WARNING 07 KH ISIS crank removal

Guys Here Is The Solution.

ok, so I went to this web page.

they claim to have a 12mmX1mm tap! they just emailed me back.

if you wanna talk to them just email or call them.

I dont know their reputation, but they emailed me back within an hour which I think is a good sign of reputable business.

here is their web page.

www.e-taps.com

The tap is about 20$ american for shipping and everything. I think they are located in the united states.
This is a good deal.
for a new hub and a wheel build would cost about 90$ about.

This is what happens the time I do not double check the procedure, just in case. As some have said here, don’t overthink, just keep it simple. :angry:

I ended up damaging up the threads removing the isis cranks on my KH 20. Hope I can get this fixed otherwise I need a new hub etc. Don’t want to tap this myself and cross thread it or make it worse. Would rather an experienced hand do this.

Notice that a few other folks “keeping it simple” made the same mistake…

So you used the square taper side of the crank puller and it damaged the threads in the hub (not the crank threads)? If I’m following correctly, I wouldn’t be too worried about re-tapping it yourself. Usually with cutting fluid and a good tap, you won’t be able to cross-thread it too easily. You should be able to find an M12 tap and handle for a lot cheaper than a new hub.

Thats’s correct, I damaged the hub, not the cranks. Now I realize there is a different end that needed to be swapped.

Shouldn’t have done it tired at the end of a long day…

A regular tapered tap should have enough chamfer on it that it will help line it up with the hole and clear out the first few threads (probably the only threads that got damaged.) If you have a pick or pokey tool (dart maybe) you might be able to chase the threads out with that.
It’s a lot easier on aluminum than a hardened chromoly hub spindle, but might still be worth a try…

I had beter either get a pro to do this, or at least use the proper tool so I don’t make it worse.

I thought this was going to have my uni out of commision for a day or two as I put in new bearings etc. Now this could take longer and I have to waste time running around looking for the solution.

My other practice uni really sucks in comparison to the KH, an old chrome learner with square taper cranks, no Q factor. I think the whole thing flexes under my weight. Definitley nowhere near as enjoyable to use.

Eventually will have to acquire a spare equivalent uni so I can continue practicing if the other one breaks.