you believe you can do it, you are more likely to have positive results and happier anticipation.

Cathy

Center of concentration is more important than center of balance.

As has been mentioned, the upds from crazy stuff are all fun and don’t hurt, where the ones from that 1" rock in the middle of the singletrack cause much pain.

Trials skill comes in spurts.

i’ve learnt that u should never shave your head with a blunt razor when u’re in a bad mood

and i don’t care that it has nothing to do with unicycling.

it’s that important

won’t this help?

you should steer AWAY from trees

On the realm of steering into trees, a mantra for life:

You tend to go where you’re looking.

A mountain biker I met on a trail had a good saying about that: “See the tree be the tree”
If you focus on the tree that you are trying to avoid you will end up steering right towards it. Focus on where you want to go and what you want to do rather than on what you want to avoid.

Fortitude and determination can overcome very big obstacles.

Downhill muni sections can be very gratifing…Or very un-forgiving

My neighbours brother played in the NHL (or really high up I don’t know, but I think it was NHL) and he said that when he was playing he wouldn’t be able to tell you what the goalie looked like after the game, cause he was always looking at the open net. Sorta the same principle.

Torker LX’s and Miyata’s are not the same. The handles have different bolt patterns.

David

Aye gravity is a harsh mistress…

people that think your gonna fall and people that ask the question is it hard kinda get annoying after a while

Practice the stuff I’m weak at.

Be satisfided with a steady learning curve.

Celebrate the good runs and good efforts.

At least half the stuff I can actually roll if I only had the sack to try.

Relaxed focus and effort are the best tools for hard Muniing.

Breathing is important in long hard rolling sections.

All of my countless injuries came in large part by fighting the trail, now flowing with it.

When I start floundering, get off the trail and take a break of at least 10 minutes.

Don’t fight fear with aggression, rather with relaxation and desire.

Practice slow riding on long curbs–boring, but the balance training pays off.

Enjoy and encourage your friends, otherwise Muniing is all sweat and work.

JL

Originally posted by forrestunifreak

lol!

How right!!
Almost 2 weeks ago, the ONLY time that I forgot to wear my wrist guards since I picked up my uni in this modern age of padding apparel, I took my first not-on-feet landing since I picked up my uni again. I landed on my wrist and I’m still swollen an in a brace. :frowning:

Doesn’t keep me from riding though.

This is a great thread!

Blake

Muni weekends

A new rider will never catch up to the rest of the group if he shows up late.

I’ve learned that freeing up Sunday morning for One on one to go mountain uni riding gets me a great breakfast out when he gets back.

Thanks for the hint. I’ll look into getting one just as soon as I can ride unsupported by One on one on the 20" Torker. He tells me I’m close, if only I practiced more often. (But someone’s gotta watch the kids.) :slight_smile: