Unicycling on "no bicycles allowed" trails

Seriously, +1 :slight_smile:

+1

I warn people I am coming up behind them and am often surprised that they get off the trail completely. They must think I am completely out of control!

Scott

Mostly I’m talking about trails up in Auburn. The ones along the river, in Sacramento are mostly not bike-legal, but many are not marked. Then again, on the east side of Lake Natoma all the dirt trails seem to be legal, while on the opposite side of the lake they are not. That’s an equestrian area. But for your area, I’d go by Tom Holub’s advice, which starts with riding intelligently and not being a nuisance to the walkers.

For Unicon XIV we had to go to Sweden for mountain bike trails! (Extenuating circumstances; legal riding is one thing, but permission to do competitions is another)

Unfortunately it is not that simple. Some people wake up in the morning with their knickers in a twist, and spend their life being a pain. They’re not going to like you on “their” trails even if you’re walking the thing. This is based on some encounters in Auburn, including when walking the unicycle!

Good luck with that! :smiley:

Walter Nilsson probably did it in the 30s or 40s before it was illegal. I believe Jamey was with a pair of Danish scofflaws on that fateful day, but only Jamey got the illustrious ticket. I think this was because the foreigners may have been more or less un-prosecutable…

I’ve been saying this for years! Not so much that, but reminding the other trail users that unicyclists never take a dump in the middle of the trail. :slight_smile:

Erosion? We are probably equal to bikes in mud situations. Our tires are generally wider, and pressing down harder. But the bikes probably do more damage on the steeps. Where we have a very difficult time skidding, unskilled bikers can do it all the way down a hill.

Speed? To a hiker, especially a twisted-knickers one, unicycles = bicycles because both are faster than walking. That’s basically their problem. WE know we’re much slower than bikes, but it doesn’t matter to the people who are slower than we are…

And as for Mike Vandeman, I hope you got the book thrown at you today and banned from the trails! If so, we will drink a toast to you at U Games!

Some bikers got caught a few weeks before us and the ranger told us that apparantly the bikers were laughing it off on some forums so that’s why he had to give me a ticket as they had to start setting examples. I was with two Danish guys at the time but he gave us a break by only giving me the ticket. So much for setting an example…

I think it is pretty simple…

If there was a sign saying “Please don’t walk on the grass” would you ride your uni across and argue that you aren’t walking?

Here in Cali a uni is not a bike legally. I am not beyond exploiting this technicality in defense but wouldn’t ride disrespectfully where I wasn’t welcome. In other words, if there is a “No Bicycles” sign on a trail I won’t ride there. On the other hand if a cop wanted to give me a ticket for riding on the sidewalk I would fight it.

In those instances, I simply do as patrick stewart would do:

I passed hikers today on the trail, they were hiking towards me and they did just that they both stepped out off the trail and waited. I was quite in control and yet they did step off the trail and waited. I think they just figure that a unicycle is “hard” to ride and then put a dirt trail in the mix, that they’d better not be in the way. I think it’s just something many people aren’t used to seeing and don’t understand so they take precautions. That or we just run into very cool people who are polite, :slight_smile:

Interesting. Exactly where did you go, if you don’t mind me asking? I assume it was reachable by train from CPH, as it’s likely many people at Unicon did not have cars with them . . .

I can’t remember the name of the place - it was a ski run in the winter I think. They took us there on buses, over the bridge.

Rob

This is to all who have mentioned hikers who step (completely) off the trail.

Trail etiquette is: bikers yield to hikers and horses and hikers yield to horses.

But in spite of that as a walker/hiker I typically step aside for everyone for the simple fact that it’s easiest for me as a pedestrian to step aside. When I do step aside, and there is no reason not to. I step clearly off the trail to show that it’s my intention to stand clear while they go by. MTB’s usually yell out “thanks” as they go by.

Of course all of this depends on the width of the trail, what’s next to the trail, etc. I’m not going to step into poison oak, or scramble up some cliff to let a MTB go by. (I’ve yet to see a Uni on any trail I’ve been walking on)

If I was trail running I would not be quite as inclined to do so since it’s a loss of momentum, but while walking that 10 second rest is appreciated by my trail weary legs.

So others may simply be affording you that same courtesy and not jumping out of the way of the out-of-control unicyclist. Or maybe they just want to watch you go by.

