Using a bike saddle with handlebar

So I was curious and ordered the Hobson seat. I mounted it on my Coker and took a spin up and down the street. It’s a big no. You sit on not over it. Very little control even with a handlebar. However on my heavyweight cruiser bike it feels fantastic. So it was worth picking up. It’s also very heavy.

If pictures work. This seat has been pretty comfortable so far. I’m still working on the idea that no center is the comfort answer. Narrowing and flattening are helping but I still had pressure causing tingling or numbing. The top bike seats are all (or seem to be) centerless. NO numbing or tingling with this setup so far. This is WAY WAY better than the stock Coker seat.

0320131149[3].jpg

0320131149a[1].jpg

If your butt goes numb, then at least you can’t feel the brick you’re riding on…

@ Jona, that’s a lot of heavy stuff just to ride a bike seat.

I’m suprised you find the narrow waisted bike to be comfortable. I worked ona similar set up, tried a variety of seats from narrow and long to wide and flat, no bike seat was all that comfortable unless I was leaning heavilly on something (bar, wall, etc…).

Just for future reference, in case someone sees your pics and starts thinking that a bike seat is “the answer”:

Many Waldos have passed this way…and many bike seats have been returned :roll_eyes:

I’m finding that a flatter seat with a nicely cushioned waist is a good compromise and is easilly made from an existing seat base and foam.

As far as heavy, it’s just a pi-bar. The seat is small and makes everything else look huge and this only works for the road, due to lack of control resulting from it’s being so narrow.
I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel here. Just trying to figure out what makes a uni seat uncomfortable for me. No, I’m not recommending anyone run out and replace their saddle with a tiny bike seat. Just that after riding on this seat, I think I’ve found the answer, at least to my issue. The centerless design puts no pressure on sensitive areas.
Now I want to incorperate that into a flat uni saddle. The Flatfish or Getto with no center just may be the answer. The grooved saddles still compress enough over time to have little or no relieving effect. That’s why I feel the centerless is the way to go. More experimenting is in order for sure.

It’s been a couple of weeks with the split bicycle seat in place and I have to say I like it. I agree it’s application is limited, but for a “road only” unit with handlebars, it is quite comfortable. I have yet to experience any numbing or tingling with this setup. The non split seats I tried were of little to no help. So going against other peoples statements on here, I would give this a try if you are one of the unlucky ones who’s more sensitive to the pressures of a standard uni saddle. I risked $19 total and I am happy with the outcome. It could be better, but now my legs give out before my crotch.:smiley:

0329131331[1].jpg

I like the leather bag,looks like it came from a carpenter’s tool kit :smiley:

If you decide to go with a flat seat, just make your own, it’s very easy. I have not tried the bake method, so maybe that’s a better way than boiling.

I have been riding the NNC with a Nimbus Gel pad and it is so comfortable because now I can ride with padded bike shorts!!

The most comfy seat has been the Freeride ghetto flat, it’s very easy, after flattening the seat I added a thin sickle shaped piece of 1/4" minicell foam under the back, dremelled the seat base holes to fit the steel plate, and glued it all together with spray contact adhesive.

Good eye, that’s exactly what it is. A leather pouch to carry nails in, or in my case to carry by lock cable in:D

My mission is to find a seat that takes away the pressure from the taint area.
I can ride with a sore butt (sit bones)for a long time, uncomfortable but that’s ok.
The numbing and tingling affect is not ok, and from what I’ve read can cause permanent damage in some folks.
I might be the only person out there with an extra-sensitive area and maybe not. It’s not something most guys talk about a lot, or ever.:o
In my case the shape of the seat, flat or curved, isn’t so much the issue as solid, grooved or centerless. All solid centers, no matter the shape, put unwanted pressure. The grooved, no matter the shape squash or flatten down after a bit and you’re back to the unwanted pressure. The centerless, reguardless of shape, DOES NOT put pressure on the sensitive areas.
I agree the bicycle seat is not the best shape for a uni, however since it is the only centerless design on the market, it is presently the most comfortable. I’m thinking that a real centerless Flatfish or even traditionally curved uni seat is probably the answer. The only way to do it would be to mount either design on rails. With rails a true centerless can be designed.

Mounting this goofy little seat on mine has made it possible for all day adventures that just wern’t possible before. Like I said, it isn’t perfect by a long shot, but if you suffer from numbing and tingling no matter how you adjust your seat, you may want to give this a try.

I like the centerless seat idea

What type of unicycle is that and how is the centerless seat working? I’ve been concerned about the pressure down there.