Velo Saddle

OK, so I went and examined the Velo seat again when I got home from work. I had to push my 16-yr. old neighbour off the uni to get at the seat (he’ll live…).

It is definitely flexy. I hadn’t tried actually bending it before.

But it is not an issue when riding, hopping, jumping or crashing. At least, not that either of us have noticed. And it has hit the ground (pavement, dirt, rocks) many, many times in the last week, with no sign of damage. In fact, the handle and bumper look almost unscathed, compared to my Miyata handle, which was badly scuffed up after the same length of time.

In the pictures of the Kris Holm seat and the Miyata seat next to each other the seat frames look about the same. So, if the Velo saddle is really that flexy, could a stiffener plate fit on it?

Nikki

No, the velo cant really be taken apart… But in my opinion the velo is less flexible than the Miyata flexing.

Is there any way the front handle can be taken off and a gb handle put on in its place?

Aj

Define GB handle? but the bumpers can be taken off. just the seat cover cant.

If you can’t get the stiffener inside the seat, can you put it under the seat between the seat post bracket and the seat base?

Max, here is the GB handle:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=576

As soon as the Velos are actually available I’ll get one and take it apart. At that time I will either write up some installation instructions or possibly revise my handles and make them compatible with the Velos.

If a stiffener plate is indeed necessary I may take steps to make these available. They would be similar in design and price to the stiffener plates available for Miyatas:

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=607

A different stiffiner may need to be used, but it looks posible…

this is why george is the man: hes willing to do all the work for me. Thanks.

PS: Im almost positive that it can be taken apart. Most things can if you try hard enough.

Well you can, but it’s a big fat painin the ass. with all the glueing and stapling.

Hi from Guatemala,

Haven’t been following many threads lately but I think there was some discussion of flex on the Velo seat.

The original ones had some flex to be sure, although I think it is OK for most riding.

That said, an upgraded version of this seat will have a stiffener in the front to prevent flex. It will be slightly heavier but totally stiff- I have a prototype and it’s great.

An “upgraded-upgraded” version will be available sometime after that with a changed plastic seat frame- it will have rounded edges on the rear underside to make seat-out-in-front hopping more comfortable.

All of these things were in my original design drawings but it just takes time for the manufacturer to understand whats needed.

Cheers,

Kris.

Thanks for clearing that up.