Now if they yell ‘look out’ with eyes the size of saucers as they hustle little jimmy and jenny out of the way than I think you can assume they think you are out of control.

I guess they think I’m out of control, then. They are thinking correctly…

Haha, that’s true and yeah I always yell thanks. I guess now that you say that, I do step way off the trail for mountain bikers (because I’m the only unicyclist in that area) when I am walking my dog.

I agree with Tom.

the proof for me was when i recognized that a population - a village or something else - which start to earn money with mountain bikers, accommodation, bike stores, food… and so on, care a bullshit about childs, dogs, hikers, safety, nature and suddenly all change to a “MTB paradies”… suddenly all other arguements are gone and the same hardliners who hates bikers befor are now happy with theese mass of them having meal in their restaurant.
for example its the same it was with snowboarders in the alps a couple of years ago - now they are welcome.
people even love mass destruction weapons if they live from!
that does not mean a munirider on a downhilltrail is a mass destruction weapon:p

try to avoid problems
be kind and servile - most idiotes love that;)

I would like a signs like:
“ride slow - give way to pedestrians” if neccessary for safety
" not usalbe for bycycles" if to narrow or bad conditions to ride all passages for a common rider
“avoid erusion - don´t ride if wet”
“dangerous trail for bycycles avoid falling in gorge”
and so on…

that would be much more helpful for all of us.

I knew a road which is closed for bycycles because there is a stair (10steps) after 800meters :thinking:

It may have been mentioned in the Unicon XIV web site, but I don’t remember the name of the place. It was a tiny little ski resort, and it was a 3-hour bus ride starting from the main Unicon venue in Fredericksberg.

Here in Monroe County, NY, riding bikes on trails in county parks is illegal.
We have 21 county parks.
My town owns a park that uses the shared trail concept and bikers are welcome. It works perfectly.
If the county were to purchase this town park, it would suddenly be illegal to ride there, simply because it would be county owned.

So that means the county’s rules have nothing to do with safety or the environment. I think it’s just and easy way to avoid spending the resources to analyze each situation and to remove liability.

That’s not acceptable to many bikers in the area, and several of the county parks are very well known as places to mountain bike. (As an aside, they’re also well maintained by the bikers)

I pretty much just interpret the “No bicycles” signs in county parks as “If you ride a bike here, the county is not liable if you get hurt or hurt someone else… you are.” And “If you do ride, you better by respectful to the trails and people.”

As long as bikers are going to ride them anyway, why not just embrace it and put signs up that would be more useful for everyone… like jogi suggests:

+1

There is a pilot program to open a few of my county’s parks to bikes. The process is painfully slow, but hopefully everyone will soon see that sharing is the right thing to do.

That is pretty funny! I am often checking in on the forum from work and can’t watch videos (too distracting & they make sound). Finally got to see it.

Does this trick work with either gender of police officer?:wink:

Well, at least you’ve got the pilot program. But really what needs to happen is for you to get that local ordinance changed. I suspect there are more bikers in the county than horse riders, yet your ordinance prohibits bikes on “bridle trails” (section 323-15(A)(1) Monroe County, NY Table of Contents). WTF? Sounds like the bikers need to organize and get that changed. Or if you’ve got a bunch of extra money to throw at it, or even better know a law student bicyclist, challenge the ordinance as being unconstitutional for violating equal protection.

While you’re at it, you might want to also get this language changed:
“(3) No rider shall take both hands off the handles or steering mechanism or ride recklessly in any other manner.” :astonished: :smiley:
(section 323-15(A)(3) Monroe County, NY Table of Contents)

I don’t even know of any “bridle trails”, so I’m not concerned about that.
But our bikers really are very well organized. I attended a meeting for the pilot program and the lodge we met in was packed with bikers.
Change is happening, but I don’t know how the county codes will be changed.
Maybe I’ll bring it up at a future meeting.

Hey M.O.B. - sounds like it’s going pretty well. If/when you get to the point of trying to get the ordinance changed, you might look into the history of when and why it was adopted. The reference to bridle paths sounds outdated at best, particularly if there are none or very few of those trails. Anyhow, tying back to the thread topic, I think your efforts of working with bikers to evolve the rules is the way to go.