Wallis CF miyata style handles

I spent the day using and abusing my recently acquired handles from Scott Wallis. The bumpers are cast and reinforced with carbon/kevlar and has a carbon/kevlar plate for the front bumper mount area. These things are almost identical to the original Miyata style handles, and are extremely stiff. So far they’ve held up to a ton of abuse and are aesthetically pleasing.

They look great. How much are they?

Thanks,
Andrew

woah! where can i get one!

I sold a couple of prototype handles to Accord and Jagur because they were having trouble getting the handles they wanted. They will now try to break them and give me feedback. Scott Stephens is also using them.
Before I can sell anymore I am going to make some shape changes and make new molds. The protype molds are not acceptable for production and were only intended to allow material testing.
I will let you know when they are available and how much. They will be priced “mid range”.
I really don’t know what is acceptable on this forum as far as product announcement, etc. Maybe someone can let me know.
You can always PM me.

Scott

maybe make the opening wider like the kinport handle

He’s definately on the right track with these handles, I’ll keep you guys informed as far as abuse goes.

Cool. More high-tech unicycle stuff. These are dimensionally the same as the Miyata’s. Any chance for a bigger (not little Asian girl sized) handle? How about colors, Scott? CF is limited to black only, isn’t it?

You can actually weave different colors into the carbon + kevlar to produced colored strands in the material.

Check that out for an idea. I’m off to work, but if you were to do a bit of searching around you can find some more information on it.
And to try and answer another question directed towards Scott, yes I believe he does plan on making it Texas size. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen some cool CF Kevlar stuff where the Kevlar is different colors I think this is due to tinting the resine with different color dye’s The effect makes for a really cool Blue and balck or Red and black mesh. I dont know if that would work for your process, or if thats how they even do that kinda thing. But it looks cool…

Looks like a great job on the Miyata copy. It looks really tough and would directly replace the Miyata in a way that is gym floor friendly. The Bruce Edwards fix is beautiful and cheap but labor-intensive and allows metal to touch the floor.

To me, though, the design of the Miyata and KH handles was dictated by plastic molding technology or something similar, and freestyle use. For more forceful handle use, such as trials, off-road, or even road touring/racing, a more ergonomic grip is necessary. More specifically, a grip that provides long-term comfort, support and room for each finger, either excellent grip friction or provision for a covering that provides that, and compensation for wrist and arm angles.

Chris Reeder was on the right track when in his prototyping specs he stated he wanted a convex handle, not a concave one. There are three handles on the market now that provide that: the Reeder handle, the GB commuter handle, and the Kinport handle drilled and modified with cloth filler tape . It is possible to provide some convexity to the front of the Wilder handle with filler tape, but not nearly to the width required by the human hand.

The Miyata paradigm is not suitable for forceful applications and needs to be abandoned. The only things it really has going for it are a) it provides a nice springy bumper for protecting the unicycle during freestyle practice, where UPDs are many per hour, and b) it is light, c) it provides enough grip for occasional hopping and mounting use during freestyle or light road use, and d) it is ambidextrous.

Scott, please consider these remarks and think about this: for the more vigorous handle applications, design a new handle. Use the specifications mentioned above and put your great, powerful materials technology to use in an ergonomic handle. Make clay and wood models of hands and research grip friction technology. Look at the handles that work well for forceful applications and ask why. If you do this, and apply the same know-how that you have obviously done so far, you will have the best, lightest, strongest, most comfortable handle available for forceful handle use.

The other advantage to splitting your handle into two designs should be apparent: the Miyata handle, which you have made already, is perfect for freestyle and light use, and acts as a direct replacement for all the manufacturers-defect Miyata handles out there. There is no more design work to be done (except apparently for some mold work which I know nothing about)! There’s no need to open up this or round-out that.

My two cents.

The prototypes are Miyata shapes with the finger hole opened up similar to what a few people have done by grinding their good, old handles. Also some other subtle reshaping. It makes enough difference that it is comfortable for me, having fairly large hands, but thin fingers.
My “production” reshape will definately have more room. They are, after all, made in Texas.:slight_smile:

The resin starts out clear and I can pigment to any color. The problem is that the process I am using causes the fibers to be against the surface in some places and not in others. So, whether I use CF(black only) or Kevlar (yellow & a few others)as the outer plies, it will show where it touches the surface. Using the black/black looks pretty good, other combinations may not. With a little experimentation, I may be able to keep the fibers away from the visible surfaces, in which case I could do colors. Maybe even blue… :sunglasses:

Scott

Looks like I took to long to answer, Accord already made the Texas reference.

