Unicyclist spotted at Seattle to Portland bike ride

My friend spotted a big wheel unicyclist participating in the Seattle to Portland bicycle ride last week. This is a 200-mile ride completed in one or two days depending on how one chooses to ride it. My friend said he did not see him on the second day, so either he did the whole thing the first day, or did not ride the second half.

Does anyone know who this rider was?

dan

Re: Unicyclist spotted at Seattle to Portland bike ride

or found his other wheel(ha)

Didn’t Dan Heaton of Washington do this ride a couple of years ago? I think he completed the 200 miles then, but wasn’t on a big wheel.

Re: Unicyclist spotted at Seattle to Portland bike ride

The Rider was Jack Hughes(age 16) of Shelton, Washington.
He finished the second day about 4:30. He is participating at NAUCC this week
and Unicon next.
Just got back from NAUCC, what a great group of riders collected today. Five
are staying at our house.
Tomorrow starts competiton, with 17 hours of freestyle.
Barb

Barb K.

Re: Re: Unicyclist spotted at Seattle to Portland bike ride

Barb,

Thanks for the information. If you get a chance let Jack know that I am interested in hearing about his ride. Not too many people complete back to back centuries on a uni.

Details such as training prior to the ride, time spent riding each day, time resting each day, comments form bicyclists, uni set up, how he felt at different points in the ride, etc.

Thanks for you help

dan

Re: Re: Re: Unicyclist spotted at Seattle to Portland bike ride

Dedication: fierce
Training: What more do you need?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unicyclist spotted at Seattle to Portland bike ride

Anyone that completes back-to-back centuries owes this group a review of the ride. Young or not, finishing the ride is still quite an accomplishment. I am quite persistent and don’t plan on giving up until I get one!

dan

Jack’s the man!

Dan
I won’t try to answer for Jack…but last year he rode the same ride on a 24"!!! I think he said the first 100 miles took him 17 hours! The second day he “only” rode like 70 miles! He’s also a very FAST racer on the track and off-road too. In fact, he seems to excel at everything uni!
-Mark

Re: Jack’s the man!

What?! 17 hours on a 24? Then 70 miles the next day? Holy %$$&!. You shouldn’t have told me that! Jack, can we get a report on last years ride too?

dan

Absolutely nobody can get a way with riding an organized century (or in this case a double century) without me finding out about it. You see, I have too many cycling friends around the country. Since only a handful of people have ever completed back-to-back centuries, we the unicycle community, demand a review of the ride.

Does anyone have this dudes E-Mail address?

dan