Unicyclist charged with misdemeanor

You come across sounding like a know-it-all old fogey, grow down. You decided the footpath was not where I was entitled to be.

Who are the Police that you talk about? The Police in general or rogue Police officers who make up laws? Most Police recommend that the footpath/sidewalk/pavement is the best place to ride, and applaud you for your skill. The anti-unicycling officers are the minority in the Police.

Now a unicycle is as dangerous as a loaded gun? I’ve had a unicycle tires explode but gun control is a whole other debate. If you read Sugra vs The Police there is great details of how a unicycle is not a “thing that in the absence of precaution or care is likely to cause injury”. I’ll decide when it is safest to ride on the footpath or the road thank you! The Police agree that until I hit someone it is proving to be safe.

Who needs levitation when you can have balance and control? Foot traffic does not levitate and yet it manages to use the footpath. You assume that your perception of the danger of unicycling should automatically make it law? That would be unfair, unfun and discriminatory I think and you should back it up with fatalities and injury statistics caused by unicycles.

What has people being on the footpath got to do with it? The question is whether it is a misdemeanor for a unicycle to be there at all, and of course it is not! Yes, I do see cars and motorbikes driving legally on the footpath from time to time, couriers and promotional vehicles. Also driveways cross footpaths so people have to drive on them all the time, but care must be used.

With what attitude? With the attitude that cycling is a sustainable and healthy activity that should be endorsed and encouraged by all, without unfair impedance. It is with others in mind that I think these Police need to stop acting without laws. The Police here have no hesitation to admit that I get stopped because I am different.

I agree. :smiley:

Common sense applies: drive (ride) to the conditions, and keep to a similar speed as the (foot) traffic. Going slow on a 36" is easy. I assume that riders without much skill are not going to be in busy pedestrian places unless they are supervised by me or some other competent rider who can evaluate the risks, because a unicycle is a high precision instrument that is not likely to get you far unless you are skilled with it.

I’m not sure that you can be with both of us, I agree to choose which is safest, Nubcake seems to be resisting the idea of using unicycles for transport. Maybe once he rides a bit more his eyes will open to the many wonderful possibilities the streets can hold.

They are very maneuverable, and the slim possibility of taking out a pedestrian is not a reason to prevent all unicyclists from riding. The perception of danger is different depending on who is doing the looking- to someone who can’t ride a unicycle it may seem uncontrollable and impossible and a certain recipe for broken skulls. Trucks are allowed on the road and they don’t seem maneuverable and are scary to me but I trust in the skill of the drivers not to squash me.

Good on you for commuting by unicycle Colin. In NZ they have tried to clump unicycles in with the WRD’s too (reminds me of WMD’s), but they haven’t yet redefined the legal definition of “Vehicle”, so while they harp on about a unicycle being a vehicle that must do this and that and stop at the red man (common sense), a vehicle has wheels, so a unicycle is not one. A unicycle is not similar to other wheeled recreational devices, unless you get good at downhill coasting (anyone got any good videos of that? I’ve been practicing it a bit). Being limited by how fast you can pedal makes it relatively safe in my opinion.

I don’t see how enjoying your right to be a unique part of the community makes you a tool. I don’t see these punks that you see, I’m sorry. I see the world with my own eyes. I hear the majority of positive comments from people outweighing the criticism by far.

There already are clear cut rulings, duh! And common sense does prevail but unfortunately, :stuck_out_tongue: it isn’t that common. If you were a victim of Police corruption you might feel differently about having blind faith in their authority. Mistakes can be learned from. As long as we can have some input in the laws as they are being made, there is nothing to fear from them. Now we need to legislate more cycle lanes, shared pathways and cycle-friendly facilities, to help ease the confusion about where is safe to ride. If only people will teach their children to share what they have instead of only looking after #1, perhaps the streets will become friendlier again.

New Plymouth is one of New Zealand’s Model Walking and Cycling Communities, we are hoping to lead by example in how you can change peoples attitudes to make cycling/walking more comfortable and enjoyed by more people. We have a long way to go, but we have to start somewhere…

Man, you are an argumentative tool. Don’t rest so easy being such a f**king nubcake.

