Well, you were all right! (like usual)

I’m already used to my Coker + 125’s :slight_smile:

Although, in the snow (snowy+icy sidewalks, I mean), I don’t see this combo without a handle working at all. I am currently switching my Velo between my Coker and my MUni

Does anybody, with any length cranks, idle their coker at intersecions and stuff? I find it way too much effort, so I jsut hop off. Or hold the don’t walk sign

I like 125’s on my Coker, but I don’t idle with it. I couldn’t idle with the 150’s either, I just hop off or grab a stop sign lik eyou do. If I see a red light ahead, I try to slow down enough to make it when it turns green.

I really don’t loke the Coker in snow. It feels like it’s going to slide out from under me all the time( and it usually does ). That’s how I taco’d the wheel this last time.

Mojoe

For short periods of time, tiny little hops on a Coker allow you to remain stationary with little effort.

Re: Well, you were all right! (like usual)

I think you’ve answered your own question there!

Idling a Coker is possible, but it is difficult. It’s not just the crank length, but also the weight of the wheel which gives it a flywheel effect. Also, if you think of idling as a pendulum like motion, the pendulum is a very long one.

The result is that until you are very very good at idling the Coker (and I’m not!) the Coker has a very big ‘footprint’ as it zig zags from side to side. If you get it wrong, it goes wrong very suddenly, and there’s little hope of recovering.

Falling off at an intersection is not only bad for cred., but also very dangerous. If you UPD off the back, the Coker can roll a long way forwards without you - much further than a conventional uni with a smaller lighter wheel. It could cross a 4 lane road on its own!

However good I was, I don’t think I would risk idling a Coker anywhere near traffic or groups of pedestrians.

For context; I can idle a 20 indefinitely, either foot down, and almost indefinitely one footed on either side. I can idle my 24, 26 and 28 almost indefinitely (28 has 110s, and I occasionally drop it). Against this background, I still find idling the Coker with 150s hard work, achievable, but unreliable.

I found that while I could idle with 150s, it was nowhere near as
comfortable as on a regular unicycle. With 165s it’s easy though, and 175s
make it feel like a 24" unicycle. Now that I’m using 140s I don’t try it at
all. If it’s going to be a reasonably short wait, I do infrequent little
hops in one place - that’s the best because you are working on balance and
learning something rather than just standing there. Holding the don’t walk
sign is cool too.

—Nathan

“Sofa” <Sofa.iwkxm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote
> Does anybody, with any length cranks, idle their coker at intersecions
> and stuff? I find it way too much effort, so I jsut hop off. Or hold
> the don’t walk sign

When you say tiny hops, you have to stand up on the peddles and just =
hop? Is that what you mean? That’s what you do at the red stop light =
while waiting for a green light?

Coker hopp’n

That’s what I do; I have about as much luck iddling a Coker as Blueshift (none). It also can produce some interesting figures on your cycling computer that you can then report to the forum; I did 23 mph while hopping at a red light, once…

BTW: if you don’t let go of the sadle, the big wheel doesn’t go anyware when failing an iddle (looks kinda funny when you dismount to the front, though :)).

-C

idling a coker (on 150mm cranks) isn’t that hard, just takes a bit of practice and leg strength. I’ve seen 110 cranked coker idling, although that is definately filed under difficult.

You need a fair bit of top foot pressure to keep it smooth and stop it twisting.

Little hops is a bit more effort for me, but I usually do that anyway unless I’ve got tons of space.

Joe

coker idling

"You need a fair bit of top foot pressure to keep it smooth and stop it twisting. "

Yeah, I agree.

Not meaning to brag, but i found idling a coker for the first time surprisingly easy. I think you need to rock it round to just before the point where you lose control. It does take quite a lot of effort from your legs but it isnt too bad, but it can’t be done for too long. BTW this was on 150s, I haven’t tried it on 125s.

Hoppings pretty easy aswell!
:stuck_out_tongue:

(sorry)