Velo Saddle

I don’t know if everybody knows this, but I e-mailed Unicycle.com and this is what the guy said:

Hey Nikki,
The saddles will be here in three or four or so. They will cost around
$30.
Best regards,
Russell Fralick

1-800-Unicycle

I guess he means 3 or 4 weeks. But $30! That’s less than the Miyata!

Nikki

P.S. Sorry if this is common knowledge. I just thought I’d post it and let everybody know.

Actually, it’s the same price as a Miyata saddle WITHOUT a seatpost.

And seeing as how you’ll have to get yourself a viscount seat post in order to fit it to most unicycles, that price is back up to the miyata-with-seat-post price.

correct me if I’m wrong…

Yeah, I guess you’re right. But that’s still pretty good. When I first heard about them a while ago I was afraid they’d be really expensive.

most people have a spare viscount seat post or three lying about
so cheer up people, it may now be possible to buy a seat that you can actualy just use for serious riding without having to upgrade it.

Re: Velo Saddle

nbrazzi wrote:
> And seeing as how you’ll have to get yourself a viscount seat post in
> order to fit it to most unicycles, that price is back up to the
> miyata-with-seat-post price.
>
> correct me if I’m wrong…

I hope you’re right, since both the yikes I might want to put it on already
have Viscount seat posts.

I’m looking forward to trying the Velo saddle. Is anyone likely to have one
at any Stourport uni meets in the near future? I know I haven’t been to any
since Jenny was born, but hopefully I might start going again.

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Will the velo seat also support the GB4 seat post and the Pashley seat post?

I ask about GB4 because there is no Viscount post listed at unicycle.com

I ask abou the pashley post because it would be nice to use the saddle with my pashley and even nicer to have a post on it that doesn’t require shims.

United seat posts fit Viscount (remember, pronounciation) saddles.

The GB4 posts should be able to accommodate the Velo saddles in addition to Viscounts and Miyatas.

I won’t know for sure until I have a Velo, but it appears they use the same bolt pattern as Viscounts. If it’s a different pattern I will attempt to revise the mounting plate to accept all three saddle types.

It’s worth noting that the GB4 posts are 400 mm (16 in) long while the longest Miyata post available is only 300 mm (12 in). United (Viscount) posts are also available in 400 mm lengths.

The Velo we are “borrowing” from my shop uses a stock viscount post we got with out coker. so it shoud fit the gb4 post, except the size mightneed to change on the plate.

Is the padding in the velo seat comfortable?

Nikki

There are a few people who post on here that have ordered them so there should be some opinions soon. I’ll ask my son what he thinks when it arrives and maybe I’ll give it a try :wink:

Gary

Re: Re: Velo Saddle

My son will be at the next meet and he’ll have his and I doubt that he’ll be the only one, in fact someone had a prototype at the last meet.

Gary

I’ve got one on my Coker as of ten minutes ago.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun44

The good news - it’s lovely and comfy, lots of foam and foam feels very nice and the handle is comfy to grip. Weight significantly less than the viscount I had on there before (760 vs 1002 grams inc. fixing bolts)

The bad news - the seat is very flexy - pulling on the handle not very hard can bend it a fair bit. It’s okay for cokering where you don’t use the handle too much, but I wouldn’t use this seat for trials / muni, it feels like it wouldn’t last that long and you’ll lose a fair bit of power on hops or when powering uphill. It’s significantly more flexy than the miyata I’ve got on my muni (old miyata, no modifications).

Joe

Oh I forgot,

bolt pattern is the same as viscount so should fit onto the standard pashley post, does fit onto the coker post.

Joe

Hmmm. I have one on the new KH24, and two of us have been riding it offroad pretty regularly for a week, and we both think that it is no more flexible than the (unmodified) Miyata seats on our other unis. It certainly hasn’t been a problem while hopping.

Maybe it also has to do with the seatpost. The post on the KH24 is pretty solid.

Ya, the Vissss-count has done oodles of good for my pronounciation of curses and exclamations. I’m fairly accomplished in this arena, now. No mater the pain, I exclaim!

-Christopher

Re: Velo Saddle

“Monty” <Monty.cpzib@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Monty.cpzib@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Hmmm. I have one on the new KH24, and two of us have been riding it
> offroad pretty regularly for a week, and we both think that it is no
> more flexible than the (unmodified) Miyata seats on our other unis. It
> certainly hasn’t been a problem while hopping.
>
> Maybe it also has to do with the seatpost. The post on the KH24 is
> pretty solid.

I put it on the floor, back of the saddle on the floor, push down on it, the
front of the saddle bends a good couple of cm. I don’t think it’s the
seatpost. Maybe it isn’t as much of a problem as I thought, I was in a hurry
between swimming and work so didn’t have much time to mess around. Doesn’t
matter much to me, I’m only putting it on a coker, if it doesn’t break when
dropped very hard I’ll be happy.

Is there a pic of the seat on yours, I don’t suppose it could be an improved
version?

Joe

Re: Re: Velo Saddle

It came on my new KH24 uni; picked it up last week.

I have posted an album of pictures of the Velo side-by-side with the Miyata at:

Nice pedals.