Whew!

I agree that 36-ers are not appropriate on pavements/footpaths/sidewalks- I have a lot of experience riding unicycles for transport, from 20" up to 29-ers.

A 29-er with 125’s is OK-ish on the pavement, but only just- on crowded busy footpaths it is considerably less safe than, say a 24".

However good a rider is, occasionally, they will come off- 36-ers have a tendency to travel after a UPD- they could easily hit someone.

Additionally, some pedestrians are more vulnerable than others- small children, women with pushchairs, elderly etc. An infirm pensioner hit by a 36-er post-UPD, or landed on by a UPD-ing rider, could end up seriously hurt.

20" unis are, IMO, innapropriate for the roads- of course they should be allowed on footpaths/pavements- police who say otherwise clearly have no understanding of unicycles or where it is best to ride them.

I feel the ‘grey areas’ currently work to our advantage- whatever size wheel is used, whether it is safest on the road or the sidewalk differs according to specific circumstances- a good rider is the best person to make the decision as to where he/she should be riding under those circumstances.

But, by ‘good rider’ I mean one who is aware that a UPD is, however remote, always a possibility.

On the occasions I ride my 29-er on the sidewalk, if it’s over-crowded, I dismount- as a matter of politeness, I would not ride it near someone who could be badly damaged if I UPD- e.g. infirm pensioners- even if the chances of UPD are super-slim, they don’t know that.

Kyle - please keep us posted

Kyle

I think much of the negatives are likely derived from a stereotype of a self righteous bush lawyer looking for piddling injustices. Some may also infer, as I did, from the pic published in the news article, that you were on a 36" but that is not a pic of you. What pics and vids I have seen are more like 24" or so. The size is not really the point, but it does lead us to stereotypes perhaps.

I don’t see the stereotype being the case here. Rather, from a simple “Officer, you might not be aware but this has already been tested in court” statement to “Righto smug prick, I’m gonna put in the situation where you could wind up wearing a criminal record!” A record that then has to be variously declared in job applications, visa applications, various license applications. Even taking away your right to vote in some jurisdictions. That pretty much determines that you cannot ignore it. Good luck.

I can’t offer any advice or platitudes - you are indeed in crappy place. But just so you know, to me at least your plight seems clear. As does the necessity to fight it.

At the risk of raising the ire of some, I would much like to know where this eventually leads. Could you post the eventual outcome here. If it is indeed as you have stated, I would hope that that will be dropping of the charges.

nubcake : the police told me that Im not only not allowed to be on my unicycle, but that I cant walk where they pulled me over. Strange thing is there was a city bus stop 200 yards from me that people are supposedly able to use. But according to the police officer that bus stop was not usable because you cant walk there. He than told me in complete confidence that my unicycle counts as a bike and I can be ticketed just like a bike. Less than 20 minutes later I finished my research showing that where I live unicycles are not defined. Another story of a bad cop unable to be proved wrong.

So since the police told me no, I should listen? I cant use my city bus? How do I get to work, no unicycle, no bus, no walking? Or should I really make my own judgement and do what makes sense and is safe, and by law, legal?

Sounds like you need to wake up and realize that you have a mind of your own, and for something that is in that “grey area”, you can make your own educated solutions for it.
Besides, like it has been said, most people that ride a uni for transportation feel they have enough skill to do what they need to do. I dont know many people that would ride unsteadily down a footpath at pedestrians and think ‘I am going to stay on the unicycle and do my best not to fall into these people’.

As for the whole problem that this thread was made for, GOOD LUCK. Dont let the man put you down like that.

1 Like

I was wrong about bike helmets in Seattle. They are required by the county Board of Health code for bicycle riders. At the same time a bicycle is something that has at least two wheels 16" or larger.

So my uneducated opinion is that I can still ride a unicycle on Seattle sidewalks under influence and without a helmet.