U-turn,

All good points and that is exactly the track I am on. As I mentioned, the purpose of these first handles was to test a somewhat unconventional material/process combination. Using a modified Miyata shape was the easiest way to do that and have a baseline for comparison.
Also, while not ideal, I find these handles quite functional for muni/trials. They are way stiff, the CF seat base flexes first. And for my hand size and shape it is comfortable. But yes, there can be a much more ergo shape. The ambidextrous aspect is a bit of a problem. Anything ambi is a compromise. Making left and right versions increases the cost. Also, some people wil not yet have determined which hand they will link up with when buying a handle, and some may want to use either. So, you end up with L,R, and ambi. The first model will be for the left hand. Mine.:slight_smile:

As for the colored kevlar or CF/kevlar weaves, hopefully my previous post answered that.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

Thanks for your openness, Scott. It will serve you well.

Here’s an idea. Make a two part handle with one part that can be switched L-R while on the saddle. George Barnes and I have developed a mod to the GB commuter handle (report coming soon) that works that way. That way you eliminate the question from the purchase. The only drawback, which I would consider minor if not negiligible, is that it is not ambi while riding. I doubt that there are many riders that actually ride ambi. Even though some may say they need it, I wonder if they really use it that way.

With respect to the mold work, what I meant was that I don’t know much about these materials, not that I wasn’t informed about them. :slight_smile:

Re: Wallis CF miyata style handles

In article <U-Turn.ju3nc@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
U-Turn <U-Turn.ju3nc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
) I doubt that there are many riders that actually
)ride ambi. Even though some may say they need it, I wonder if they
)really use it that way.

I definitely ride ambi on my Miyata handle on long rides; I switch off
hands providing support, just to prevent cramping and balance the workload.
I will occasionally grab the end of my Reeder handle on my Pashley with
my left (off) hand–I would use my left hand more if I had an ambidextrous
handle.

I always use my right hand when I’m putting significant muscle into the
handle, but that’s a fairly small portion of my riding.
-Tom

U-turn,
I think the multi-piece switchable idea works with some designs such as tubular style grips like you are working with, but seems to have disadvantages with a molded style. Strength/weight/cost/complexity tradeoffs have tended to steer me away from a multi-piece design, but the jury is still out. As I am sure you know, the hardest part of product design is often not a lack of ideas, but rather picking one to pursue to market.

Tom,
Your style of riding may be more common than we think. Maybe we need a poll? Nah, I don’t do polls.:slight_smile:

Scott

My preference for a new handle design would be something of a cross between the current Miyata handle design and the Kinport handle design. Something with a little more room for the fingers than the Miyata and a larger and more rounded section under the fingers so the handle doesn’t bite into the fingers. The Wilder handle made by Scott Bridgman might fit the bill for me, but I haven’t had a chance yet to try one to find out.

I tried using a Reeder handle and found that it didn’t suit me. I couldn’t get comfortable with it’s position and it would poke me in the leg. I also didn’t like the way that it only fit one hand (in my case the right hand). I grab the Miyata handle squarely in front and the Reeder handle angled my hand in a way that I couldn’t get used to even though I tried it for several weeks. The design and the ergonomics just didn’t work for me.

A handle design that makes it possible to push down on the handle would also be good. The one thing that I liked about the Reeder handle is that it made it easier to push down on the handle which can be helpful on long climbs (supporting some of your weight on the handle can make it easier to pedal in a circle rather than blocky squares). So something that lets you support some of your weight on the handle would be good.

Scott,

GREAT WORK!!! Please keep us all posted as this project continues to evolve. I’m looking forward to seeing these available. Now THAT’S what I’m talking about. It is very exciting to see the contributions of all.
Tommy

Ive had mine for about `4 months now i think, and I can tell you, I have used it for some pretty rough muni and trials. It hits a lot, and it doesnt break. It doesnt flex, and it gives a real nice feel.
As far as finger comfortness, I havent had any problems with it.
I really like this handle, I would reccomend it to anyone for any type use.

Scott

Re: Re: Wallis CF miyata style handles

i ride ambi too.not only to prevent one hand from getting sore but i feel that some parts of the trail (cornering mostly) are better suited with one hand or the other.

i used the Reeder handle for a long time and loved it but gave it up for Miyata style for a couple reasons.such as weight,thigh bruise, and seat in back tricks (pushing that handle through my legs was not smooth) Yes i like to ride seat in back down stairs and on the trail.

I like the miyata-esque design for the same reason as jagur. Some people do odd things like ride seat in back in the midst of trials or trails. Also many other freestyle tricks are more difficult on the Reeder style handle because it gets in the way (and can cut/bruise your leg). If you want a handle purely for muni than the reeder does its job. Personally I like a handle that stays out of the way but still give some support. The velo handle has made some improvements over the miyata (increased room, doesnt break as easily). I would love to have a nice light carbon fiber handle with similar specs that I could stick on a CF base plate. Then I could add a low profile air pillow and some tubing for seat in front. idea

Idea: Anyone try making a CF seat base that is ergonomical to seat in front riding/jumping? A side handle of sorts, but something that is part of the base so it does not get in the way. Just brainstorming here, tell me what you think.

• Sal