Viscount screws revisited

I got tired of putting progressively longer and thicker metal screws in my Viscount (pronounced vee-CONT through the nostrils) seats. I finally realized that I’ve been putting the screws IN and never taking them OUT. So I dripped some 5 minute epoxy into the screw (read clearance) hole and screwed the metal screw back in. This kind of epoxy is about 5000 psi or so and will break easily I presume if and when I ever want to remove the screw. I let it sit for a half hour then went out and failed to wheel walk a couple of dozen times and one of those times saw it drop right on the front bumper where the epoxied screw was. Still tight. Cheap. Easy. Maybe even reversible.

I did the same thing with a silicon appoxy stuff it lasted for a good 2 months but now I need to re apply. I have lately been lending out my uni to beginers and it has experienced alot of wear.

deffenatlly an easy fix to an annoying problem

Chex

You are a good man to lend your uni to beginners. Good, positive exposure.

What’s the silicon stuff you’re talking about? Is it a silicone compound by any chance? Do you have any details? Is it flexible when cured or something like that?

Re: Viscount screws revisited

After going through the same process I finally replaced the screw with a
nut and bolt. On the inside of the metal tab that the screws go through
there is some foam. The foam is easily removed with a knife and can even be
simply pulled out with pliers. I used nylon lock nuts with a small bolt to
hold the bumpers in place. This repair was surprisingly easy. I don’t think
I will have to fix it again, but I know it will be easy to undo. I don’t
know why I didn’t think of this earlier.

Hooten

harper wrote:

> I got tired of putting progressively longer and thicker metal screws in
> my Viscount (pronounced vee-CONT through the nostrils) seats. I finally
> realized that I’ve been putting the screws IN and never taking them OUT.
> So I dripped some 5 minute epoxy into the screw (read clearance) hole
> and screwed the metal screw back in. This kind of epoxy is about 5000
> psi or so and will break easily I presume if and when I ever want to
> remove the screw. I let it sit for a half hour then went out and failed
> to wheel walk a couple of dozen times and one of those times saw it drop
> right on the front bumper where the epoxied screw was. Still tight.
> Cheap. Easy. Maybe even reversible.
>
> –
> harper - Gearhead
>
> -Greg Harper
>
> "What’s the use of having property if you can’t throw trash on it?
> -Chris LeFay quoting an “acquaintance”.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> harper’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/21034

Re: Re: Viscount screws revisited

Because the thing that works is the last thing we think of.

I’ve used carpenter’s glue, its clear, and sticks real well to hold the screws in and the bumpers to stay on. So far its held together through the abuse of my little brother learning to ride.

–Jon

Re: Re: Viscount screws revisited

I do the same fix and I’ve not had one problem with the three Viscounts at our house. As soon as I got my last uni I didn’t wait for the bumbers to fall off I just changed them anyway. I’ve taken the bumpers off several times (home made air seat and cover-see links below) and I use one hole as part of the way I fix my home made handle on (reeder style-see links below).

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/album61
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/album75

Gary

The product was Dap Silicon Sealant and bonding stuff it did dry with quite a bit of flex to it which is why I got it. I figured the flex might be able to hold the bumpers on better and i could soften up the bottom of the seat for my hands, which it has.

I wish I had brought the stuff up to school with me, because I have plenty of it at home, and yet am gonna have to go buy more because it doesnt do me anygood now at home. Ohh well.

Class time Later