Now, if the police tells me to stop I will stop at least until they look away, because they have guns and I don’t. This kind of makes the whole argument of standing up to police and defending your understanding of the law a moot point. I would save it for the court, they don’t allow guns there…

Perhaps it is up to us to provide suggested information as a reference for law enforcement agencies. Where should the unicyclist ride?
Shouldn’t: Unacceptable for most roadways, but appropriate for certain areas where other vehicles aren’t allowed either
20": Footpath/pavement/sidewalk mostly. But it depends what the rider is doing. Practicing tricks on a busy footpath? Not cool. Trying to get from A to B? Appropriate.
24-26": And really for most wheel sizes, it’s more about how fast you’re going and what you are doing. If riding slowly enough, mixing with pedestrians is more appropriate than being in traffic. But someone on a 24" that’s training for racing, or just likes to go fast, should be on the shoulder.
28" and up": In most cases, on the shoulder.

Along with such recommendations, if the IUF were to come up with such a thing, would have to be more details. If you’re a beginner or unstable rider, stay away from people. Walk it if there are pedestrians around. If you want to jump trash cans and grind rails, again find a place without pedestrians. Stuff like that.

Would doing all of that change those one-on-one encounters with wayward policemen? No. But if a court actually wants to look for a reference of what’s appropriate for unicycles, there’s a good chance they would take advice from the IUF.

The most vulnerable pedestrians? The ones that aren’t paying attention and make sudden moves. In other words, could be anyone. Watch out for those “people of oblivion”, there are lots of them and you never know who they are! Same applies to people on bikes on my local bike path…

Just my little 2 cents:

I ride my 36er around campus here in Atlanta, and I can’t honestly say I’ve ever gotten a negative response. A 36er can be just fine riding on a sidewalk, just be aware of your speed, and that people can swerve. Whenever I’m passing someone, I go at perhaps a jogging pace, get past them, and away I go. Granted, most people are used to this because of the bikes on sidewalks, but never leave yourself in a position where you could potentially run into someone.

As for bike paths. . . I’m riding my 36er full tilt. . . If there’s a crowd, same as a sidewalk, but I see no reason a 36er can’t use a multi-use path.

In town I stay on sidewalks because it’s Atlanta : / and I keep it slow through intersections (including driveways) , nearly a walking pace. I would almost certainly get a ticket if I tried to ride down Marietta street in the heart of the city. I’ve done it once, and never again I vowed. I also take a route specifically to avoid pedestrian traffic. I maybe come across 2 or 3 people during the 5 mile ride to the local juggling club.

I don’t think wheel size is a big factor as long as you can control your wheel!! I haven’t had a UPD on my Nightrider in a good 3 or 4 months, and even then, I caught it when I fell. Ever time I fall it’s doing something I know is stupid and I shouldn’t do it, and it’s not around people. Control is key. Maintaining control with confidence is essential to riding in crowds, and knowing when to hop off is a life saver.

A police officer has the immediate assumption that you cannot control the unicycle as well as a bicycle, when in fact, I am more maneuverable on my uni and I go slower. Be polite to cops, and they should be polite to you, if I’m told to get off, I’ll get off and walk it, no big deal.

Also, I don’t know if you guys have noticed, but nubcake WILL argue against anything you say, including the sky is blue. I stopped reading his posts a long time ago, most of them are just offensive to be offensive.

oh, and what’s your definition of a “crowd?” because I KNOW you guys aren’t weaving through time square on a 29er on a regular basis : P

this applies to pretty much everything. on the bike trail next to my house(and johnfoss’) the people i always pay special attention to are people who look like amateurs. they dont know that when you yell left or on your left that they are supposed to move right. in fact, i often dont yell at all because they are likely to more the wrong way

Hmm, a misdemeanor for unicycling on the sidewalk…you get a misdemeanor if you run over a cyclist and drive off too. At least if you are rich and live in Colorado:

This is very true! It is even supported by scientific research that proves that certain pedestrians are not capable of noticing a unicycle.

