What happens if I install a wire-bead tyre on a hookless rim?

I’m ordering a 26" carbon rim and the manufacturer told me they may only offer a hookless model. The thing is I’d like to reuse my Maxxis Hookworm tyre on it, which has wired bead, and I always prefer to pump it to the max psi. Could the hooklessness be a problem to me?

To my knowledge you should be fine. Like, I just did this yesterday.

We talkin’ hookless like the bottom rim profile here? If so, you are good.
MO-all-road-carbon-rims-hooked-vs-hookless

1 Like

Thanks Ryan! Yes it’s exactly the same as shown on the picture.

It seems nowadays most rims are hookless (to be tubeless-compatible I suppose?), what would be the benefit of getting a hookful rim?

1 Like

I thought I read somewhere that hooks were for maintaining really high tire pressures. I am pretty sure you need hook compatible tires too. Otherwise I do not know and we will have to hear from those more knowledgeable on the subject.

And yeah, my findings are hookless are far more common for rims I was looking at.

Isn’t “hook compatible” tyres those with wired beads?

1 Like

Might be, not sure.

Unless someone in the forum has tried the exact rim(width)/tire/psi combo there is no clear answer as I suppose that the Hookworm clincher tire was not designed for hookless use. It might work but there are many factors.

Use ear plugs while inflating as it might blowout. Leave it inflated for a while before riding. If the tire looks evenly seated in the rim then it will hopefully stay like that.

Light bicycle has a long story about the subject

6 Likes

Thanks Hammer, that’s a great read.

I finally pulled my trigger on a Maxxis DTH 26x2.3 foldable, not only it’s a safer choice on a hookless rim, but also it’s ~500g lighter than the Hookworm. We’ll see how the wheel turns out!

3 Likes

Just resurrecting this thread.

I’m thinking about getting this:

But again I’m faced with not knowing if I’d be fine to install a wire bead tyre - so an older tyre which has me thinking this isn’t what the rim is about given it is tubeless / hookless focused.

But I can’t imagine buyers only use new types of tyres - and LightBicyle kind of told me it would be OK but I wasn’t totally sure they knew the kind of tyre I was referring to.

Lucas, did you ever try a non-TR tyre on your rim?

I kind of don’t care about carbon but want a strong 32h 26” rim ideally with hooks - and they’re also seem hard to find in this 33mm internal width.

1 Like

What about a Dt Swiss FR560 rim?

It’s pretty close to what you’re looking for - except it’s 30 mm wide, instead of 33. It may be cheaper than the carbon rim, if you don’t specifically want to go carbon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, the only tyre I tried on that 26" rim is the DTH and definitely would recommend it.

Is there a particular reason why you want to reuse your old tyre? I had the impression that tyres with wired bead are kind of obsolete in the bike market, so it might not be a bad idea to use something future-proof. A new tyre is much cheaper comparing to a rim after all.

1 Like

@mindbalance

I have used the Hope Fortus 26” 30mm internal on my Flansberrium and I can’t fault it. Strong rim and made in the uk.

Very very similar to the DT Swiss that @Maxence has recommended. Bought my Hope from these guys and told them what I was going to do with it and said the Hope was better suited. So took they advice

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the recommendation - does the rim have hooks? I seem to recall seeing this one doesn’t so it wouldn’t be suited for a wire bead type tyre from a while back (before tubeless)

It does look nice in terms of design and no annoying colours :joy:

Looking at the cross section drawing on Hope website it appears to me it does.

What do you think.

1 Like

You make good points here!

I finally got confirmation from LightBicycle that their 26” rim (RM26C05) can be safely used with wire bead tyres. It’s all about pressure it seems - so I guess that settles it really.

I like the look of that rim and I may end up going with a newer, modern tyre one day.

2 Likes

I also had this confirmed by YouTuber Ali Clarkson which was nice - he seems to like this particular rim and knows his stuff!

1 Like