The unequal power reminds me to that time I did a ww after a officer told me to go walking…

True story:
Once long ago (in the previous millenium) I was booked by shopping mall, to ride around in a groep of “Zwarte Pieten” along with “Sinterklaas”.
My train was very delayed, so I rushed to the mall thats connected with the railway station building.
I see 2 police officers, but decided to choose the shortest way and not to avoid them. However…
PO1: “Can you dismount dismount please?”
Leo: dismounts, makes a ‘tada’, and continues riding.
PO1 goes after Leo, and sais he told me not to unicycle.
Leo: “You’ve just ask me to dismount, and so I did, especially for you” (acting like I did it as a favor, as pulling a trick on request)
PO1 (in doubt about my ‘generously’ response): well, it’s not allowed to unicycle here.
Leo: “ok” (walks a few steps and then continues riding)
PO1 get’s annoyed, as he discovers I’m fooling him.
Leo stays calm :slight_smile:
PO1: “I told you it was not allowed to ride here!”
Leo: “No; you told me it was not allowed to ride over there” (pointing to the place few steps back)
PO1: You’re so funny (ironic). You’re not allowed to ride in the entire mall!
Leo: I’m sorry? I’m sure I am, I have to! You can can tell whatever, but I do need to ride in this mall. Even if you send 20 people backup, I will ride my unicycle.
PO2 a Marrocan guy, is more clever than his white collegue.
PO2: but that’s probably in another appearence? (refering to Zwarte Piet)
Leo: yes, but are we discriminating on skin color, eh? I think that’s article 2.
PO2… does not respond anymore.
PO1: well whatever I don’t want to see your riding.
Leo: can you close your eyes?
PO1: No, I will look for you, even trough the cameras. And for now you go walking…
Leo: …does a wheel-walk
PO1: now freaks (especially when I laugh at him), and tells I now will get a ticket.
It becomes clear that I don’t have a problem with authority, but authority has a problem with me.
Leo: shows no regret, and hands ID before it even was requested.
PO1: hands ticket, and tells again not to ride
Leo: walked a few meters more, and ignored the instruction (if I pay a penalty, I want value for money).
Arrived in the dressing room nobody believed I got a fine, untill I showed it.
In the 2nd hour that I was riding around there (dressed as Piet), together with another unicyclist,… we suddenly see 20 police officers. Just like I mentioned.
Me and my big mouth cannot believe they truly pulled up 20 real police officers, to get me off my unicycle. But clearly they’re in front of me now, and staring at me. So I think about what to do. A chase is too dangerous, and escaping is no option anyway. So I decide just to aproach for a dialog, see what that can do.
One officer shouts: “it not allowed to unicycle here”. Followed by a laugh.
It seems more like a joke than serious. And they don’t seem to pay too much attention. It seems like they are not interrested in me at all. So I guess they were there for another reason.
I tell them I just got a penalty. They laugh, thinking I’m joking.
I’m telling them I’m serious. The highest ranked person asks for the paper.
I tell him it’s in the dressing room, he responds that I’m fooling him.
The other unicyclist decides to sprint up and down to the dressing room.
Another officer asks, who would give you a penalty?
They are totaly surprised “Piet” -a hero to all children!- got a penalty (not knowing I got it before my metamorfose).
Another asks: was it this tall blond guy with that small Marrocan?
I confirmed. They respond “couldn’t be anyone else”.
The other unicyclist showed up with the paper, that did not got destroyed, but never ended in further paperwork.

1 Like

that was extremely difficult to read and quite pointless in the end.

It’s definitly a good idea for any authorities wishing to make rules, to take advice from unicyclists, or, more likely, an established organisation that can represent them.

Temptation otherwise, would be to come up with something black and white e.g. unicycles on road/not on sidewalk or vice-versa.

I pretty much agree that-

20" = sidewalk, not road
24"= sidewalk or road
29"= mainly road, sidewalk in some circumstances
36"= road

however, I wouldn’t want those set in stone as laws, because, as several have pointed out, some people are happy and competent to ride 36-ers on sidewalks.

Also, it doesn’t take into account crank size- personally I’m a lot happier riding my 29-er on the sidewalk if it’s got 150’s on- makes the control factor more like a 24/26-er: with 125’s I regard it as primarily a road machine.

What i do think would be very usefull, is some official guidelines for non-unicyclists concerning appropriate behaviour and an understanding of unicycling, including such stuff as-

1. when walking and seeing an approaching competent (see point 2 below) unicyclist- trust in the fact that he/she knows how to ride/steer and simply keep walking in a straight line- do not veer randomly from left to right in an effort to avoid them :slight_smile:

2. ways to spot when a unicyclist is competent at riding- their arms will tend to be relaxed at their side, not waving around

3. when driving- do not pip your horn just because you’ve seen someone on a one-wheeled bike, it’s illegal and distracting

etc, etc

Yep, sometimes I get the impression that some drivers do it deliberately to put me off. A fire engine tried to do that to me once.

Following on from Dave, a bit of advice to unicyclists mixing it with pedestrians - take off the shades while you are onthe path so that the attentive ped has a better chance of reading your intended moves.

I enjoyed you story. It would have been fun to watch that play out. I assume that this was Holland? Discretionary actions by rogue police officers is a most worrisome thing. Yours was a bumbler, as it turned out, but that you felt enough freedom to ‘play’ with him after his initial commands is telling - either of you or of your country.
I spent a decade looking quite counterculture here in the U.S. (while feeling/behaving pretty standard but, sadly, not riding a unicycle), and over that time especially, I lost my sense of ‘confidence’ in dealing with the police as fellows. As a class, they are just too serious and too trained for ‘taking command’. Here, they will ignore most odd or vaguely weird behavior but if they choose to ‘stand and command’, it becomes a double insult if they are mocked or ignored. Double because one would be offending the authority of them as a people and of their badge (the symbol of their authority).

All that said though, I did once stop and holler at a cop through her open window for ‘bullhorning’ me to ride on the sidewalk instead of on the shoulder of a heavily trafficked bridge. It was perfectly legal to be a cyclist among the motorists on that bridge . . .

Update and clarification from Kyle

I was riding a 20 inch at the time. I typically cruise around town on a 29er, but I was on my way to juggling practice and I like to have my 20 inch with me for practice. Because I was on 20 inch and not 29, I felt uncomfortable riding in the roadway. The road I was riding along was a long dark two-lane road where cars tend to go excessively fast (speed limit in NYC is 30 miles per hour.) On 29 inches, I behave as a bicyclist. On 20 inches, I think it’s unsafe to treat my wheel as equal to a bicycle.

When I was pulled over, I was simply on my way to practice. It was almost 8 o’clock, and it was pretty dark. There were few pedestrians anywhere, and none on the sidewalk in front of me. I was not practicing tricks or anything of that nature. I was just riding down the street.

I might also add that I live in a “developing neighborhood”, still rough around the edges, and still lots of crime. I found it ridiculous that two officers would spend 20 minutes issuing me a bogus ticket. My neighborhood is covered by NYPD’s 77th Precinct, which is mired in a bit of controversy. For years, there have been allegations that the police department uses a quota system to keep arrests and citations up. Such quota systems are illegal but are widely used by the police department.
(http://gothamist.com/2010/11/08/daily_news_finds_police_quotas_memo.php)

Anyway, I appreciate the interest in my story. I have talked to a lawyer and the charges will most likely be dropped.

What I find really disturbing, however, is the knowledge that my wheel basically has no legal status in the city. I was issued a disorderly conduct charge because a unicycle is not a bicycle and I could be issued a bicycle on the sidewalk ticket. Am I allowed to use the bike lane? Bike lane is for bicycles only, and my unicycle clearly does not qualify. Could I be cited for that? If unicycle doesn’t have legal status, does anything I do on the unicycle qualify as legal? Will I continue to operate within a gray area of the law, open to the interpretation of whichever officer encounters me at the moment?

Frankly, it’s better to operate in a gray area. Cops will not know the law, so if they want to hassle you and ticket you, they will, whatever the law says. In court, the judge will look at the actual law, and the intent of the law; if the law is not clear for unicycles, and you weren’t causing a problem, the ticket will get thrown out.